autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WG Total Swirl Remover 3.0 vs Menzerna FG-400

More help for a newbie,

Can somebody please help me compare Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 to Menzerna FG-400?

I'm looking for a good all-around polish for my two vehicles:
    • Wife's 2007 Lincoln Navigator, champaign gold paint. Swirling isn't terrible but has light scratches and swirls from using automatic car wash (which she doesn't use anymore).
    • My 2010 Acura TL with black paint. Paint in very good condition, very little swirling but can use minor correction in spots.

I've got a GG 6" DA polisher with GG orange and red pads. I'm not averse to purchasing some new pads but wouldn't mind using the ones I have since I've already made 3 orders to AG since October.

I've used a sample of the WGTSR that I got with my last AG order with good results, but am comparing it to Menz FG-400 because that one seems to be less expensive. Price isn't the sole consideration but all things being equal it would be nice to save a little bit.

Which polish would be the best all-around buy for me between these two?

Am I missing a polish I should consider?

Thanks, everyone,

Steve

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WG Total Swirl Remover 3.0 vs Menzerna FG-400

I wish I only made 3 orders since Oct. lol. I have about 20 pads for my new pcxp. I've done some minor spot correction on my truck with just xmt360 aio. I have been looking for the "perfect" fine polish myself for light scratches and maintenance use on 2 cars. It seems like alot of people use Meguiar's 205 or 105 if they need more correction. I'll be interested in the responses you get. Good luck,
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Brian.

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like

FG-400 is a high cut compound. Similar to Power Gloss. Only difference is you dont get the typical hazing you get from a normal compound. ie finishes like a polish. Great for one step processes.

WGTSR is a higher cut polish, something close to Menz PF2500.

The WG Finishing Glaze is a low cut polish like SF4500, you use it for jeweling or creating a high gloss finish.

For you Navigator, FG-400 may be too aggressive, no need to take away more clear coat then you need too. I bet WGTSR on an orange pad will get rid of them easy.
    Compounds are not very typical for swirls. They are more used for oxidation and sanding marks.

If I were you, I would recommend Menz PF2500 on a white ccs, followed by SF4500 on a red ccs. That what I would use.

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna FTMFW!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 1953hogan View Post

More help for a newbie,

Can somebody please help me compare Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 to Menzerna FG-400?
    See Andr3wilson's reply below.

I've got a GG 6" DA polisher with GG orange and red pads. I'm not averse to purchasing some new pads but wouldn't mind using the ones I have since I've already made 3 orders to AG since October.
    The orange pads are very good polishing pads you can use them with medium cut and fine cut polishes. The red pad is good for ultra fine cut polishes and applying waxes and sealants, it's very soft.

See this thread for the future...

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post

FG-400 is a high cut compound. Similar to Power Gloss. Only difference is you dont get the typical hazing you get from a normal compound. ie finishes like a polish. Great for one step processes.

The WG Finishing Glaze is a low cut polish like SF4500, you use it for jeweling or creating a high gloss finish.
    Good answer except I would add the FG 400 wont' always finish down to LSP ready on all paints, that's where the test spot comes in handy. Also the results will be strongly affected by the pad you use.

A cutting pad by itself can leave micromarring so if a person wants to use FG 400 as a one step they need to get good results using a polishing pad minimum.

For you Navigator, FG-400 may be too aggressive, no need to take away more clear coat then you need too. I bet WGTSR on an orange pad will get rid of them easy.
    Compounds are not very typical for swirls. They are more used for oxidation and sanding marks.

If I were you, I would recommend Menz PF2500 on a white ccs, followed by SF4500 on a red ccs. That what I would use.
    There's a recipe for success!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for the advice. I don't think I was making the distinction between a "compound" and a "polish," and this clarifies things.

Best,

Steve

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike, for answering both of my posts! I feel like I know you from all the videos I've watched and really appreciate you active participation in so many topics here.

Order going in to AG today!

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    I wish I only made 3 orders since Oct. lol. I have about 20 pads for my new pcxp. I've done some minor spot correction on my truck with just xmt360 aio. I have been looking for the "perfect" fine polish myself for light scratches and maintenance use on 2 cars. It seems like alot of people use Meguiar's 205 or 105 if they need more correction. I'll be interested in the responses you get. Good luck,
    Brian
    +100 to that one!

I wonder what the 'average' number of orders per month are for AGO forum members? Then say compared to 'non' forum members?

Myself, I'd probably order something twice a month without fail (on BOGO Fridays) if it were all free shipping. Not enough to go around though when supporting all the other 'hobbies' I have from DVD & CD's, to RC trucks, photography stuff, and don't get me started on guns (about to pickup a like new Springfield XDM 4˝" from my brother in law because he moved to CA and can't own it there). And the really big hobby, home improvement! OMG it never stops. Just too many things we always want to do, like build out the kitchen in the basement for instance.

Mike Phillips

Thanks, Mike, for answering both of my posts! I feel like I know you from all the videos I've watched and really appreciate you active participation in so many topics here.

Order going in to AG today!

Keep us updated on your projects and above all, before buffing out an entire car please start by doing a test spot and inspect your results.

Make sure you're getting the results you hope for and dream about before going any further and if you do run into problems, post what you're seeing here and the forum community will do everything they can to see you through to success...

How To Do a Test Spot
    (and why it's so important)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast