autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Some Help Picking My First DA Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Anything Lake Country should do you fine!
    i disagree. these LC pads below have the velcro extended out to the edge instead of being recessed like all the other similar offerings. i do like LC pads though, just not these...

https://www.autogeek.net/lake-countr...edge-pads.html

2. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, I'm finalizing this choice. I'm still leaning toward the LC Flat Pads. However, I've been looking into the CCS pads as well. They are a bit more expensive, but wondering if they are better for a beginner like me over the LC Flat pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people like the CCS pads but I would never use them. I don't like the idea of the dimples collecting product and distributing it unevenly. I'd want completely even pad surfaces for the most consistent results.

5. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
    Hey all, I'm finalizing this choice. I'm still leaning toward the LC Flat Pads. However, I've been looking into the CCS pads as well. They are a bit more expensive, but wondering if they are better for a beginner like me over the LC Flat pads.
    The CCS spin way better, operate cooler, and are available in pink and Green foams. These foams will make operation even more comfortable, and deliver (in my experience) better performance respective to task.

Regardless of flat or CCS, I find the orange and white foams unpleasant to use compared to other foams on the market. I do use them, but not very often. They take much more pressure to get their results, and the flat pads can seem almost grabby on the orange and white foams. Like I said, the CCS will mitigate tgese negatives, but the Pink cutting, and Green polishing would be much more comfortable, and effective.

While I love LC pads, to augment my first recommendation, I'd switch to the Meguiar's offering.

Post Thanks / Like

For cutting I suggest you go with microfiber. I have not used the LC Thin Pro microfibers yet, but they they perform anywhere close to the Meguiar's Microfiber cutting pads, they will be amazing. I use mine on a Rupes 21 mm, but even so, on a GG 6" they should perform very well. For polishing thin pro foam polishing pads would be best. Again I have not used the thin pros, but I know they cut better than normal pads, and the normal pro polishing pads from LC are very good. For finishing, I don't think you will see any difference no matter what you choose. Just make sure it's foam not Microfiber and you should be fine since those pads are simply spreading products around, they have no influence on anything really.

Post Thanks / Like

That's odd as I love the lake country flat orange pads. Maybe it's just me? But I find that they're the perfect one step pads.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Mike Phillips

Hey all,

I'm planning to purchase the Griot's Garage 6" DA. I intend to also purchase a 5" backing plate and associated foam pads (and possibly a 4" plate and pads).

I've done a lot of lurking, reading, and watching and have learned a lot. I'm at the point of picking pads.

Thanks!
    Damon

Hi Damon,

Just curious.... did you see this article?

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

For anyone reading this into the future.... the above article I wrote shares the Griot's 6" DA Polisher AND all the backing plate and pad options.

It also has detailed information on microfiber versus foam pads options in case you're new to machine polishing. Probably one of the top 10 articles I wrote last year.

It also has links to everything so you don't have to do any searching on the massive AG store site.

FWIW

Hey all, I'm finalizing this choice. I'm still leaning toward the LC Flat Pads. However, I've been looking into the CCS pads as well.

They are a bit more expensive, but wondering if they are better for a beginner like me over the LC Flat pads.
    I'm a flat pad guy no matter what the brand, if for no other reason then for how much faster they are to clean on the fly with a nylon brush. Simply scrape the brush over the face of the pad and you're done. With any type of design, now you have to clean out the design.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yes, I did read that article and it was a big help in getting me to this point of knowing what DA to buy and how many pads I would need and of what type.

I was just trying to narrow down the pad options and I thought I read in the article or maybe a different one you wrote that a beginner may be best to stay away from the very thin pads or microfibre pads to start with. That is how I arrived at the list for consideration and have appreciated the helpful feedback offered from the members.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yes, I did read that article and it was a big help in getting me to this point of knowing what DA to buy and how many pads I would need and of what type.

I was just trying to narrow down the pad options and I thought I read in the article or maybe a different one you wrote that a beginner may be best to stay away from the very thin pads or microfibre pads to start with. That is how I arrived at the list for consideration and have appreciated the helpful feedback offered from the members.

I'm a huge fan of the simple LC flat pads, I'm also a fan of the Griot's BOSS foam pads. The primary difference between the Griot's BOSS thin foam pads is they have a hole in the center. The feature about this is all the heat is generated at the spindle and then works its way outward. By having a hole in the center of the pad the heat is transferred to the air, not the foam. I think it helps in pad longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Also as a beginner, you might want to avoid Lake Country Hydrotech pads, but eventually give them a shot. They are my favorite traditional d/a pads. They have incredible range of cut/finish per pad.

Buff and Shine Uro-Cell pads are similar, but they feature a center hole. This is essential for tools that tend to generate a lot of heat at the spindle or center bolt. I use the Hydrotech on a Porter Cable, which is a lot weaker, and generates a lot less heat than a Griots GG6, and even the Flex 3401, which the Hydrotech/Uro-Cell which also play nice with that type of foam.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast