autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Center cooling hole in foam pads

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I went over a few spots again with compound using the tricks more carefully SWETM and others have given, and its working much better now! I was def using to much compound and over working the pads some. Thanks Tony and everyone!
    Awesome to hear that you where able to dial it in more!

You are welcome and I like how so many are so helpfull. Next time it can be any of us that needs some help.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Car turned out pretty nice, even though there was the paint blown in on a few spots I could see the outline of on the DS :/ (see my other thread.) I followed some of the advice from SWETM and others and used speed 4 instead of 5, and not as much compound, and it turned out much better then using a bit more compound and speed 5 (and rushing at times lol). I did this for the polish too (speed 4, only primed them with about 4 drops, then 3 from then on, and did a bit smaller areas.) With the polish the pads didn't seem to get anywhere near as hot as the compounding and always seem cool/fine to the touch.

It turned out pretty good for my first actual correction, polish and wax (I've polished a few cars in the past and waxed, but nothing like this, so was an interesting learning experience.)

The only topper was as I literally finished and walked into my garage, it started to rain and has been raining off/on since :/ (just the way my luck usually goes!) lol...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

3. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you just have gotten the test spots dialed in and you have your combos. It's such of joy polishing the whole car. That with getting the right amount of compound and polish on the pad and how it reacts on the paint can be so different. Also when you are on the low with the amount of pads you have available when you going to be polishing the whole car it's even more important. To be able to stretch the pads use longer by even by little. Saves the pads to get more durability out from them. Of course there are other ways to do this too. But then it's very important to have more pads at hand. To get the most even results and also being able to use the pads more than just a couple of times.

The more you do it the more you understand it and can tweak what you are doing on the fly. It's just something that you get by polishing and is almost impossible to learn by reading about. Then we can look at it in different ways and have different tools to do it. But as long as we selfs gets satisfied is all that counts. Now it's the thing to use tools and equipments and chemical products and methods to have the paint looking awesome as long as possible. And so a polish step is enough every year or every other year. So you save as much of the clearcoat as possible. That's not so easy to be doing as it's something that you do over such a long time. Also to find something that you like doing so it don't takes forever to wash a car LOL.

Great work and awesome to see your follow up of your experience. Thank you for that.

/ Tony

5. Likes Icarus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only if your lonely.

7. Likes Jayfro, rangerbay, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a wood drill bit to drill a center hole in one of my foam polishing pads. Not sure if it will make a difference or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16mm hole punch I might try next round for my DD soon...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take. On a long throw polisher the center hole is functional. It should reduce heat and surface area. As to how much that translates into real world differences probably is dependent on the particular foam in a particular pad.

Post Thanks / Like

When I did my DD last year with this new G9 I got I remember the centers getting pretty warm. I did overwork it with one pad (the first) and ruined it.
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Arg, as usual, I do any car but my own and the weather stays nice for weeks... I do my own car and it rains within <24hr, grr... lol...

I still can't figure out why this G9 makes the center of the pads so hot, still had a minor issue with one pad, but after I figured out it was the heat and swapped it out I was fine then on... Is there any kind of spacer that might help prevent the xfer of heat to the backing plate (the washer is on the machine)?

Still haven't tried the 16mm hole punch I have to see if it helps with cooling, maybe I will when I do my moms car next week as its pretty bad...

Tony's tips definitely helped in the 5-6 cars I did this year, thanks again
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Arg, as usual, I do any car but my own and the weather stays nice for weeks... I do my own car and it rains within <24hr, grr... lol...

I still can't figure out why this G9 makes the center of the pads so hot, still had a minor issue with one pad, but after I figured out it was the heat and swapped it out I was fine then on... Is there any kind of spacer that might help prevent the xfer of heat to the backing plate (the washer is on the machine)?

Still haven't tried the 16mm hole punch I have to see if it helps with cooling, maybe I will when I do my moms car next week as its pretty bad...

Tony's tips definitely helped in the 5-6 cars I did this year, thanks again
    Swap out your pads more often (5-6) per color.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast