autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Orange 6.5" versus Black 6.5"

Thanks for all the replies,

I guess I was sorta overwhelmed with all the new product knowledge and trying to get by on as little as possible to start (as in number off pads) I guess my biggest question is on a newish car in decent to great condition, can I just get by with the orange pads (assuming that speed of the da and the product used with it determines the cut) or should I be aiming at multiple types, like someone pointed out, the black griots pad was almost useless.

e.g. can I use the orange pad (which I can buy as many as I want today versus ordering online and paying shipping) for both something like compound for things that polish wont take out, and also as the last step for just polish before applying wax with the red pad, or will over time these orange pads prove to be too abrasive and wear out the paint abnormally fast.

The product description for the Black Griots Pad (which I assume would line up with the white/green LC pad) says for dark cars and delicate paint, seems less versatile and more of a stop gap between the orange and red pads for specific use scenarios, not a normal item which people will buy bunches of as a normal step to doing a 3 step process. I'm trying to get enough pads today when I pick up the da to actually do the one step but feel as If i buy 3 or 4 orange pads just to use it one time while I order more online I have unnecessarily wasted money if said orange pads are only useful for compounding (which I will not need much of unless I abuse the paint surface) etc and not finish polishing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Velozzity View Post

Thanks for all the replies,
    We have great forum members and a friendly forum environment...

I guess I was sorta overwhelmed with all the new product knowledge and trying to get by on as little as possible to start (as in number off pads)

I guess my biggest question is on a newish car in decent to great condition, can I just get by with the orange pads (assuming that speed of the da and the product used with it determines the cut) or should I be aiming at multiple types, like someone pointed out, the black griots pad was almost useless.
    Great questions here's the answer...

Probably.

You won't know what you can do until you do a Test Spot.

In the video I shared, it goes over how to do a test spot and then inspect your results, when you have a few minutes, watch the video, it's very good with easy to understand information.

My guess is, with only light or shallow scratching, you can probably buff out the entire car with one or a few foam polishing pads and probably the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Just clean your pad often after buffing out sections of paint.

I explain how to buff out a car in the video I shared and the below is also shared in the video...

The Definition of a Section Pass by Mike Phillips

The definition of a pass
    There are two definitions of the word pass as it relates to machine polishing with any type of machine.

Single Pass
    A single pass is just that. It's when you move the polisher from one side of the section you're buffing to the other side of the section you're buffing. That's a single pass.

Section Pass
    A section pass is when you move the polisher back and forth, or front to back with enough single overlapping passes to cover the entire section one time. That's a section pass.

How many section passes to make to one area of paint
    In most cases if you're removing any substantial below surface defects you're going to make 6-8 section passes to the section you’re working before you either feel comfortable you've removed the defects or you're at the end of the buffing cycle for the product you're using.

Years ago, when trying to figure out how to teach a person how to buff out a car using a keyboard I came up with the term Section Pass or Section Passes.

A section pass or passes is the way you move a polisher to buff out a section of paint. You can't buff out entire panels at a time as paint is too hard and many panels are too large to actually buff out an entire panel at one time. So you take larger panels and divide them up into smaller section like you see in this picture.

You divide large panels into smaller sections and then buff one section at a time. For correction work you'll probably need to do 6-8 section passes for each section of paint you buff.

When you move onto a new section, overlap a little into the previous section for what I call UMR

UMR = Uniform Material Removal

Here, just wrote a brand new article to explain this concept...

UMR = Uniform Material Removal - Removing the same amount of paint when doing correction work for a uniform appearance

e.g. can I use the orange pad (which I can buy as many as I want today versus ordering online and paying shipping) for both something like compound for things that polish wont take out, and also as the last step for just polish before applying wax with the red pad, or will over time these orange pads prove to be too abrasive and wear out the paint abnormally fast.
    The pads will become LESS abrasive with use, not more abrasive.

Wet pads don't cut well.

Ask the guys behind the counter about the relationship between correcting paint with clean dry pads and wet soggy pads and see what they say?

Clearcoats are hard for the most part. There are some exceptions but generally speaking, clearcoat paints are harder than traditional single stage paints and in the history of the "car" we've only had 2 basic paint system. You'll find out as you buff out more cars.

The product description for the Black Griots Pad (which I assume would line up with the white/green LC pad) says for dark cars and delicate paint, seems less versatile and more of a stop gap between the orange and red pads for specific use scenarios, not a normal item which people will buy bunches of as a normal step to doing a 3 step process.
    Compounding or removing the defects is the step that takes the longest.

For the average size passenger car, to ONLY compound it with a simple orbital polisher, (that's the Griot's, the Porter Cable, the Meguiar's MT300, etc.), will take you about 6 hours if your good and if your fast and if you don't take breaks.

The reason why is because you CANNOT move the polisher fast over the surface simply to get the job done faster. You must move the polisher slowly and again, divide larger panels into smaller sections. I speak from experience, the fastest a really good detailer could buff out a 2-door Honda Accord that needs compounding would maybe be 4 hours, maybe... for most you're looking at 6 hours and that's just the compounding step.

Again, watch the video. It' is the most detailed video I've ever made and the most detailed video I've ever watched compared to what others have made and most of the techniques it I am the original source for, others learned it from me.

I'm trying to get enough pads today when I pick up the da to actually do the one step but feel as If i buy 3 or 4 orange pads just to use it one time while I order more online I have unnecessarily wasted money if said orange pads are only useful for compounding (which I will not need much of unless I abuse the paint surface) etc and not finish polishing

If it were me and I was buffing out a 2015 Honda Civic with light swirls, for the first machine step I would want to have 6 pads minimum.

You can buff out sections so much faster with a clean dry pad than trying to limp along with a wet soggy pad.

Also - your pads will last longer overall or over time. When people try to buff out cars using one or two pads, it punishes the pads and they give up. Using a pad for a panel and then taking it off and switching to a new pad makes your pads last longer over time.

Been there... detailed that...

Mike Phillips

For that last few years, in order to share the point of more pads is better, I safe all the pads I use for the cars I detail and take a pictures.

A pictures shares a thousand words...

Here's just one example....

How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

Hope all the info I've shared helps....

Post Thanks / Like

I was just going to add that if he's buying Griot's pads. It's actually cheaper to buy them here at Autogeek, even if you pay shipping. if you buy 3 they are 39.99 (even cheaper if there is a sale) Shipping is... well shipping. you'd have to pay sales tax elsewhere....

and yes I am cheap. I pretty much do cost analysis on everything.....

I just got a big box of pads delivered yesterday. Thanks Autogeek!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txchevyz71 View Post
    I was just going to add that if he's buying Griot's pads. It's actually cheaper to buy them here at Autogeek, even if you pay shipping. if you buy 3 they are 39.99 (even cheaper if there is a sale) Shipping is... well shipping. you'd have to pay sales tax elsewhere....

The reason I bought the Da from a competitor was said competitor was having a $50 off coupon for purchases over $150, So I paid $117 out the door for the kit. I have no urge to do multiple cars with this kit, and only want to buy what is necessary to do my own car and maybe in the future an older car that will be handed down to my son, but for the time being it starts with the 2015 civic.

Griots Orange 6.5" versus Black 6.5"-img_20170509_181406888_hdr-jpg

this is the car as it stands now more or less. I live in a rural environment so I know any buffing etc is going to be a royal pain not getting contaminants on the surface. I probably will just the griots one step the first time then follow up with some type of protectant wax etc in a few months. Either way I wanted something capable of more correcting if I ever needed it.

The main reason I even came to the forums was because my craftsman wax spreader fell apart and decided why not spent an additional 50 bucks or so to get alot more versatile machine. Little did I know or pick up that buffers almost use the Gillette model, meaning the cost of the buffer itself can at times be the same or less than the needed pads to operate it, much how the razor blades cost more than the actual stick that holds them. Anyway I guess I can get by with those 3 orange pads even If i Have to do half the car each day until I decide whether to go all out on pads (like buying a 6 pack of Lake country pads) or just make due with what I have and spend more time.

I more or less know about the whole section pass concept, when I was in College like forever ago I worked for a year or so at a local wash shop (wont call it detail, we only applied wax and cleaner wax with a orbital buffer) we basically did the same thing, just did the whole car at one time. I just need to get it out of my head that I can do the whole car with few pads....

Mike Phillips

I live in a rural environment so I know any buffing etc is going to be a royal pain not getting contaminants on the surface.

I probably will just the griots one step the first time then follow up with some type of protectant wax etc in a few months.

The one-step approach is a good way to go for daily drivers.

Heck just keeping the paint shiny and waxed is more than most people do...

Either way I wanted something capable of more correcting if I ever needed it.
    The Griot's Garage 6" DA is a very capable machine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

sooo, I ended up canceling one of my orders I had with the competitor (was for extra orange griots pads, and a red pad) and just purchased a 12 pack LC ccs 6.5 " pad set. I know that 5.5" seems to be where its at, but for starting out as a hobbyist not a business I think this will suit me fine. I got 5 orange pads, 5 white ones, and 2 black. I consider the pad that came with the GG 6 to be similar to the orange LC ones from feedback so that basically gives me 6 defect removal pads, 5 polish pads, and 2 finish pads. I think after the initial use I will probably just use the polish pads (White) to touch up the paint before sealing it or use them to put on a one step if I decide to go that route.

If i find down the road I am doing more vehicles such as neighbors or friends I will buy more orange pads, but I think for now this setup will suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txchevyz71 View Post

Lol!

I got my shipment confirmation today for pads!

Love sale time...

Post Thanks / Like

sooo, I ended up canceling one of my orders I had with the competitor (was for extra orange griots pads, and a red pad) and just purchased a 12 pack LC ccs 6.5 " pad set. I know that 5.5" seems to be where its at, but for starting out as a hobbyist not a business I think this will suit me fine. I got 5 orange pads, 5 white ones, and 2 black. I consider the pad that came with the GG 6 to be similar to the orange LC ones from feedback so that basically gives me 6 defect removal pads, 5 polish pads, and 2 finish pads. I think after the initial use I will probably just use the polish pads (White) to touch up the paint before sealing it or use them to put on a one step if I decide to go that route.

If i find down the road I am doing more vehicles such as neighbors or friends I will buy more orange pads, but I think for now this setup will suffice.
    I think you should be fine with that. The GG6 isn't going to have a problem spinning those pads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12