autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New LC Flat Pads - Change in Cutting / Finishing Order?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    You guys are over thinking it, the green and white pads will get you the same results. I do agree on having a fewer pad system to all pad line ups, preferably like Meguiars, 3 pads and done. Cut,Polish,Finish.

From the LC and BnS lineup my favourites are Yellow,Orange,Green.
    It’s not that I can’t pick out the pads I’d want, I just get more irritated that they even offer them to begin with.

Like I said though.. this isn’t my profession, so perhaps the nuanced differences are noticeable to someone that does do it for a living.

I think the real shame is for newcomers that just don’t know any better. You can go down such a rabbit hole chasing down all these different pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    It’s not that I can’t pick out the pads I’d want, I just get more irritated that they even offer them to begin with.

I think the real shame is for newcomers that just don’t know any better. You can go down such a rabbit hole chasing down all these different pads.

This.New LC Flat Pads - Change in Cutting / Finishing Order?

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said though.. this isn’t my profession, so perhaps the nuanced differences are noticeable to someone that does do it for a living.

That is what I love about the Lake Country Hydrotech, and Meguiar's foam pad lines.

I have four foam pads I set people up with. One for each basic type of product. Wax/sealant, Cleaner Wax, Polish, Compound - red, black, blue, green. Then there is a microfiber option. I might even reduce that, and eliminate the black pad in favor of just using one of the three remaining colors...

Regardless, it goes to Mike Phillips point that the polish/abrasive quality is the more critical component of polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    ThisNew LC Flat Pads - Change in Cutting / Finishing Order?
    Unfortunately, the orange and white are my least favorite for their respective tacks. They're uncomfortable for me to use, and seem less effective.

I use those foams for polishing gross vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s gets complicated if you’re a noob trying to buy pads for the 1st time. Can you imagine trying to choose, especially with everyone telling you u need a bunch of pads.
    That's what happened to me.

I did my research when I was about to buy new d/a pads, but it wasn't long before I had some from every color/manufacturer available.

I ended up where I started - the reticulated American filter foams for cutting and polishing, and red euro for sealing/waxing. I added the black foe cleaner wax because the red was just too soft, and the Blue I wanted for general/finishing polishing.

I remember selling off all those colors of CCS pads on the trading post back when is was still hot. Still today I have some pads that I'm going to need to get rid of.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are over thinking it, the green and white pads will get you the same results. I do agree on having a fewer pad system to all pad line ups, preferably like Meguiars, 3 pads and done. Cut,Polish,Finish.

What makes the green and white the same or similar? Have you had a chance to try them out yet? I've always wondered why some pad makers made some so very similar. I really can't tell the difference between black and blue on the flat pads and the Thin Pro black and red are really similar as well.

Based on the description, I would have thought the green was more like the old white, new white is more like the orange, and the new orange might be more like the old yellow. Fortunately, I just restocked on pads, so I should be good for a while.

Maybe Dave from Lake Country will see this and come up on the net for a little more background/insite.

Fortunatly, I just restocked on pads, so I should be good for a while.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

The LC and b&s green are (were) different.

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never seen them before either. And what the heck is a “heavy polishing pad”? Looks like they screwed it all up and have complicated things with 6 pads instead of 5. I won’t be buying anymore of those.
    The green and white are both polishing pads. They both serve a similar type of purpose, but are apples and oranges in comparison. Both are European prepolymer foams, but offer different advantages.

Typically people have always associated the white as a goto polishing pad. The green pad is NOT as dense as the white pad, but has a slightly larger cell and is more open celled. This makes the white pad better for certain jobs, white the green pad better for others.

Both the green and white are used similarly, but I really like the green pad with an all in one product like HD speed or Wolfgang All in One type products. The white is great for use with medium to finishing polishes like a Blackfire swirl remover or Sonax perfect finish.

Being that the white pad is more dense and firm, it will typically have a little bit more bite than a green foam but can certainly very with type of polish and type of machine.

We always offered a green foam, but Autogeek didn't offer it in the past. I hope that you are willing to reconsider, as we have improved the blue foam, and the new yellow foam to offer a solid line of European foams pads for rotary and DA use that is easy to use. We improved this line to make sure it represented the "standard" of foam pads that is consistent.

These pads now have a more updated and desirable shape or profile, along with print on the back identifying part number along with what type of pad it is (see picture in OP)

10. Thanks Desertnate, Hammer77, Diner, Paul A. thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    You're right.

I generally use B&S foam pads, but poor LC is probably starting to feel like they can't win. Everyone always complained about how LC and B&S didn't share the same universal pad colors, especially with the flat foam pads.

It seems that when LC revamped their lineup they decided to make it easier for everyone by going with the exact same color skeem as the B&S flat pads to help reduce confusion. Now when you buy a flat pad from B&S or LC you don't have to try to remember which brands flat green foam pad is actually more aggressive than the white foam or which one is less aggressive.
    I would say your statement above is far from the truth, but I can appreciate your thought process. We removed some of our colors to simplify the lines, and made the CCS and flat in identical orders of aggression.

I can agree that having the original line of pads in a similar color scheme is helpful to the detailer or user, but I think there needs to be a true comparison of the comparison.

We updated the CCS and flat pad lines to represent a consistent line of pads in both flat, CCS and in all sizes. Now any flat pad is available in any size, any ccs pad is available in any size, and they are all the same foams regardless.

If you choose to look at aggression chart for BNS, you can clearly see that their aggression chart is different from 5.5" to 6"

If you buy 5.5" pads, the yellow is most aggressive int he standard BNS line. If you buy them in the 6" size, the orange is more aggressive.

I can understand the concern and criticism, but lets please compare apples to apples at a minimum.

12. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t know why companies do this kinda stuff.. I feel like 4 is the sweet spot.

Heavy cutting (or microfiber) -> light cutting -> polishing -> finishing

I guess it gets more complicated as you delve into doing it professionally, but can it really be by that much?

Is it really necessary to have 2-3 different variants of each pad?

The website is still in the process of being updated.

The standard of yellow, orange, white/green, blue and black has been around for a long time. Over a decade, which is why these are more of the "original" type foam pad lines.

It just doesn't make sense to discontinue products that a LOT of people buy.

We did have 9 colors and re got rid of 3 to simplify the system and offer the most popular pads that people want. There is only 6 colors available in that line.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast