autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WDGPS - topping?

I have the above sealant, but can it be topped with another sealant "topper" to add durability? In my particular case I have a large almost full bottle of Nanalex-SI which is a topper for Nanalex coatings. As most toppers its a quick wipe on wipe off and done, making it so convenient. Or just add another layer of WDGPS in a few months?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WDGPS - topping?

I too am a fan of WDGPS.
    I use the Wolfgang Spritz Sealant. It’s like WDGPS is a spray form and requires 12 hr cure time.
    Have also had excellent results with McKees Extender Spray Wax. The Ultima acrylic is also good and worth considering.
    Am going to use for the first time Renny Doyle’s Beadmaker later today and will see how that is.

Post Thanks / Like

WDGPS - topping?

I would not use your Nanolex SiFinish as a topper for WDGPS 3.0. The Nanolex product contains silica which likely will not be able to bond properly to the paint (as intended) due to the polymer sealant “rejecting” it. Will it fall off of your paint on to the garage floor if you use it? No.

Stick with the Wolfgang family such as the Spritz Sealant, Fuzion Spray Wax, or Fuzion Wax for the best results, or add another layer of the sealant down the road as you suggested.

Stay away from Silica spray sealants like CarPro Reload or your Nanolex as a topper for polymer based paint sealants.

Some of the currently “hot” topper products like Beadmaker and The Last Coat say they are compatible with waxes, sealants, and ceramic coatings, but IMHO if you stick with the products that are designed to work together (i.e. staying within the same product family) you will get the “best” results.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spewking View Post
    I too am a fan of WDGPS.
    I use the Wolfgang Spritz Sealant. It’s like WDGPS is a spray form and requires 12 hr cure time.
    Have also had excellent results with McKees Extender Spray Wax. The Ultima acrylic is also good and worth considering.
    Am going to use for the first time Renny Doyle’s Beadmaker later today and will see how that is.
    Thanks for the reply. I have a gallon of Beadmaker and was a little disappointed in longevity given the super hype about it. Yes it shines well, but no better than other detailing sprays I have used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    I would not use your Nanolex SiFinish as a topper for WDGPS 3.0. The Nanolex product contains silica which likely will not be able to bond properly to the paint (as intended) due to the polymer sealant “rejecting” it. Will it fall off of your paint on to the garage floor if you use it? No.

Stick with the Wolfgang family such as the Spritz Sealant, Fuzion Spray Wax, or Fuzion Wax for the best results, or add another layer of the sealant down the road as you suggested.

Stay away from Silica spray sealants like CarPro Reload or your Nanolex as a topper for polymer based paint sealants.

Some of the currently “hot” topper products like Beadmaker and The Last Coat say they are compatible with waxes, sealants, and ceramic coatings, but IMHO if you stick with the products that are designed to work together (i.e. staying within the same product family) you will get the “best” results.
    Thanks for the reply and heads-up about compatibility or rather non-compatibility. Will check out the other WG products, but what about applying Sonax Spray and Seal?

Post Thanks / Like

IMO:
    -The topping of WDGPS, with a different
    Sealant, may well “cover-up” the intrinsic
    characteristics that are particular to WDGPS.

-If you’re not completely satisfied with WDGPS’
    particular characteristics, then topping with
    a different Sealant may be one of the fastest
    and easiest ways to get out from under its spell.

•Can Nanolex’s Si Finish do the trick?
    -Since you already have a bottle of it:
    you could do a “Test Spot” by applying
    some to half of a panel (ex.: 1/2 hood)
    for first-hand results/feedback.

-As such, I’ll ask:
    What harm could become of such an action?

[After all, Nanolex’s Tech Support has previously
    reported that ”although Si-Finish doesn't like to
    be used on a wet surface (and thus doesn't act
    as a drying aid); and it doesn't have any cleaners
    in it; it is more of a spray sealant.

But then again you could use this on top of
    pretty much any existing protection, too
    ; so
    in that aspect it's almost like a QD”.
    ]

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post

Are we sure of this though? I've put Blackfire Si02 on top of all sorts of things without any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Are we sure of this though? I've put Blackfire Si02 on top of all sorts of things without any problems.
    I indicated that I would not do it. YMMV.
    ​Al Schmidt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    what about applying Sonax Spray and Seal?
    IMHO it would work fine.

If you’re looking for an easy maintenance product for your WDGPS that is not in the Wolfgang product family, I’ve had great success in the past using:

Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry Spray, spray wax

Works great as a drying aid, has terrific gloss, and plays nice with the Wolfgang sealant.
    ​Al Schmidt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    -If you’re not completely satisfied with WDGPS’
    particular characteristics, then topping with
    a different Sealant may be one of the fastest
    and easiest ways to get out from under its spell.
    I think OP just wants more durability, and Bob brings up a good point: if you admire the looks and beading of Wolfgang, maybe don’t top or at least stick within the family (Sprits Sealant has about the properties, just in less durable topper spray version).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast