autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Griots GG6 - Need New Pads - Recommendations?

I’ve got some old Lake Country Flat Foam Pads that are beyond worn out at this point. I’ve got a Griot’s GG6 and the Lake Country Backing Plates. Would love a Flex 3401, but I don’t do enough detailing to justify the cost. I’d like to get some new pads, mostly for detailing an airplane (Beechcraft Bonanza) that my dad and I will be picking up in the next few weeks. I’m not exactly sure what kind of paint is on this plane, but if it’s anything like my Piper Cherokee it is probably pretty hard stuff (might be Imron).

I was thinking the Griot’s BOSS pads would be a good way to go (both 5.5” and possibly 3” variations). Which pads would be recommended as a bare minimum? (Microfiber, Orange, Black?)

EDIT: the more I think about this the more I realize it may be best to just do a 1 step process. Doing multiple stages with multiple pads is going to be incredibly time consuming. I wouldn’t mind a polishing stage and a separate wax stage, but I’m not sure if I want to take on multiple stages of correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots GG6 - Need New Pads - Recommendations?

If Imron---That is one hard paint there! Not sure what I would do. Hold on to those old pads and test to see what happens.
    If one is to cut imron, I prolly be looking at the abrasives before the pads.

Anyways---For a good solid all round working pads suitable for many jobs, get "Polishing pads".

Griots BOSS is good
    Rupes Yellow DA pads is solid all-round.
    Lake Country Force Hybrids is another good one. Orange is polishing pad.

Hard surfaces like gel coats on boats don't respond well at all to soft squishy pads! (This is Mike's quote here).
    With that in mind, buy stiff pads. Polishing pads are reasonably stiff enough for most jobs.

And as for Imron---You may need to kick up the abrasives.

The above are my initial thoughts based on hours of polishing.

I'm sure there are others here who have done planes and may steer you in right direction.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I think if I were doing a plane or other large vehicle, I’d use microfiber pads as they are easily blown out with compressed air, which removes product and reduces heat. You’d need a lot fewer pads. I use Meguiars fine and cutting microfiber pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    If Imron---That is one hard paint there! Not sure what I would do. Hold on to those old pads and test to see what happens.
    If one is to cut imron, I prolly be looking at the abrasives before the pads.

Anyways---For a good solid all round working pads suitable for many jobs, get "Polishing pads".

Griots BOSS is good
    Rupes Yellow DA pads is solid all-round.
    Lake Country Force Hybrids is another good one. Orange is polishing pad.

Hard surfaces like gel coats on boats don't respond well at all to soft squishy pads! (This is Mike's quote here).
    With that in mind, buy stiff pads. Polishing pads are reasonably stiff enough for most jobs.

And as for Imron---You may need to kick up the abrasives.

The above are my initial thoughts based on hours of polishing.

I'm sure there are others here who have done planes and may steer you in right direction.

Tom
    Thanks - the paint is in great shape. I don’t suspect I will need to or want to do too much correction, but it would be nice to have the appropriate pads if I did need to some correction.