autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Über SiO2 Coating Wash

I recently purchased Wolfgang Über SiO2 Coating Wash and plan to try it out tomorrow when the weather warms to the mid-40's. Has anyone tried this product in a foam gun or foam cannon and how much did you add to the bottle?

I usually add about 1/4" to the foam cannon bottle measured up the side when set on a flat surface and fill just under half way with warm water. This provides enough soap mixture to completely cover two mid-sized SUV's in thick foam. I normally foam the vehicle then go over it with a microfiber wash mitt rinsing in a bucket with a grit guard after each panel. I use about the same amount of soap with the foam gun as well but spray each vehicle in thirds washing with the mitt in between since the foam is not nearly as thick and runs off too quickly.

Based on the reviews I wanted to try this coating wash to provide some additional winter protection until the weather warms and I can more fully detail the vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Über SiO2 Coating Wash

Good luck. I’ve only used it as a bucket wash, and like other SiO2 shampoos, it’s not very sudsy. I hope it works with the gun, but if not, something like BF Foam Booster would probably help. Hopefully not needed though.

Everything else about is great including protection and self-cleaning (from a shampoo!). Let us know how it goes!

3. Thanks PEAD19 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Good luck. I’ve only used it as a bucket wash, and like other SiO2 shampoos, it’s not very sudsy. I hope it works with the gun, but if not, something like BF Foam Booster would probably help. Hopefully not needed though.

Everything else about is great including protection and self-cleaning (from a shampoo!). Let us know how it goes!
    Good to hear you like it. I still haven't got to try mine out yet.

Post Thanks / Like

My only concern is allowing it to dwell too long which may cause streaking or ghosting. I know this is the case with Hydrofoam by CarPro. Curious to hear how it works for you though.

6. Thanks vincec thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mixed up just enough to fully cover one vehicle using about a 1/4" of coating wash mixed with a 1/3 filled bottle on my MTM PF22 foam cannon. I had a feeling the suds wouldn't last so I pressure washed the entire vehicle (that really wasn't too dirty) first, cleaned the wheels and tires with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and rinsed, then foamed the entire vehicle and hit it with the microfiber wash mitt from top to bottom. By the time I got around the vehicle a lot of the suds were gone and the remaining water was already beading. I rinsed everything down with the hose and the hydrophobic behavior was excellent. The water beading was great on everything including the plastic trim.

I used my leaf blower (230 mph rated) to remove the water and 99% of the water blew off the vehicle. I usually get about 90%-95% water removal doing this so the coating wash made a nice improvement here.

I normally use Duragloss Aquawax as a drying aide but didn't today as the surface of the paint was pretty slick and I wanted to see how long with SiO2 protection holds up on a daily driver. I went over everything with my Guzzler waffle weave drying towel and had to wet it first because there was not enough water remaining on the vehicle to fully wet the 16" x 24" towel.

Using the MTM Foam Cannon to apply the coating wash put a consistent coating on the entire vehicle. I was in the shade and it was low-40's with light wind. I may try and mix this with Bodywork Shampoo next time to see if this helps with the dwell time. I didn't really experience any streaking, only the bottom plastic trim and a good wipe off with my drying towel took care of that.

8. Thanks acuRAS82, Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^Glad it worked well for what it’s good at (leaving stuff behind and being slick, more so than the suds). I bet the foam cannon leaves a nice uniform layer of the SiO2, as you already mentioned. I also found no streaking issues after a normal drying session. That allows one to not rush while working the product in, which likely helps the bonding of the protection as it sits.

I’m interested to see how long the beating lasts on the DD.

Post Thanks / Like

^^Glad it worked well for what it’s good at (leaving stuff behind and being slick, more so than the suds). I bet the foam cannon leaves a nice uniform layer of the SiO2, as you already mentioned. I also found no streaking issues after a normal drying session. That allows one to not rush while working the product in, which likely helps the bonding of the protection as it sits.

I’m interested to see how long the beating lasts on the DD.
    I took a photo of my work vehicle after using the coating wash and drying it off.

11. Likes fly07sti, SNP209, acuRAS82, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pop!