autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

which pads to order?

Im looking to order some pads right now that there is a good sale going on, just have a few questions.
    I will be using these on my gelcoat rv. Also on some of my vehicles ( chevy , kia , toyota)
    i will also be ordering the Flex 3401 and HD Speed
    1. Which pad colors do i ? Which colors sound i double up on?
    2. Whats the difference from the 6.5 and 5.5 ccs inch lake country pads? i know the 5.5 are thinner but will they make a difference?
    3. Which pad cleaner is best
    4. Am i missing anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: which pads to order?

Do not buy the CCS pads for the 3401 get the hybrids from lake country. Get the kit with a extra 4" backing plate for the 5" hybrid pads so you can use 5" and 6.5" hybrids. If your rides are in good shape the blue and white pads will be all you need for swirls and finish polishing. A 3401 will speed through a RV really nice with the 6.5" pads.This is the plate for 5" pads FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System and these are the pads Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System I hope this helps you make your choice.Also the HD cord is so nice and free today for the Elf promotion.

Post Thanks / Like

The 5.5" CCS isn't going to give you a safety margin for the back plate. The 6.5" will work just fine. The forced rotation 3401 doesn't have an issue moving 6.5" pads.

I don't know how strong HD Speed is, but I typically use cleaner waxes with white or black pads. You might want to consider the pink, orange, or yellow to help give it more cut, because the gel coat is tougher than typical clear coats.

I personally find the pink pads cut more than either the orange or yellow, and handle easier on the 3401. The CCS os a great pad line over all.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting on more Buff & Shine Microfibers, cut and finishing. They have a thick foam body with a nice layer of Micro.
    Those babies will cut, and give a little compression room for contours, without bottoming out like the thinner versions.
    For pad cleaning, I use almost all of the liquid ones (diluted with distilled) & the powder soak (WG now BF), IMO they are about the same.
    I use the powder with a brush in a soak bucket, when the pads done, I spray it with pad cleaner, brush it some then throw it in.
    Clean them later when I have time, so the soak does it's work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailTrail View Post
    I'm waiting on more Buff & Shine Microfibers, cut and finishing. They have a thick foam body with a nice layer of Micro.
    Those babies will cut, and give a little compression room for contours, without bottoming out like the thinner versions.
    Yep, those are really nice pads too!

Post Thanks / Like

For the FLEX 3401 the HYBRID pad system with 5" pads are the best pads for the machine. They were specifically made for the 3401.

1. Get the LC backing plate system with the 4" plate that was mentioned above.
    2. Get a combination of orange cutting and white finishing HYBRID pads for those two processes.
    3. You can buy both the 5" and 6.5" with the above backing plates but the 5" seem to work the absolute best for the machine.
    4. Meguires 5.5in Cutting pads will work wonders with the 4" plate also, makes for a heavier cut. Which might be needed on the Gel Coat or even the cars

Any other variances from the above may also work for you on the machine, but since you need likely 5-6 pads each type those mentioned in my post and another will definitely work just perfect for you. Like I said, Lake Country developed the Hybrid system specifically for the Flex 3401. I spent 100's on different size pads and pads before actually listening to others and working with this system. I don't even try anything else anymore, due to how well it finishes down for me no matter what type of paint I am dealing with.

Hope this helps and saves you some money

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your RV still like new or do you have some oxidation? If the latter you may want to look at the LC 6.5 purple foamed wool pads. Mike Phillips has several threads recommending those for the 3401 along with the M31 AIOs. I have a houseboat (floating RV) and like that combo. I do want to get the hybrid pad set up to try on our cars though.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with those so far saying the LC Hybrids. I absolutely love the Lake Country Hybrid pads with my 3401 and use both 5" and 6.5". I would strongly suggest a good inventory of 6.5" for the RV. I go from purple foamed wool all the way down to the black/red pads for just about every condition of work needed. I gradually built up an inventory of 6 packs in almost every color in both size diameters however understand that may be costly right out of the gate. I would suggest 2 6-packs with 4 orange, 4 white and 4 black.

And i have to thank Mike Ploesser (sp? sorry) at DedicatedPerfection for those pad recommendations. He was lazer spot on with those on the Flex!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    Do not buy the CCS pads for the 3401 get the hybrids from lake country. Get the kit with a extra 4" backing plate for the 5" hybrid pads so you can use 5" and 6.5" hybrids. If your rides are in good shape the blue and white pads will be all you need for swirls and finish polishing. A 3401 will speed through a RV really nice with the 6.5" pads.This is the plate for 5" pads FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System and these are the pads Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System I hope this helps you make your choice.Also the HD cord is so nice and free today for the Elf promotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I have to agree with those so far saying the LC Hybrids. I absolutely love the Lake Country Hybrid pads with my 3401 and use both 5" and 6.5". I would strongly suggest a good inventory of 6.5" for the RV. I go from purple foamed wool all the way down to the black/red pads for just about every condition of work needed. I gradually built up an inventory of 6 packs in almost every color in both size diameters however understand that may be costly right out of the gate. I would suggest 2 6-packs with 4 orange, 4 white and 4 black.

And i have to thank Mike Ploesser (sp? sorry) at DedicatedPerfection for those pad recommendations. He was lazer spot on with those on the Flex!
    thanks guys i will be ordering these hybrid pads once i get my gift certificate figured out! Now that i have been doing research on these pads i see great results!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Houseboater View Post
    Is your RV still like new or do you have some oxidation? If the latter you may want to look at the LC 6.5 purple foamed wool pads. Mike Phillips has several threads recommending those for the 3401 along with the M31 AIOs. I have a houseboat (floating RV) and like that combo. I do want to get the hybrid pad set up to try on our cars though.
    well i ordered the oxidation removal kit thats for sale on here and it comes with a wool pad and the M31 AIO. Maybe i should order another wool pad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast