autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on Meguiars Microfiber POLISHING pads?

I'm curious on your guys' opinions on using Megs Microfiber Finishing pads. I always use the Meguiars Microfiber Cutting pads and love them. Usually follow up with a foam pad to polish. Mainly wondering when you would normal use them, with what products, and overall opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on Meguiars Microfiber POLISHING pads?

I usually use them with D301 Finishing Wax. I've also used them for one stage corrections with M205.

I just used them on a Black GMC Terrain, while using the D300/DMC5, and D301/DMF5 combination. I actually had some d/a haze with this combo. While it could be that I wasn't aggressive enough with the finishing process, I suspect that it was the microfiber being the culprit, so I switched to M66 on black foam finishing pads, which took care of the hazing issue from the cutting step.

I sort of tend to stray away from microfiber for finishing these days, because of the potential hazing. Usually the Yellow Rupes Microfiber finishing pads works great, but it actual l hazed this vehicle too..

3. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I usually use them with D301 Finishing Wax. I've also used them for one stage corrections with M205.

I just used them on a Black GMC Terrain, while using the D300/DMC5, and D301/DMF5 combination. I actually had some d/a haze with this combo. While it could be that I wasn't aggressive enough with the finishing process, I suspect that it was the microfiber being the culprit, so I switched to M66 on black foam finishing pads, which took care of the hazing issue from the cutting step.

I sort of tend to stray away from microfiber for finishing these days, because of the potential hazing. Usually the Yellow Rupes Microfiber finishing pads works great, but it actual l hazed this vehicle too..
    What tool did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

the difference in the cutting and finishing is just the foam make up right? the MF is still the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    What tool did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With the Meguiar's set up I used a 1st gen Porter Cable 7424, and with the Yellow Rupes pad, a Duetto with Keramik.

The Quarz/Green pad worked great in that paint too.Just didn't cut as hard as the megs set up.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to say, i remember someone saying the MF material itself is different.

I've used the Finishing one as part of their MF system. I can't really say if it was better than using foam or whatnot. Sure, the finish was nice when I was done, but the D300 on MF Cutting didn't leave anything behind anyway (not on this particular paint). Overall, though, the follow up step with the Finishing part did improve the appearance.

edit:: Just checked one of Autogeek's videos with Mike P and Jason R. Yes, the foam is different, as well as the pile length and density of the MF material.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    the difference in the cutting and finishing is just the foam make up right? the MF is still the same?
    The pile is different too.

With Meguiar's pads, the cutting fibers are longer and more "stringy", where the finishing pads are shorter.

On the original Rupes microfiber, the blue are short, dense, looped fibers, and the Yellow are short, soft, open strand fibers.

The new Rupes blue is long and stringy fibers, and the finishing is long, dense, almost plush fibers.

9. Thanks austinthecoolkid thanked for this post