autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber cutting pads

Quote Originally Posted by andy2485 View Post
    MF make for a much cleaner process. foam pads,especially cutting pads, can be a mess.
    If I can get the same result with a MF pad as a wool pad with a rotary, then Count Me In. Nothing worse then chasing the cleanup of a wool pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike why don't you like microfiber pads? I get great results using Meg's microfiber pads and CarPro Essence. What would you suggest to get the max cut with Essence. Have you tried any of the new Buff and Shine blue heavy cut foam pads? Menzerma products don't seem to play well with Rupes pads and I have been using Meg's microfiber pads with good results, but you are the guru of all things detailing and would appreciate your input on what is best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Mike why don't you like microfiber pads? I get great results using Meg's microfiber pads and CarPro Essence. What would you suggest to get the max cut with Essence. Have you tried any of the new Buff and Shine blue heavy cut foam pads? Menzerma products don't seem to play well with Rupes pads and I have been using Meg's microfiber pads with good results, but you are the guru of all things detailing and would appreciate your input on what is best.
    Tossing my two cents out there....I use MF Pads sparingly only because I think they work better on specific paints. Audi's which I do work on for obvious reasons tend to respond well to them but there is still a need to polish and remove a slight hazing. That said, I see more hazing or not as perfect of a finish-out with MF on other paints. Just depends as I have seen awesome results with a simple Orange Pad. If you need more cut, move to a thinner/flat orange pad vs the thicker ones. If you still need more, move to a more aggressive product with the same pad. If it's horrible try those same products with a yellow pad.

Again, just my two cents. I think the product is more impactful and important than the pad as the product is what's actually touching the paint and doing the work.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's microfiber cutting and finishing pads are pretty much all I use for correction stages. If the paint doesn't respond well to microfiber pads I'll switch to LC thin purple foamed wool on a long throw DA. Foam cutting pads can also work great in certain situations. It really all depends on the paint system you're working on and whatever you find out in your test spot procedure.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Mike Phillips

Thanks for all the questions about why I don't like microfiber pads... nothing against them it's just if I need to remove a lot of paint quickly I'll break out either the rotary buffer or the Flex 3401 and be done with it.

Then clean it up using foam on any dual action polisher.

I used my first Meguiar's MF pad back in 2005 these were their OEM pads and not available to the public. I'm pretty familiar with what they can and cannot do.

Here's the first car I buffed out using the OEM Meguiar's microfiber pads with M86, this was back in 2005

After

6. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I get it. Nothing wrong with a microfiber pad, you can just use a Flex 3401 or a rotary to remove paint faster. Thanks, I use Rupes polishers and don't have a Flex or a rotary, so it will just take me longer using a microfiber pad. I just really like how Essence and a microfiber pad work together. It is my favorite combo pre coating right now.

Post Thanks / Like

That Viper looks GREAT!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigry18 View Post
    I'm waiting for my g21 griots . In the mean time I try a MD pad on my gg6 and wow!
    congrats on the new purchase, you're going to love it!
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I love MF pads, especially since I purchased a air compressor. Cleaning pads made simple. It never seems foam pads are as clean as MF pads during the process. I've been thinking of trying MF finishing pads next but cant think of what the difference is between the MF cutting and MF finishing. Is it the GSM? I guess it depends on who manufactures the disc. I don't mind foam when it comes to waxing so much as theres less need for residue control.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't love using microfiber pads, but love what they can do. Foam is a lot easier to keep clean, but for heavy, heavy cut I like the Megs damf system, and the Rupes Zephir/Blue microfiber pads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast