autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Some Help Picking My First DA Pads

Hey all,

I'm planning to purchase the Griot's Garage 6" DA. I intend to also purchase a 5" backing plate and associated foam pads (and possibly a 4" plate and pads).

I've done a lot of lurking, reading, and watching and have learned a lot. I'm at the point of picking pads. I believe I've narrowed it down to the following choices:

1. Meguairs DA Foam Discs (12 qty for $110)
    2. Griot's Boss Foam (12 qty for $120)
    3. Lake Country Flat Foam pads (12 qty for $65)
    4. Lake Country ThinPro Foam pads (12 qty for $90)

My use for the DA and pads is for caring for our own vehicles, both of which are 2 years or less old and well maintained (well my wife's less so than mine). My plan is to buy 2-3 correcting level pads, 6-8 of the polishing level pads, and 2-3 finishing level pads. This is based on examining the paint and ascertaining that heavy correction isn't required.

I currently own Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. However, I've been reading and investigating quite a bit into the many other products available, such as some AIO's and detailer/pro level products. For now, I thought I could stick with the Megs Ultimate products.

Back to the pads, the prices of the 4 options I listed above are quite a bit different! Lake Country Flat pads (as recommended for beginners by Mike) are by far the cheapest, followed by the LC ThinPro's with the Megs and Griot's being by far the most. However, these costs are not going to put me on the street, but am just trying to be smart with my decision. I am the type of person that likes to educate myself on choices and make the smart long-term decision.

With that said, can anyone offer some feedback and recommendations on what would be the best choice for me as I step into the world of polishing and using a DA?

Thanks!
    Damon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Some Help Picking My First DA Pads

Having used the second, third and fourth choices on a GG6, I'd definitely recommend #4. ThinPro pads are a great match. #2 is also a good choice, but I'd still go with ThinPros. It doesn't hurt that they're cheaper, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything Lake Country should do you fine! In your case get the Lake Country Thinpros.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

4. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a PC and really prefer using the 4" plate and the smaller pads vs 5" plate and 6" pads. You get better correction with the smaller set up AND it's a little more manageble in the tighter areas around pillars, bumpers etc...I have both backing plates and rarely use the larger setup except for laying down a wax/sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Buff n shine I’m just a hobbiest, I have gotten great results with the 5.5 inch pads on either my pc and flex. Quality seems to be pretty good this will be my second season with my original purchased pads. Just be sure to buy some pad cleaner.

7. Likes damonb10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the helpful responses so far. It seems that the Lake Country pads are the more recommended. Does it matter that I'm a beginner if I go with the ThinPros versus the regular Flat pads?

It seems that Mike and maybe some others imply that beginners should stay away from the thin pads due to potential for making a mistake that can cause damage. Maybe that isn't a big deal. I'm pretty careful with things like this, but curious if that is a valid consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

The standard LC flats are super durable and almost fool proof.

10. Likes damonb10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the regular LC Flat Pads are good at a good price.

I do like the way they “feel” while polishing verses thinner stiffer pads and I would assume they are slightly safer.

Maybe do a mix. I’d go with white and orange LC flats and then BOSS Microfiber for cutting if needed if you have harder paint.

12. Likes damonb10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've liked all the LC pads I've tried other than the orange flat 5.5 inch cutting pads. They weren't dense enough IMO. I'm a big fan of Buff and Shine 5.5 inch flat orange cutting pad and 5.5 inch white heavy polishing pad. If you want to invest in longer lasting pads, the buff and shine uro-tec maroon and yellow pads will outlast nearly any other foam pad on the market IME.

14. Likes custmsprty, damonb10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went with the Griot's 6" DA in late fall, and also picked up the 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. I went with a combination of LC flats and LC Thin Pros...I have yet to order any 6.5" pads, not sure that I will. Many people on here were high on the Thin Pros. I also want to go with a smaller backing plate and pads but think I will go straight to the 3inch. There are posts in the forum that give high marks to using the 3 inch plate and pads on the GG6. There is a thread with great info on the 3" plate... do a search for Griot's Garage Boss 3" Orbital Backing Plate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast