autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

new G9 user with pad questions

I recently bought the G9 after never using a polisher before. I can see how it makes the job quicker and a lot less tiring. I believe our vehicles are in very good condition, that is, no swirls that I can see.
    The vehicles are garaged at home and I am fortunate enough to be able to park in a garage at work.

My questions are:

If I am primarily using the polisher to apply polish and wax, will I get any benefit using the 5" backing plate and the 5.5" pads?

Will I still experience pad stalling?

If I do get the smaller plate, what names are recommended? Lake Country, etc or should I stick with Griots pads? How about using a thinner pad?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new G9 user with pad questions

Quote Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
    I recently bought the G9 after never using a polisher before. I can see how it makes the job quicker and a lot less tiring. I believe our vehicles are in very good condition, that is, no swirls that I can see.
    The vehicles are garaged at home and I am fortunate enough to be able to park in a garage at work.

My questions are:

If I am primarily using the polisher to apply polish and wax, will I get any benefit using the 5" backing plate and the 5.5" pads?

If I do get the smaller plate, what names are recommended? Lake Country, etc or should I stick with Griots pads? How about using a thinner pad?

Using the 5.5" pad set up allows you to get into tighter areas. The 6.5" set up would benefit you if you were doing mostly large, flat panels.

That said, I use the 5.5" on my Ram truck which has a ton of large, flat areas. I just find it to be more user-friendly and easier to handle.

As for stalling, you really have to try and get the G9 to stall. It has tons of power.

I like the Griot's backing plates, but Lake Country or Maguire's make very solid BP's and I have never had a problem with either.

As for pads, Lake Country flat pads and GG BOSS pads are both excellent. Since you stated you do not need much correction, you might not need thinner pads with all of the power the G9 has.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree on the power of the G9 not allowing it to stall. It definitely has more power than the GG6 but it depends on the body lines/curves. I have a fairly large sweeping body line on my 2012 Acura TL and I had trouble polishing it (well) with the G9. I got it done but it wasn’t easy.

As far as p\backing plates, I sticking with the Griot vented backing plate though I haven’t used the 6”, I pretty much immediately stuck on the 5” backing plate.

I’ve used Meguiar’s microfiber pads for some things though definitely not curves. On the curves I used Rupes blue, yellow, and white DA pads though I’m not as much of a fan as the Velcro isn’t as strong. I do like the Griot pads and they work well with the Griot polishes so I’d probably recommend starting there. Also easier than figuring which if the many Lake Countey pads to go with. I have since bought a cordless Flex CBeast gear-driven polisher and paired it with B&S Uro-Tec pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StevieG View Post

My questions are:

For the G9 machine the Backing Plate has to be Griot’s only. That design requires you to use their NEW plates for the G9.

Next for pad choices, you are open to any brand of pads you like.

In our Show Car Detailing class at AG with Mike Phillips, we used G9 matched to Buff & Shine Urotech foam pads. When we used the GG BOSS long throws we used GG BOSS pads.

I suggest the thin to standard thickness pads of any brand on my G9. I have the 5-inch GG plate. It gives me more rotational force with less stalling. When you do buy, get at least 6 and have fun in your garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Just used the G9 and G8 for the first time this week. In tight curves, you can stall both so you'll need to mark your backing plate/pad and keep an eye on it. You can always bump up the speed.

I went with the Griots 5" backing plate and have mostly used the Griots (non-BOSS) pads so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Just used the G9 and G8 for the first time this week. In tight curves, you can stall both so you'll need to mark your backing plate/pad and keep an eye on it. You can always bump up the speed.

I went with the Griots 5" backing plate and have mostly used the Griots (non-BOSS) pads so far.
    Every free-spinning machine will be prone to stalling on curves. It's just a matter of learning how to use the tool properly in those situations.

That said, the G9 did very well for me compared to other RO machines on curves. Impressive, actually.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes VISITOR, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the G9 doesn't come with a 5" Backing Plate, this would need to be bought to use 5.5" Pads.

And as others have touched upon, and IMO as well, 5.5" Pads will be about as large as one would wish to use on regular autos, trucks, SUVs.

If only using for waxing, mild polishes and glazes for now, and don't see any immediate need for such more aggressive Pads, then the softest Pads within a manufacturer's line would be a good place to start. They can be used with more aggressive Polishes-Swirl Removers for final finishing.

Keep in mind there will be areas on a vehicle that will still require hand application, no way around it.

For waxing, no need to worry about stalling, or the need of using the higher speeds on the machine. Probably speed 3-4 will be adequate.

And as for removal of waxes, sealants and even Glazes, yes, a Tool such as this could be used, with the correct size Foam Pad, and the purchase of correct size Microfiber, or Terry Cloth Bonnets.

The machine will work the same as many of those big box store waxing machines you might have seen sold.

Having a good selection and number of Pads is always good. I'm not saying 20-30 Pads, but one should have a good 5-6 Pads of each type to have on hand. So, to start, let's say perhaps a dozen Pads total.

The Pads, just like Polishes, have different degrees of aggressiveness. A very soft waxing Pad will likely fall short and be ineffective when it comes time to do more aggressive correction to remove swirls, light scratches, hazing-clouding.

Not saying one would likely need compounds, but more effective swirl remover type products, and thus might likely need a slightly more aggressive Pad to team with such.

Hope this helps.

10. Likes seanktm liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. This was very helpful!