autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3" or 4" pads for Small Area Polishing?

Hey all, I'm just finalizing what size small pads and backing plate to purchase to handle small areas of the vehicles. Do you recommend 3" pads or 4" pads (and their corresponding backing plates)?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3" or 4" pads for Small Area Polishing?

I used to use primarily Buff and Shine 4" pads with a 3.5" backing plate. But in the past few years there have been so many great 3" & 3.25" pads released and the griots new 3" backing plate I hardly ever use 4" pads anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think my question is more around what have you experienced guys found to be more useful on a car as far as size for the smaller areas. Of course, the 3" can fit into more areas, but maybe the 4" is a perfect size and has no issues?

Post Thanks / Like

3" if you have a PC.
    4" if you have a GG6, G110v2, or MT300.

The size of the spindle shroud plays into my recommendation. Even though Meguiar's makes a 3" system for the MT300, the shroud on that machine is huge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    3" if you have a PC.
    4" if you have a GG6, G110v2, or MT300.

The size of the spindle shroud plays into my recommendation. Even though Meguiar's makes a 3" system for the MT300, the shroud on that machine is huge.
    Great feedback! I'm buying a GG6, so looks like that would be best? If I understand your statement, you're basically saying you prefer to go with the smaller size (3") to deal with small areas, unless you have the issue of the polisher having too large of a shroud to make it effective, right?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are buying the GG6, GG makes a 3 inch HD backing plate that has been known to perform well on the GG6, and is also recommended for use on the GG6. They have the corresponding 3in Boss pads to go with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I still like using 4" pads, especially on the larger area of bumpers and on rocker panels. I like the thicker B&S 4" pads on the bumper contours. I'll switch to the 3" PC/GG3 for tighter smaller spots or the Rupe's Mini/Zentool if the space can handle the 12mm throw.

All about using a pad size and orbital throw that fits the section you are working on. I don't like using big pads on small areas. I know it is possible, just don't like it. I also hate changing BP.

These are the DA RO machines with small BP that I keep on hand ready to be used.

GG3 w/ 3" BP - with LC Thin Pro, GG Boss pads (just ordered the 2" kit and extra GG MF, orange and yellow pads. This polisher will remain a 2" BP machine going forward) (8mm)

PC w/ GG 3" BP - with LC Thin Pro, GG Boss pads and Megs Powerpads (8mm)

Rupe's Mini 3" - with Rupes pads (minus blue), LC Thin Pro, GG Boss pads, and Megs Powerpads (12mm)

Zentool 3" - with Rupes pads (minus blue), LC Thin Pro, GG Boss pads, and Megs Powerpads (I'll try the 2" BP and GG Boss pads on this machine when the kit arrives. It uses the same 5/16 spindle as a PC/GG6) (12mm)

2nd PC w/ 4" BP - mainly just B&S pads, but a few Cyclo and LC CCS & flat pads (8mm)

For rotary, I use a Flex PE-8 with the Flex 1"/2"/3" BP. I also use a 4" LC BP with this machine. Love the 4" LC Foamed Purple Wool pads on fenders.

Hopefully I'll finally get a Rupe's Nano someday soon when I'm ready to part with $600.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Lake Country CCS Pads or the Hydrotechs. I use them for my PC7424XP
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

9. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
    Great feedback! I'm buying a GG6, so looks like that would be best? If I understand your statement, you're basically saying you prefer to go with the smaller size (3") to deal with small areas, unless you have the issue of the polisher having too large of a shroud to make it effective, right?
    Exactly. It can work, but I prefer to the visibility. I have the 4" set up for my Buff and Shine pads, and the 3" for my LC/Meguiar's pads. The only 8mm random orbital I use it the PC.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Visibility is key thats why I use a Rupes Mini for small areas, it excels there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast