autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't get Wolfgang 3.0 to 'stick' on bumper

Hi All,

First post here and I'm having a durability issue with Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 localized to the rear bumper's horizontal 'shelf' surface and vertical surface immediately behind it on my Prius C. I drive this car for rideshare (Uber/Lyft) so keeping it clean is important. I last applied DGPS 3.0 3 months ago after washing/claying/polishing using Random Orbital with Meguiar's pre-wax glaze (even though the car was new). I wiped down the bumper with Meguiar's ultimate quik detailer and reapplied DGPS3.0 less than 3 weeks ago and it seems like it's gone already.

Essentially, Wolfgang 3.0 has stuck amazingly everywhere else BUT these sections of the bumper. Water no longer beads.

Unfortunately the hatchback aerodynamics cause the back end to be a magnet for crud. The rear end will be covered with a layer of dust within 2 hours of driving under the best of circumstances. Any moisture/rain/water on the roof drains along the side of the hatch and flows over the bumper. I have a feeling that the dirt accumulation and being a drainage area for water/crap abrades/compromises the sealant very quickly.

Might also have to do with the bumper being plastic?

Any tips to get better results?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't get Wolfgang 3.0 to 'stick' on bumper

Why UQD before WGDGPS?

That could be part of the problem

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    Why UQD before WGDGPS?

That could be part of the problem
    I wasn't ready to wash the whole car yet so used a MF cloth and UQD to get the dirt off prior to reapp'ing DGPS. Prior to using UQD DGPS seemed like it was already gone however. Also, I did the UQD wipe down and DGPS reapply to the entire bumper, the corners and side areas seemed to have lasted no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar issue with my Durango, the dirt and salt builds up there also . Did you clay that area? The Durango is coated with CQUK and when clean water still pools, I'd say your problem isn't the Wolfgang but with the flat surface that just collects more crap from driving.

Post Thanks / Like

Same problem with my CTS Coupe as far as dust and crud are concerned. My WGS sticks just fine but at the same time that area gets "scrubbed" more than any other area. I would suggest re-claying the area and some IPA or Wolfgang Perfect Paint Prep just prior to sealent application. Also remember it takes 12 hours for the sealent to fully cure. You could be exposing that area to moisture prior to a full cure due to anything and anything in the air heading straight to that location.

Post Thanks / Like

There is the possibility that area is getting coated with dirt/dust/grit/ect and the water is pooling on top of the dirt/everything. The sealant is still there it just can't bead due to the layer on top of it. I would just live with it rather then wiping that one spot often. If moister is getting trapped there before WG has the time it needs to cure then maybe try Blackfire sealant as it has a faster curing time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wytstang View Post
    There is the possibility that area is getting coated with dirt/dust/grit/ect and the water is pooling on top of the dirt/everything. The sealant is still there it just can't bead due to the layer on top of it. I would just live with it rather then wiping that one spot often. If moister is getting trapped there before WG has the time it needs to cure then maybe try Blackfire sealant as it has a faster curing time.
    It may be that it's simply pooling on top, but the bead performance is poor even after a wipedown.

But yeah, this seems like a 'just deal' situation. Keeping that area clean is an exercise in futility.

Thanks all!