autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting down MF pads

Anyone have experience with cutting out or punching out larger pads to make smaller ones? mainly I'm looking at microfiber pads. I know there is a punch that is sold to do this but I recently ordered some MF pads that were too big for my polisher. I cut them down an inch with scissors and after fluffing away the outer material, they seem to be working just fine. I ordered some small MF pads from AG but they are now on back order. The smaller pads (around 2") are really the same price as something like a 6" pad. I could get several 2" pads out of one 6" pad so I'm thinking about just changing my order and cutting them out. I looked at that punch but it is pretty expensive. If I were making a lot, it might be worth it but I only need a few. Cutting them out with scissors is not perfect but it is close enough to where it is just a cosmetic/visual difference.

I've used the 6" ones that I cut down several times so far and they seem to be working just fine.

Anyone have any experience/input on cutting out small MF pads from larger ones?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting down MF pads

Mike Philips has done that before. It seemed to work for him so as long as you trim the edges properly you good to go.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting down MF pads

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Mike Philips has done that before. It seemed to work for him so as long as you trim the edges properly you good to go.
    AG did ship my pads yesterday so that is good. I might still order some larger pads and cut them down. I'm wondering if I might be able to find some circular metal device that would work as a punch in order to punch out some smaller pads. During one of my daily trips to the home improvement store I might just need to take a walk around.