autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: New to forum.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to forum.

I have lurked, read page after page of this forum for probably a year now,read Mike’s book on Show Car Finishes . I have learned a lot, tried a lot of products from AG, many of which I had never even heard of. I have had some results on my 8 yr. old BMW paint that I never thought possible.
    My latest “ experiment “ have shown me how much more I need to learn.
    I am working with Wolfgang Concourse products.
    The plan was to use the swirl remover( using a megs blk.finishing pad ),
    Then I had intended to use WG’s paint work polish enhancer followed by WG’s finishing glaze.
    The swirl remover worked great , no problems.
    When I started putting the enhancer on my test spot I found it very hard to remove. I tried wiping it as soon as I got it on and letting it set up for 15 minutes or so. I put it on one spot with another foam Meg’s finishing pad and another spot with a Meg’s mf pad. When I started wiping I got a ton of dust and a sore elbow from rubbing.
    Will someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Re: New to forum.

Quote Originally Posted by RBATTLE10 View Post

I have lurked, read page after page of this forum for probably a year now, read Mike’s book on Show Car Finishes . I have learned a lot, tried a lot of products from AG, many of which I had never even heard of. I have had some results on my 8 yr. old BMW paint that I never thought possible.
    Sounds like the normal path most people take when they get into car detailing...

My latest “ experiment “ have shown me how much more I need to learn.
    I am working with Wolfgang Concourse products.
    The plan was to use the swirl remover( using a megs blk finishing pad ),
    Then I had intended to use WG’s paint work polish enhancer followed by WG’s finishing glaze.
    On paper the above recipe can sound right but and it's a path I've seen a lot of people take over the years but it's redundant.

The swirl remover worked great , no problems.
    TSR or Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover is a great medium cut polish that uses top shelf abrasive technology. For most people and most daily drivers, after washing and claying this is all they need before going to was.

When I started putting the enhancer on my test spot I found it very hard to remove. I tried wiping it as soon as I got it on and letting it set up for 15 minutes or so. I put it on one spot with another foam Meg’s finishing pad and another spot with a Meg’s mf pad. When I started wiping I got a ton of dust and a sore elbow from rubbing.

Will someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

You're simply trying to do more than you need to do.

The Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer is a simple, non-abrasive chemical paint cleaner. It is for LIGHT SURFACE CLEANING for people with paint in good condition that are NOT going to use any type of mechanical abrasive based polishes to first clean and prep the paint.

Because you used Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover FIRST - using the paint cleaner next would be working backwards. It will do nothing for the paint that the TSR already accomplished. For those that really want to take their paint to the highest level or for anyone working on stupid-soft paint or sticky paint, the next step after the Total Swirl Remover would be the Finishing Glaze which is NOT a glaze but a fine cut polish. I can't count how many times I've had to explain that Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is not a glaze but a polish but enough that I'm completely worn out by companies using the word "glaze" to describe everything but a glaze. And yes... I have articles on both glazes and polishes that explains all this nonsense.

Here's the cure to what ails your process.

Either re-polish the area you applied the Paintwork Polish Enhancer using the Total Swirl Remover and then go to wax/sealant or re-polish the area with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, (a fine cut polish not a glaze), and then go to wax or sealant.

Using the paint cleaner won't do anything to improve what either of the "real" polishes will do for the paint and is simply a waste of product, time and energy.

A paint cleaner is an either/or product.

You are either going to use normal or real compounds and polishes to correct and prep paint before sealant the paint surface with a wax, sealant or ceramic paint coating or you are going to ONLY use a paint cleaner to lightly clean the surface before sealing the paint with a wax, sealant or ceramic paint coating.

You would never use products from both groups. Both groups being, polishes and paint cleaners.

The polish group uses abrasives to prep the paint.

The paint cleaner group uses chemical cleaners to prep the paint.

Me?

If I'm going to invest any time, energy and effort into work on car paint I will always use a real abrasive based polish and not a paint cleaner.

Why?

Because with a real polish, like the Total Swirl Remove, you get ALL the benefits of a paint cleaner PLUS correction work. So why not get it all instead of just a little? (for the same amount of time, energy and effort).

Hope that helps...

Just for fun, trying getting a detailed answer like above on a FB group.

3. Thanks SNP209 thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209, SWETM liked this post