autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many pads?: Discussion!!

I started using only two pads and the results weren’t good so I took Mike advice and now I use 9-11 pads per Vehicle
    Time is money!!

2. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently tried apex detail way of 1 pad and after each pad blowing out with compressed air running machine on low speed it does work after each section clean pad with air. I spray onr liberally into pad try to then clean with a microfiber towel then blow out pad with air. I was able to do car this only really works with microfiber or wool.

Did not work so good with foam because it just pushed the crud into pad

Post Thanks / Like

We worked on a same car with another detailer just to see if there was any real benefits to this pad-jam-bo-ree of switching pads for each panel. We did the cutting part so that he used fresh pad on each section and blew and vac'd the pad after every time and I did the same on my side, but used only 1 pad. Both used same machines, same amount of passes, same amount of product on each pass etc. The end result was so similar that I couldn't justify the changing pads after every panel any longer. For wool and MF pads I use Tornador to blow them clean after each cut and I also vacuum them after blowing them. The way I have this process set up it only take 5 secs each time to vacuum. I always keep the temps as low as possible and still keep moving the machine slow. No heat build up and the chemicals I use don't require tons of priming and they don't get clogged up this way. This works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think to a certain degree this depends on whether you are using open cell or closed cell foam. Theoretically, closed cell foam leaves more on the pad surface than an open cell pad. Also, it seems that thicker pads absorb more product and get heavier than the thinner pads. It also depends on the particular product and the lubricants in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    I think to a certain degree this depends on whether you are using open cell or closed cell foam. Theoretically, closed cell foam leaves more on the pad surface than an open cell pad. Also, it seems that thicker pads absorb more product and get heavier than the thinner pads. It also depends on the particular product and the lubricants in it.

Maybe theoretically but..... I have used a ton of closed cell pads in my lifetime. They still become wet and less effective at the same rate as open called pads. Also closed cell pads wear out much quicker, so swapping them frequently will help lengthen the lifespan of the pad.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lake Country Pad Washer Bucket and McKees Pad Cleaner Powder but haven’t used it yet. I’d guess the pad washer not only cleans the pad between sections but also cools the pad down before spinning out the moisture. Maybe this would be a good process for those who rotate few pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Maybe theoretically but..... I have used a ton of closed cell pads in my lifetime. They still become wet and less effective at the same rate as open called pads. Also closed cell pads wear out much quicker, so swapping them frequently will help lengthen the lifespan of the pad.
    I've got several different brand pads and some are 15 years old and the only pads that I've had the foam break down on are the LC white pads. They are nice polishing pads but the foam seems to degrade over time.

Post Thanks / Like

I lost all my pads due to foam degradation. They just don't hold up.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of what was said in this thread two years ago.

Swap out your pad constantly. If you’re doing this for money, it’s a must.

Anytime I have a flash of thought that my pad isn’t good, I just pull it off and slap a new one on. Then when you go to clean them they’re not totally caked with crap and will clean up nicely. Last longer, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post

Did not work so good with foam because it just pushed the crud into pad

Yep. Better off to just use a brush and scrape the face of the pad or switch to a clean dry pad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123