autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many pads?: Discussion!!

without getting to far in and saying what has already been stated, I use 1 pad per panel and sometimes 1 pad per 2 panels just that's based off size, if the fenders are small enough ill use one pad for both etc. hood and roof are most times "2panels" for me.

as a do it at home guy, if you cant afford a lot of pads then yes you can use a few and just wash, dry and rotate, it will take more time but normally you have that time so its not as big of an issue.

2. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Also just to point out for anyone new to machine polishing....

When you turn a polisher up to full speed, for example the 5-6 speed setting on pretty much any free spinning or gear-driven orbital polisher, the way I describe the action at the backing plate and pad lever is,

Violent

You have all of these things taking place at the pad level,

1: Hi speed oscillation.

2:Hi speed rotation.

3:Downward pressure.

4:Chemical interaction - mostly the liquids that penetrate into the foam and then make their way "through" the adhesive and "through" the velcro hoop material on the back of the pad until they deposit onto the velcro loop material on the face of the backing plate.

5:Time - making section passes.

6:Heat - This is created by all of the above influences. And remember, a wet pad will hold heat better than a dry pad with air in it.

Just wanted to throw that in the mix, I share this in all my classes when talking about pad use and pad abuse.

4. Thanks VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use all 8 of my polishing pads to buff out my Honda Accord. Followed by a single finishing pad for sealant (I have one as a spare too). I also have 8 cutting pads.

My brother recently asked me to buff out his GMC Sierra 2500HD. I told him I'd need to buy more pads before even trying. I'm thinking I need another 6 each of cutting and polishing to do such a large vehicle.

However, I'll probably do the truck over 2 days, so I can probably clean and dry the pads I have at night between those 2 days.

Post Thanks / Like

I have posted this in other threads, and some people wig out, but I will use upward of 20 pads on my Ram.

Yes, 20. I have used 4 on the hood alone. (Ram hoods are huge). Pads are always a snap to clean afterward, and they still look brand new.

More pads= better job, less pad wear, easier cleaning...............
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes FUNX650, custmsprty, WaxMaster1, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The owners of my shop micro manage too much for me to do that no matter how much I try explaining the benefits to them,,they trip over dollars to save nickels.
    So I just continue using a couple pads per vehicle and it is what it is.
    I buy my own waxing pads (Griots red) and thats about it,,they are stuck in 60's mentally and shopwise,,we only get new equipment because GM makes us.
    I also buy my own microfiber towels and some other stuff just so I can clean a car to MY satisfaction,,just waiting for something better to come along..

sorry about the rant,,I want to do the quality work you guys do but my hands are tied and I just do the best I can with what I got.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    The owners of my shop micro manage too much for me to do that no matter how much I try explaining the benefits to them,,they trip over dollars to save nickels.
    So I just continue using a couple pads per vehicle and it is what it is.
    I buy my own waxing pads (Griots red) and thats about it,,they are stuck in 60's mentally and shopwise,,we only get new equipment because GM makes us.
    I also buy my own microfiber towels and some other stuff just so I can clean a car to MY satisfaction,,just waiting for something better to come along..

sorry about the rant,,I want to do the quality work you guys do but my hands are tied and I just do the best I can with what I got.
    I feel your pain. At the dealer I work for, I just turn my head when walking by the detail guys.

Gives me a low-grade nausea. :/
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post

are stuck in 60's mentally and shopwise,,we only get new equipment because GM makes us.

While I know there are some new car dealerships that probably do it right, in my life, my own experience is I've never been to, dealt with, called on a single dealership where the people in charge knew anything about proper detailing or cared about the topic.

Never let a dealership wash or detail your car.

Unless you're the type of person that looks at your car as merely transportation then go for it.

13. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion that is because a huge percentage of their customers don't care about proper detailing done to what they perceive as a "new" vehicle. Add to that the dealer cost for them to do it correctly...a cost they feel is uneccessary.

Post Thanks / Like

To put the dissussion back on topic of how many pads ,,
    If you are doing production detailing would you still use as many pads? More? Less?

I would guess the same because as Mike (and others)stated its quicker so it would seem a production shop would want to keep at least 50 clean pads on hand
    Asking for a friend who is thinking about opening his own shop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    While I know there are some new car dealerships that probably do it right, in my life, my own experience is I've never been to, dealt with, called on a single dealership where the people in charge knew anything about proper detailing or cared about the topic.

Never let a dealership wash or detail your car.

Unless you're the type of person that looks at your car as merely transportation then go for it.

I hear ya Mike,,we don't do details off the street,only the dealerships used cars and a select few Body Shop cars and possibly a couple of the good customers.

I only do 3 maybe 4 cars a week because I am slow and methodical (and thorough) which is probably why I haven't opened my own shop by now, but that is not out of the picture

I make the cars look really good considering the products I use and they sell fast because they look so much better than the other local dealers cars

I worked as a production detailer for about 6 months when I was in my 20's and it really left a bad taste in my mouth because the owner didn't love cars but he loved money and I didn't agree with how the cars were done and how was forced to do them so I walked

but as I said earlier if I had it my way I would be using some of the fine products mentioned here and not so much of the cheap grade detail products.

I buy my own Microfiber towels,,some waxes,some buffing pads,my poilshers,backing plates and my detail supply has Jescar and Menzerna so I may those and give them a whirl,,he is also getting a new selection of pads ut not sure where they are from

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast