autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country CCS foam pad failure

I'm working with the PC 7424XP and don't know if it's technique or a faulty machine. My Lake Country pad has blown out in the middle after doing only about 5 panels and that was the second time. The first pad blow out into several pieces. It seems as though these pads swell in the middle and then burst if that makes any sense. Do I need to change my technique, backing plate, or pads? My backing plate is not vented that I got with the PC kit from Chemical guys. Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country CCS foam pad failure

A pad is often used to 1-2 panels then switch to a new or if not much residue on the used pad and not saturate you can switch to that. It's to let it cool down so the foam and adisive has time to cool down. The heat is your enemy here and and saturated pad is next and always work with a as clean pad as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

A ventilated backing plate and a air compressor can make a little more longevity before switch pads. Take the hand to the pad and feel how heated it is. The heat travel most thrue the screw in the center that holds the backing plate in place.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with SWETM. It sounds like you’re over working the pads.

Post Thanks / Like

If the issue is in the middle it's probably due to too much heat which is caused by too much product or too high of a speed or working with the same pad for too long. Could also be a combination of those factors. Use the PC around 4.5 for speed and do less panels before switching pads. When you start you may not realized but to polish a car you need several pads otherwise the pad will be trashed before you finish the car. Having multiple pads and switching often guarantee a longer life for the pads.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

You need a compatible backing plate.

The CG plate is made by Buff and Shine and features "J-hooks", which are larger than the "micro hooks" found on the Lake Country plates. The J hooks will have a looser engagement with loop material. This looser engagement creates friction between the two pieces, which results in excessive heat, and ultimately foam failure, and degradation of the hook and loop system.

You're also using a bit more pressure than needed. Those CCS pads are known for their durability.

There might also be an excess of product building up in the center of the pad.

7. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the CCS Pads and wore only about 2 after using them quite a long time. So it is unusual to get destroyed like that. IMO I would review your technique. Are you applying TOO much pressure? Are you letting the product do the work?

Remember, you only need about 3 drops after you primed the pad. The reason why I mention technique is that I have been using my PC7424XP for years and have never destroyed a Lake country CCS Pad.

I have worn out a couple of pads with my Flex 3401, however, I had a feeling they were at the end of their lives by inspection. Additionally, the Flex 3401 is significantly more powerful of a DA too. My guess is that you are applying too much pressure and that snowballs to the pads generating too much heat and then loses its integrity. MY GUESS! Remember, you only need to apply 5 to 10 pounds MAX of pressure on the panels. I usually go with 5 to 7 pounds and let the product do its magic.

Please let us know what you did to fix this and let us know. Great useful information for the future detailers like us.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

9. Likes Eric7810 liked this post