autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolfgang Twins

Mike Phillips

Re: Wolfgang Twins

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    I've never been a fan of diminishing abrasive technology.
    Interesting... SMAT as we commonly know it hasn't been around that long, coarse, hard abrasives have been around forever but generally speaking, when we in the discussion forum world talk about "SMAT" we're talking about the introduction of Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasive Technology and not the old caveman abrasive compounds common before clearcoat technology became the norm.

If you're not a big fan of diminishing abrasive technology... what's your preference for a SMAT finishing polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Interesting... SMAT as we commonly know it hasn't been around that long, coarse, hard abrasives have been around forever but generally speaking, when we in the discussion forum world talk about "SMAT" we're talking about the introduction of Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasive Technology and not the old caveman abrasive compounds common before clearcoat technology became the norm.

If you're not a big fan of diminishing abrasive technology... what's your preference for a SMAT finishing polish?

Hey Mike,

I haven't been into machine polishing toooo long, so I never was forced to use DAT only polishes. SMAT was an option when I started. Obviously, DAT polishes are extremely effective because they've been around so long, I just like the idea of SMAT polishes better. I've used Wolfgang, Menzerna, etc... As far as a finishing polish, I've found that you can sometimes finish better with DAT polishes, especially on soft paint. However, I don't work on show cars, so SMAT finishing polishes(M205, Ultimate Polish) do just fine.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Hey Mike,

I haven't been into machine polishing toooo long, so I never was forced to use DAT only polishes. SMAT was an option when I started.
    And a good option at that... I was still at Meguiar's when one of the chemist brought over some M205 in Lab Sample Bottles for Nick Chapman and myself to test out on Nate Truman's 1996 Batmobile and we both really liked it's ease of use, long buffing cycle, excellent results and easy wipe-off.

Obviously, DAT polishes are extremely effective because they've been around so long, I just like the idea of SMAT polishes better.
    To my knowledge Menzerna and Meguiar's have been offering DAT products as long and even longer than anyone and they both have diminishing abrasive products that work excellent.

I've used Wolfgang, Menzerna, etc... As far as a finishing polish, I've found that you can sometimes finish better with DAT polishes, especially on soft paint.
    My experience also.

However, I don't work on show cars, so SMAT finishing polishes(M205, Ultimate Polish) do just fine.
    And for that type that's a great way to go... one sign of an professional detailer is being able to adjust their products, pads, tools and techniques to the task at hand and you've definitely reached this level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

And for that type that's a great way to go... one sign of an professional detailer is being able to adjust their products, pads, tools and techniques to the task at hand and you've definitely reached this level.

Thank you, Mike.

I'm sure you remember how I struggled to want a PERFECT finish when I first started, but I've completely changed my thought process and put things into perspective. I've worked on a couple cars that I feel I gave a show car finish, but most cars that I work on don't want to pay for that. As I've come along, I've learned a TON, thanks to you. I'm pretty comfortable machine polishing these days and I LOVE it!!!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

so what would you use for a show car
    5starmotoring88@gmail.com
    2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamores23 View Post
    so what would you use for a show car
    A show car finish usually requires a last step of a very light finishing polish like menzerna 85rd to jewel the paint. Although, if your working with hard paint, I think you can get a show car finish with M205. So, it really all depends.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

gotta love that po85 huh
    5starmotoring88@gmail.com
    2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Mike.

I'm sure you remember how I struggled to want a PERFECT finish when I first started, but I've completely changed my thought process and put things into perspective. I've worked on a couple cars that I feel I gave a show car finish, but most cars that I work on don't want to pay for that. As I've come along, I've learned a TON, thanks to you. I'm pretty comfortable machine polishing these days and I LOVE it!!!
    Very true about what they are willing to pay for. Some people are very happy with 85% corrected paint and even happier with the fact that the interior is clean and smells good. I have learned the best thing to do is talk to the customer previous to doing any work and find out exactly what they want and deliver my services to their needs, not to what I think should be done!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Very true about what they are willing to pay for. Some people are very happy with 85% corrected paint and even happier with the fact that the interior is clean and smells good. I have learned the best thing to do is talk to the customer previous to doing any work and find out exactly what they want and deliver my services to their needs, not to what I think should be done!
    Amen to that.
    2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, 2016 Focus RS.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the twins ...

Scott

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast