autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber cutting pads

Everyone's getting spoiled, not being happy that a heavy compound doesn't finish off LSP ready. 3# steps was the norm, now people cry when they have to do 2 steps.

2. Likes RDZL1, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Get in, get the job done. Get out.

Yup! Couldn't agree with you more in saying that Mike.

I have had good results with microfibre pads on a DA, I like CarPro pads the most but in saying that, I am more of a rotary/Flex 3401 user most of the time. Sometimes break out the Rupes 21 but haven't tried microfibre pads on that so cannot comment. Foam for me though.

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried both the meguires microfiber and the rupes foam and I like them both pretty equally. The microfiber doesn't really sling or dust as much but does leave a DA haze. The rupes dusts a lot more but doesn't leave behind a haze (that's with the blue pad and zephir). I haven't yet tried the green rupes pads but I have them and just waiting for use. I prefer using all of the rupes together as a system.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post

Everyone's getting spoiled, not being happy that a heavy compound doesn't finish off LSP ready.

3# steps was the norm, now people cry when they have to do 2 steps.

Sounds about right....

(me included)

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, abrasive,pad,machine technology has really benefited the detailer the past couple of years. What needed 3 steps can be done in one cutting step on most paints these days. With great brands and products available these days its much easier to get a clear finish. We have compounds that finish better today than what finishing polishes of old use to. I for one am glad and thankful for the advances in Detailing technology.

7. Likes dlc95, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manateemark View Post
    I have tried both the meguires microfiber and the rupes foam and I like them both pretty equally. The microfiber doesn't really sling or dust as much but does leave a DA haze. The rupes dusts a lot more but doesn't leave behind a haze (that's with the blue pad and zephir). I haven't yet tried the green rupes pads but I have them and just waiting for use. I prefer using all of the rupes together as a system.
    I pretty much only use it as a system. I see a LOT of people out there successfully using the machines with other products/pads, but I've been VERY impressed with what the system can deliver.

I have this Audi in the garage tonight, for a full Cut/Polish/Seal (Option 3 on my menu), and I did some preliminary testing before I get to work in the morning.

In doing the test spots, I found that the top surfaces do ok with the green/green combo, but the heavily swirled sides needed a bit more power to cut through.

Because my blue foam pads are at my house, I used my original version blue microfiber pads with Zephir compound. I was surprised at how fast it cut. I did my typical four passes, and got about 85-90% correction. But the face of the pad was shiny, glazed with clear coat. I dropped to three, then two passes, and still got 85-90% correction, and a glazed pad full of clear.

The point is - while it might outwardly appear that the Zephir/Blue original microfiber pad ISN'T cutting, It's actually cutting TOO fast, and loading up before the normal set of passes. Once loaded up, it no longer cuts. The fibers are full at that point, and no longer able to accept any more cut paint.

I'm going to do one more experiment with the new version of the Rupes microfiber pads. So far, I haven't got the cut that the original pads have given me, but the finish is pretty nice. These are almost identical to the Meguiar's version, but has a stiffer backing. The fibers are quicker to mat down than the originals in the testing I've done so far. I have yet to do an entire vehicle with the new ones though. I keep going back to the originals. At this point, I'm VERY disappointed to see the original pads go. Nothing on the market quite like them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a GG6 da and with a mf pad and I get better results in 3 passes than in 6 passes with orange foam, and it finishes just fine with Griots Complete Compound.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123