autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

B&S Uro-Tec or HDO pads for 15mm machine? What matching PC pads to choose?

I am getting back into detailing/correction (hobbyist) after about a 11 break, other than wash, decon/clay, LSP (I had to check my join date). I have a PC that used the old LC flat orange, white, blacks. I didn’t really like those pads and they got trashed in the Florida humidity and heat (distingrated). I have heard good things about Buff and Shine and the LC HDO pads? If I have both a Long Throw and 8" DA would I want the same pad system? I don’t want to have too many options as this is just for my cars and some friends i dont need one of everything just a good system for my 3 cars initially. I never used the LC black pads as i always found i would apply LSP or cleaners like PS21 cleaner by hand. How do the uro-tecs compare, or should I be looking at the HDO?
    I have an old PC with 5’ backing plate that rotted out so im in the market to build from scratch. Here is what I am thinking of moving into and I need help with the pads (and really the polisher)

1. Get new 5’ Backing plate for the PC
      1. Do I want the same pads for this as the 15mm and 3 inch PC but in 5’ ?

2. Get additional 3’ backing plate for the PC
      1. Do I want the same pads for this as the 15mm and 8mm PC but in the smaller size?

3. Get 15mm throw polisher with 5" backing plate (not sure of the brand but not rupes, maybe adams/torq)
      1. Get Maguaris 6” MF cutting pad - Do I need this if getting the maroon cutting pad?
      2. Get Buff Shine 6” Marron cutting pad
      3. Get Buff Shine 6’ Yellow heavy polish pad
      4. Get Buff Shine 6’ White Pad - is this pad necessary is it like the LC white or the black?

So many questions. Basically if you were going to start over with a PC and 15mm machine what pad set for the hobbyist that works well, wont breakdown, and has good cut and finish? Any particular backing plate, my LC PC backing plate the foam rotted away.

Thanks!
    Last edited by estcstm3; 03-28-2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: updated for readability sometimes i can not write!

2. Likes Detallado Faraon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: B&S Uro-Tec or HDO pads for 15mm machine? What matching PC pads to choose?

The detailer I trust to accompany me on high end jobs asked me a similar question.

He regularly uses his PC daily at his job, but also makes use of a Flex 3401, and Rupes 21es. All have 5" plates.

I recommended the Lake Country HDO line for maximum compatability with each tool. So far he absolutely loves them on any of the tools he uses.

I would do the exact same thing if I had to choose one line of pads for all those tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    I am getting back into detail (hobbyist) after about a 11 break, other than wash, decon/clay, LSP (I had to check my join date). I have a PC that used the old LC flat orange, white, blacks. I didn’t really like those pads and they got trashed in the florida humity and heat (distingrated). I have heard good things about Buff and Shine and the LC HDO pads? If I have both a Long Throw and 8,, DA would I want the same pad system? I don’t want to have too many options as this is just for my cars and some friends. I never used the LC black pads only the orange and white. How do the uro-tecs compare, or should I be looking at the HDO?
    I have an old PC with 5’ backing plate. Here is what I am thinking of moving into and I need help with the pads.

1. Get new 5’ Backing plate for the PC
      1. Do I want the same pads for this as the 15mm and 3 inch PC but in 5’ ?

2. Get additional 3’ backing plate for the PC
      1. Do I want the same pads for this as the 15mm and 8mm PC but in the smaller size?

3. Get 15mm throw polisher with 5" backing plate (not sure of the brand but not rupes, maybe adams/torq)
      1. Get Maguaris 6” MF cutting pad - Do I need this if getting the maroon cutting pad?
      2. Get Buff Shine 6” Marron cutting pad
      3. Get Buff Shine 6’ Yellow heavy polish pad
      4. Get Buff Shine 6’ White Pad - is this pad necessary is it like the LC white or the black?

So many questions. Basically if you were going to start over with a PC and 15mm machine what pad set for the hobbyist that works well, wont breakdown, and has good cut and finish? Any particular backing plate, my LC PC backing plate the foam rotted away.

Thanks!
    First of all both are top of the line pads. You can't go wrong either way. I like the eurotechs but the hdo pads are also very good. You would have to try both to see what you like better. It's not like 1 choice is good and the other is terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    First of all both are top of the line pads. You can't go wrong either way. I like the eurotechs but the hdo pads are also very good. You would have to try both to see what you like better. It's not like 1 choice is good and the other is terrible.
    Also why do you say "not a rupes" they arguably have the best 15mm polisher available on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

You've done a great job narrowing it down to the best option from each company. I have more experience with B&S uro-tec Maroon and yellow pads than any other foam pad. They are an outstanding option and very well balanced for a 15mm long-throw polisher. They also work great on 8mm DA's.

That said, I recently tried the orange HDO pad and I really liked it. The rubberized interface on those pads seems to help reduce vibration and the orange foam is in between the maroon and yellow uro-tecs in terms of aggressiveness.

I've heard amazing things about the blue HDO cutting pad but I've also heard that it's incredibly stiff.

I personally prefer a microfiber cutting pad to stiff foam pad. The HDO microfiber cutting pad is the best quality and performance you can expect out of a microfiber pad.

I saw you mentioned buying the 6" microfiber pads for your 5" backing plate. You actually want to get the 5.25" or 5.5" microfiber cutting pads. The reason you want the 6" uro-tec pad with a 5" backing plate is because of the taper edge which microfiber pads don't really have. I don't want you to buy the 6.5" megs mf cutting pads and once they arrive realize they are the wrong size.

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice all! I just found out that Justin Labato the Buff and Shine lead instructor has a shop in my town, ill try to swing by his business to see if maybe i can see some pads in person.

Since i only have hands on experience with the old Orange White Black LC flat pads. Where does the uro tec and HDO pads cut fall? iS the HDO more or less than the flat Orange? Is the Marron more less than the orange? Is the Uro tech Yellow more or less than the LC white?

Since i dont do this as a profession its hard to learn to experimentation without buying tons of products that will never get used.

Concerning the Rupes....its partly budget. I figure any of the new tools will be a step up from my old PC. im sure they are nice quality but not sure if i want to be in the Rupes "System" of pads and polishes. For my needs does a 15mm long throw sound like a good addition or should I be looking at something else like force rotation of the flex? I just came across a youtube review by Dallas Paint correction about the maxshine polishers which look interesting. Outside of PC (being the OG), Flex and Rupes, they are all Chinese knockoffs so why not get the cheapest best performing of those if im not getting a flex or rupes is my rationale (atleast for now =).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    You've done a great job narrowing it down to the best option from each company. I have more experience with B&S uro-tec Maroon and yellow pads than any other foam pad. They are an outstanding option and very well balanced for a 15mm long-throw polisher. They also work great on 8mm DA's.

That said, I recently tried the orange HDO pad and I really liked it. The rubberized interface on those pads seems to help reduce vibration and the orange foam is in between the maroon and yellow uro-tecs in terms of aggressiveness.

I've heard amazing things about the blue HDO cutting pad but I've also heard that it's incredibly stiff.

I personally prefer a microfiber cutting pad to stiff foam pad. The HDO microfiber cutting pad is the best quality and performance you can expect out of a microfiber pad.

I saw you mentioned buying the 6" microfiber pads for your 5" backing plate. You actually want to get the 5.25" or 5.5" microfiber cutting pads. The reason you want the 6" uro-tec pad with a 5" backing plate is because of the taper edge which microfiber pads don't really have. I don't want you to buy the 6.5" megs mf cutting pads and once they arrive realize they are the wrong size.
    In another thread i thought i saw you rate the cut and finish of the different microfibers do you have that handy?

9. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    In another thread i thought i saw you rate the cut and finish of the different microfibers do you have that handy?
    Uro-fiber pads work great for heavy correction although I would give a slight edge in cutting ability to meguiars MF pads and Lake Country HDO Microfiber pads. I think many guys (including myself) have started using Uro-fiber pads for 1-step corrections on normal and harder paints. When paired with mild compounds like Boss Correcting Cream, Scholl Concepts S20 Black, Sonax cut & finish, & HD Adapt OR with cleaner waxes like HD Speed, Boss Finishing Sealant, D166, & blackfire one step the uro-fiber pad generally finishes better than the other two microfiber pads I mentioned.

Comparing other MF cutting pads:
    IMO the soft foam interface and longer fibers on the Boss microfiber makes it the most user friendly microfiber pad on the market. It performs the best on concave surfaces and runs very cool which provides a really nice user experience. On the downside, the foam interface is IMO the least tolerable to pressure and long buffing sessions. These pads need to be switched out every panel if you want them to last.

Meg's Microfiber cutting pads are a staple of the industry. They cut more than the boss Microfiber and the uro-fiber pads and they finish incredibly well for the cut they provide. Unfortunately, velcro backing isn't great especially for long-throw polishers. The open-cell foam interface IS slightly more durable than the Boss Microfiber, but these pads require the user to constantly rotate pads to allow the foam interface to cool. These microfiber pads EASILY get the hottest and unfortunately they aren't made with a center cooling chamber like the others. If you are compounding a full sized sedan you will need to have at least 6 Megs MF pads that you rotate constantly if you want them to last. Otherwise these pads will only last 1-3 buffing sessions.

The Lake Country HDO Microfiber pad is a BEAST. It cuts as much if not more than the Meguiar's microfiber. I consider the HDO microfiber and the regular LC MF cutting pad to be the best option for guys using a 12mm 15mm or 21mm long throw polishers and need a pad for performing HEAVY 2-step correction. These pads are incredibly durable if you switch them out after every few panels. They clean up well and I have no doubts that just one LC MF pad will last longer than 5-6 meguiars MF cutting pads. Like the uro-fiber pad, the LC open-cell foam interface is EXTREMELY durable.

I'm not sure if this is the post you were talking about. Almost all of my posts are on foam pads, microfiber pads, HD Polish+, or HD Speed.lol

11. Thanks dwaleke, seanktm thanked for this post
    Likes Ronin47, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a long throw polisher, another microfiber pad option is the new Rupes offering. They remind me of a more robust, cooler running Meguiar's disc. They'll also work great on a standard tool, like the PC. They're vented, which keeps the temperatures down, and the substrate is very firm, maximizing plate motion.

If you were only to use an 8mm tool, the original Buff and Shine are some of my favorites. They might not finish as well, but cut like a banshee. The fibers resist matting and are easily cleaned with a pad brush. The drawback is that on a large stroke tool, they might not last as long.

Post Thanks / Like

great info. I guess i meant more the scale of cut vs finish. YOu ranked 1-10 for each.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast