autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country Force Hybrid or Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish pads for FLEX 3401?

Can anyone tell me the real difference between these pads for the Flex 3401?

Both are sold by PBMG at AG and Autopia.

I guess I am kind of lost between all of these different pad offerings.

Is there a preference between the 2 of them for use with the 3401?

Which backplate do I need to be able to run these on the FLEX 3401?

My 3401 came with the standard 5.5" backingplate and also a 4" plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Force Hybrid or Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish pads for FLEX 3401?

The New force pads are the updated version of the Hybrid pads.The Hybrid Blue foam was discontinued in manufacturing, so when changing the Hybrid pads to Force pads, they changed...
    · The shape
    · Added a center hole
    · Discontinued Blue.
    · Added Grey for Hot climates (very firm foam and best when used above 80 degrees F and or humid)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Force Hybrid or Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish pads for FLEX 3401?

You will need the 4 1/2 backing plate from Flex.

FLEX XC3401 Mini 4.5 inch Backing Plate, FLEX.

I shaved/filed my stock 5.5 down to 5. Super easy with the proper bolt/nut/washer for an arbor on cordless drill and a decent file.
    First you would have to cut the flared foam off,even with the plastic. Run your set-up and keep measuring until you are happy.

As far as the pads go I used the Hybrids then bought the Force. The Force pads seem a little beefier and are .5" bigger.
    My technical explanation is I like the Force pads more.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks the "kit" I just bought comes with both the 5.5". And the 4" backing plate and orange and white pads. I assume it's the 4.5" as flex doesn't have a 4"

So do I Still need to buy the lake country changeable backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txchevyz71 View Post
    Thanks the "kit" I just bought comes with both the 5.5". And the 4" backing plate and orange and white pads

So do I Still need to buy the lake country changeable backing plate?
    1) use the Hybrids which the 4" plate accommodates. The problem is the Hybrids I believe are being phased out.

2) Use the Force pads and buy the backing plate from the link I posted. Yet another 40 dollars

3) Use the Force pads and grind the 5.5 down to 5. The one I like which is free.

In my eyes these are your only options.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the Force pads...great with the 3401. Gray for higher temps? Interesting; used 'em in about 55F degree weather with M101 on some really bad/oxidized paint. 4 passes and that stuff was ready for M205. Kinda hard on the pads, wore 'em out after 2 vehicles but it got the job done quick. 6.5 on good, roof, trunk and 5.5 on vertical surfaces.

Gets stuff done quick and usually someone somewhere is always has those pads on some kinda special; dunno why but it seems so.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The Hybrid Power pads were 5" in diameter, and required the use of the Lake Country backing plate system, which attached to the 3401, and came with a 4" backing plate (used with the 5" Hybrid Power pads), and a 6" plate. There were some issues with the 6" plate, and eventually the 6" plate was discontinued, so the Lake Country backing plate system was 4" only. The 5" Hybrid pads were designed to use this backing plate, and the Flex 4.35" (the true dimension is 4.33", or 110mm, even more accurately). plate's velcro surface actually was almost exactly the size of the Hybrid Powers' velcro, leaving no margin for misalignment. Note that the 5" size is not a normal/standard pad size.

More recently, Lake Country started producing the Hybrid Force pads, which are a more standard 5.5", and fit the Flex 4.33"/110mm Flex backing plate just fine. I have found out that the Hybrid Power pads are now out of production, and only the Hybrid Force pads are being produced. Same goes for the Lake Country Backing plate system and the 4" backing plate.

If you are buying 3401 pads and don't have an investment, get the Flex 4.33"/110mm backing plate, and the Hybrid Force pads. If you already have the Lake Country 4" backing plate, buy up as many of the Hybrid Power pads in whatever colours you use as soon as you can. The only Hybrid Power pads that are out there are existing inventory, no new Hybrid Power pads will be coming from Lake Country, and use them until they are worn out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the information. My 3401 will arrive next week.

I still have a ton of LC flat pads

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to use them, but they may wear out quickly, as the 3401 is pretty tough on pads, so the flat pads, being designed for free rotation DAs, may wear out quicker. Where a DA would stop spinning the flat pad if you applied too much pressure, the Flex will continue to spin, generating more heat, and shortening the life of the pads. As well, when the edge of the pad hits an emblem or something solid, A DA will probably stop, but the Flex will keep going, possibly tearing up the pad.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by txchevyz71 View Post

Thanks for all the information. My 3401 will arrive next week.

I still have a ton of LC flat pads

Congratulations on the new FLEX 3401 - you're going to find out it's a BEAST when it comes to doing correction work FAST without causing holograms like the other fast tool the rotary buffer.

I was out in the garage for the last half of yesterday and getting ready to go out there right now to finish the purple car and for the correction work I'm using the FLEX 3401 as it is the fastest way to correct paint without inducing holograms, burning through the paint on edges and raised body lines and without tiring me out. (a rotary buffer requires a lot more muscle work than orbitals)

And man... you did het a lot of great help and info from our forum members in this thread, I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post

You should be able to use them, but they may wear out quickly, as the 3401 is pretty tough on pads,

Where a DA would stop spinning the flat pad if you applied too much pressure, the Flex will continue to spin, generating more heat, and shortening the life of the pads. As well, when the edge of the pad hits an emblem or something solid, A DA will probably stop, but the Flex will keep going, possibly tearing up the pad.

Correct.

The power that comes with the FLEX 3401 does have a downside and that is being able to work a panel hard does wear out pads faster.

It's a trade-off that in my opinion, if you want to work fast is worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast