autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boss 6.5" orange pad issue

Quote Originally Posted by TiCaLLioNStaLLyN View Post
    Hey guys.

Mentioned this on another guys mf pad thread issue but had no response. Dont want to jack his thread.

So I finally got around to using my g21 for the first time and also my first time polishing a vehicle. So far have just done some compounding with menzerna 400 and boss 6.5 orange correction pad.

I'm doing this at a very casual pace as I don't have much time after work but winter is coming fast north of the border haha. So I'm just doing a panel here and there etc. It's an old 91 pathfinder I'm using for Learning.

So I've used this pad, pictured, for two sessions of 400 at speed 4-5, primed my full pad face with product and a squirt of luber. I've been doing 2 sections/4 passes, with light pressure, then using a conditioner brush....2 more sections and 4 passes each section again, then change...or bed in my case.

Washed pad right after use with griots micro cleaner in warm water and wrung by hand. Left to dry overnight. Did same again following night in terms of process.

After cleaning again I really noticed the separation of the pad to the hook and loop backside.

I stayed away from badges but around some window trim, i may have rubbed on the tape covering, slightly.

Is there something wrong in my process? What can I do

Now I ha e only used the one pad and tonight have a few hours and will be going through a few pads trying to get it done. I am worried about ruining my brand new pads now. I dont know what else to change other than speed, but if I got to run at 4 or less how am i going to achieve correction etc.

I did notice the boss felt pretty damn warm. Does heat transfer from machine into pads etc

Pics are all of different sections in pad, not same spot. The bow look in pad happened last night when drying because of the thin railing it was drying over. Dumb on my part.

Thanks for input

?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boss 6.5" orange pad issue

Meant to edit above

Post Thanks / Like

When I experienced pad separation, this was do to the pad heating and not giving the pad a good cleaning and not changing the pad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you overheated it and cooked it. Broke down the foam. It happens, regardless of the pad brand name. I did the same thing to others in the past. Rotate your pads more often eqauls pad longevity.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Looks like you overheated it and cooked it. Broke down the foam. It happens, regardless of the pad brand name. I did the same thing t others in the past. Rotate your pads more often eqauls pad longevity.
    Yes I will try that. I thought I read 3-4 sections at 6 passes is a ideal expectancy. So because of having a smaller amount of pads I thought I would follow to try and get more vehicle coverage per pad. That was why I did 4 passes to conserve a bit at compounding stage.

I broke my hood alone down into 8 sections.

This vehicle is pretty bad so I think I may be getting more dust than the avg guy, see pics below. No reflection just a haze for lights haha.

I own boss pads 6.5 2x mf 2x white 4x orange 4x yellow and 2x black. Trying to build up.more but have been strapped for coin as of late.

Do you mean change them off to allow them to.cool then re use or once off, they are to be washed? So do a section or two change pads do a section or two and go back to first pad for a section or two then wash. Or did j just misunderstand you? .

Post Thanks / Like

I cooked a brand new Rupes green pad a while back in a couple passes on my mini doing a 370Z and couldn't believe it. Tell tale signs, look for some kind of bubbling, what I mean is expansion in the center area and it's time to chill out.

The smaller the pad the worse, I launched quite a few 3" LC pads across the garage years ago when I first converted my PC (sold it to get my mini) to a 3" bp LOL. The velcro was still on the b plate but the foam was across the room. More pads equals pad longevity, swapem often.

Nice work!!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I cooked a brand new Rupes green pad a while back in a couple passes on my mini doing a 370Z and couldn't believe it. Tell tale signs, look for some kind of bubbling, what I mean is expansion in the center area and it's time to chill out.

The smaller the pad the worse, I launched quite a few 3" LC pads across the garage years ago when I first converted my PC (sold it to get my mini) to a 3" bp LOL. The velcro was still on the b plate but the foam was across the room. More pads equals pad longevity, swapem often.

Nice work!!!!
    Thanks!

Now that you say about expansion. I did notice when I stopped that there was almost like a squiggly circle around the inner portion of pad pressed in with other spots kind of lifted. I thought too much product may have saturated into the pad.

Regardless I was changing it out at that time but as soon as I see the slightest I will change the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Rotate your pads looks like ur polisher got to hot and melted the adhesive on the back of the pad, this will happen with any pad if not properly rotated while detailing the exterior. I have actually seen guys have pads fly across the room because they don't lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asap2stacks View Post
    Rotate your pads looks like ur polisher got to hot and melted the adhesive on the back of the pad, this will happen with any pad if not properly rotated while detailing the exterior. I have actually seen guys have pads fly across the room because they don't lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    So do you mean rotate them off to allow them to cool then re use or once rotated off, they are to be washed? So do a section or two rotate pads do a section or two and go back to first pad for a section or two then wash them?

Post Thanks / Like

If you take a pad off, and put it aside, it needs to be washed. While it will cool off, the product (compound, polish, or LSP) will dry out. You don't want to reuse a pad with dried out product, it is a very, very bad idea.

Do a section pass, clean pad (towel, brush, compressed air as appropriate). Do another section pass, and change the pad for a clean one. The first pad goes (preferably with water, or water and pad cleaner) into a separate container/bucket for washing later. Opinions vary, some will say do a panel per pad (which leaves open the question of how many section passes are required per panel), some will say a 2-4 pads for a car. The important thing is that the pads are clean enough to allow the product to work properly, and not caked with product so that you get dusting or micro-marring issues. To a certain extent, it is also dependent on environment (heat/humidity), product (different products will generate more or less clear coat residue, and dry at different rates), and your own technique (pressure on pad, arm speed, how fast you choose to rotate pad, pad choice in term of aggressiveness)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast