autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Feeling pad cut

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Feeling pad cut

Does anyone judge the cut of a particular pad by the way it feels to the touch? So if 2 so called polishing pads from 2 different manufacturers, and one feels slightly softer than the the other, will it cut slightly less? I see guys on here with massive collection of pads and was wondering if you go through 3 pads on a step and need 1 more to finish it off do you grab what's closest in cut. Seems like that could be a problem if you don't have years of experience. Or am I just splitting hairs.

Mike Phillips

Re: Feeling pad cut

Generally speaking - a stiffer pad that “feels” coarse will be more aggressive than a pliable pad that feels soft.

3. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joey d View Post
    Does anyone judge the cut of a particular pad by the way it feels to the touch? So if 2 so called polishing pads from 2 different manufacturers, and one feels slightly softer than the the other, will it cut slightly less?
    not sure which two you're comparing but below I compare two orange pads. in the end, don't over-think it. There are plenty of pad choices but honestly, the product matters more than the pad. Pad is important but it's secondary. Everyone has their methods, but mine typically involve pretty KISS products:

• Purple Wool - definitely my most aggressive but easiest to use high-cut pad. I pair it with Megs 101, Megs U.C. and even some polishes if I don't need massive cut but want to blast though something quickly. They finish off outstandingly well and only require a mild quick polish after to finish things off.
    • Orange Hybrid Force - my go-to cutting pad for use with compounds. Best for cars with medium swirls
    • Orange Hexlogic Pads - probably my next go-to for medium cuts. Softer than Hybrid Force but they cut about the same. The Hexlogic ones seem to work better on softer paints that I've had Hybrid Force leave micro marring on. Paired with something like a good AIO they can make for a great one step on cars that have a bit more swirls.
    • Green Hexlogic - another of my favorites for AIO's. Soft but firm and work great. Tend to be my go-to for AIO products for light swirls.
    • White Hybrid Force - go-to for light polishes and new car prep packages where the vehicles have only minor marring and swirls. If at first it doesn't work, I step up to a different polish

Again, the above is just me. Others will have different uses and pads. Multiple ways to skin cats as they say.

I see guys on here with massive collection of pads and was wondering if you go through 3 pads on a step and need 1 more to finish it off do you grab what's closest in cut. Seems like that could be a problem if you don't have years of experience. Or am I just splitting hairs.
    Many of us do this and make money and love trying new things thus why my cabinet is so extensive. Also, you will need 5-6 cutting pads when compounding as you'll switch pads every panel or two. You'll use multiple pads for even light polishing. My brand new car I just detailed, I used 4 white pads to keep things clean and running at full perfection. Sometimes I'll go as high as 5 pads for polishing. All depends on how things are responding and how the pad looks as I work.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

That tends to be my normal criteria with pads.

I find the typical orange cutting pads to be less aggressive than the green Buff and Shine / Hex Logic. Their foam though stiffer is also smoother. Theose particular fiams tend to work well with heavier pressure, where I have more success with the green using less pressure.

Then there is the Lake Country Cyan Hydrotech which is both stiff and sort of aggressive.

I have a hard time deciding which to use of the green or Cyan for general compounding, but it usually comes down to abrasive orientation.

Diminishing abrasives get used with the Hydrotech. Thes pads resist soaking, keep the liquid and abrasives on the paint surface, and ensure efficient, and proper cycling of the diminishing abrasives.these pads run smooth and require less pressure to perform their task.

SMAT abrasives get used with the American foam green and blue Buff and Shine foams. Because these abrasives don't break down I don't have to be concerned with cycle time. These pads also actively aid the polishes in working the paint without the need for excessive downward pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Purple Wool - definitely my most aggressive but easiest to use high-cut pad. I pair it with Megs 101, Megs U.C. and even some polishes if I don't need massive cut but want to blast though something quickly. They finish off outstandingly well and only require a mild quick polish after to finish things off.
    Is that the lake country purple foamed wool pad?

If I’m not mistaken you recently dove into the Rupes Mille and got all the pads/liquids, right? If not ignore this post entirely lol.

If I’m not going crazy: how do you find the purple wool pads to compare to the new Rupes pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk