autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Car

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car

Tell the dealer you don’t want anything but a rinse, and to take the plastic off and do the computer stuff, then take it home and do your thing… Don’t let them touch it with a buffer, rags or anything else…
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

All depends how much the dealer did (bad) before you got the vehicle?

I don't think it's a common prep task that a dealer will start buffing paint with polishers, etc. All they want to do is spend as little time possible to get a vehicle out the door and into the customer's hands.

I would say after a careful wash and dry, inspect the paint-etc visually, and as well the plastic baggie test also wouldn't hurt.

I'm of the "less is more" camp in that I'd let things live a little before resorting to any use of abrasive polishes if one can avoid such.
    Because any time you polish, you are removing some paint.

Perhaps for now, sure, WGDGPS-Fuzion, cant go wrong there. Have good wash products on hand, and use good techniques would be my suggestions initially, then go from there.
    All the WG products are great, and one might not have a need to resort to either WG TSR or Uber Compound at this point. The mildest in the line-up is the finishing glaze which is not a glaze, but an ultra fine polish to bring out the best high gloss finish.

Post Thanks / Like

My car should be delivered around Christmas time, after I get home I’ll do a complete wash and then the following:
    1. A slow orbital with a very mild pad with car Pro essence gloss enhancer, prob just the sides....
    2. Black fire SIO2 spray
    3. And then every couple months after wash, Carpro hydr02 lite spray rinse....

It’s a leased car so I’m not gonna spend hours on a detail, just enough to set up a self cleaning Surface.....
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    All depends how much the dealer did (bad) before you got the vehicle?

I don't think it's a common prep task that a dealer will start buffing paint with polishers, etc. All they want to do is spend as little time possible to get a vehicle out the door and into the customer's hands.

Oh yeah they do... I have seen it with my own eyes.

It's part of the exit prep before the customer gets the car.

They go over them inside and out, washing the outside then hit it with some wax using a rotary buffer and wool pad. You can cover the whole car with wax in about a min or two. Usually something like Megs #26 Yellow Wax, dries fast too. Then hit it again with the wool pad to remove it.

Fast as possible.

When the cars come off the truck there is work to do before they even put them on the lot.

But they don't do anything to the outside of the cars then, they wait until it's sold 1st. The cars could be sitting out on the lot for MONTHS before they are sold.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    My car should be delivered around Christmas time, after I get home I’ll do a complete wash and then the following:
    1. A slow orbital with a very mild pad with car Pro essence gloss enhancer
    2. Black fire SIO2 spray
    3. And then every couple months after wash, Carpro hydr02 lite spray rinse....

It’s a leased car so I’m not gonna spend hours on a detail, just enough to set up a self cleaning Surface.....

If it's a lease I wouldn't do too much with it either.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.