autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me find good pad - compound combo for first polish

Hi!

I'm finally going to buy myself a DA polisher. As I don't have couple hundred Euros to spend I thought about buying 650W(Is that enough?) DAS-6 V2 with 5" backing plate polisher (69euros) and some Rupes pads and compound.
    Before polishing I'll wash car, do a tar removal, clay bar.

Will this list be OK for 2 stage polish?

250ml (8Oz) Rupes Zephir compound (1.stage)
    250ml (8Oz) Rupes Keramik compound (2. stage)
    5 Rupes Blue pads (1.stage)
    5 Rupes Yellow pads (2.stage)

Are 5 and 5 pads enough to do whole car (Jaguar XF 2012)? Should I buy etc 6 blue and 4 yellow pads or something entirely different?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English - not my first language

Mike Phillips

Re: Help me find good pad - compound combo for first polish

The DAS-6 is actually a fairly powerfull 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher.

Definitley get a 5" backing plate to take advantage of the power.

I'm a huge fan of the RUPES compounds, polishes and pads. I'm more of a blue/blue then white/white guy but blue/blue followed by yellow/yellow will work too.

I'd get at least 6 of the blue pads for the compounding step. This is a very coarse foam type BUT as it gets wet with product you'll lose cut. You can probably get away with just 2-3 of the yellow pads.

3. Thanks kev95 thanked for this post
    Likes kev95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello kev95 welcome to AGO!

I believe you would be better served getting the DAS 6 PRO (900 watt version) vs the 650 watt unit. Other than that, follow Mike's advice and you will get the results you are after.

5. Thanks kev95 thanked for this post
    Likes kev95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely agree with Mike. Those blue rupes foam pads cut well at first but significantly less once saturated and the foam gets warm.

If you have access to compressed air I'd personally get microfiber cutting pads. Not saying the blue rupes pads are bad pads but personally I feel like they are more difficult for a novice than microfiber cutting pads. If you haven't used them I can almost guarantee you'll sling compound all over the place the first time.

Personally I'd invest in some 5" boss microfiber cutting pads. The long nap fibers and soft foam interface make for about the most user friendly experience especially on concave/convex panels. The fibers will even get down into emblems (if you decided to polish over them).

7. Thanks kev95 thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k, kev95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The DAS-6 is actually a fairly powerfull 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher.

Definitley get a 5" backing plate to take advantage of the power.

I'm a huge fan of the RUPES compounds, polishes and pads. I'm more of a blue/blue then white/white guy but blue/blue followed by yellow/yellow will work too.

I'd get at least 6 of the blue pads for the compounding step. This is a very coarse foam type BUT as it gets wet with product you'll lose cut. You can probably get away with just 2-3 of the yellow pads.

Thanks! At least Im going in the right direction. This will be my very first polish so ...
    I thought maybe white/white would be too fine after blue/blue - If you think it would be better that way I could always buy white instead of yellow as the price is same.

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    Hello kev95 welcome to AGO!

I believe you would be better served getting the DAS 6 PRO (900 watt version) vs the 650 watt unit. Other than that, follow Mike's advice and you will get the results you are after.
    As the price is quite different between those two here (Estonia) - 69euros vs 149euros. I think I'll give 650watt unit a try + it already comes with 5 inch backing plate whereas 900w version comes with 6" backing plate.

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Definitely agree with Mike. Those blue rupes foam pads cut well at first but significantly less once saturated and the foam gets warm.

If you have access to compressed air I'd personally get microfiber cutting pads. Not saying the blue rupes pads are bad pads but personally I feel like they are more difficult for a novice than microfiber cutting pads. If you haven't used them I can almost guarantee you'll sling compound all over the place the first time.

Personally I'd invest in some 5" boss microfiber cutting pads. The long nap fibers and soft foam interface make for about the most user friendly experience especially on concave/convex panels. The fibers will even get down into emblems (if you decided to polish over them).
    I don't have access to compressed air sadly. Without compressed air should I still prefer foam or would microfiber be better? Sadly I can't find Boss microfiber cutting pads in Estonia.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Sonax is a German company. That might be easier to get in Estonia.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are able to get your hands on Sonax products then Cut Max and Perfect Finish would get my vote. I like Rupes Keramik and it does a pretty good job. Meguiar's M110/M210 would be another nice combo to look at.

What brands are you able to get your hands on?

Post Thanks / Like

Can ya post pictures of the paint damage?
    The blue rupes pad is pretty aggressive and you very well may be more then good with, Sonax Cutmax which is a amazing compound like The Guz said, and a rupes yellow pad which is also a nice pad, not only for compounding but also polishing.

Menzerna 400 is also another amazing compound that finishes out very nice especially with a rupes yellow.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine