autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Uber Compound Followed By ...

Ive seen several of Mike's threads where he hits the entire vehicle with WG Uber Compound and then finishes with WG Finishing Glaze - essentially skipping over the WG Total Swirl Remover. I started my detailing addiction with the 3M Compound/Swirl Remover/Ultrafina trio of products in that order. In my experience with the 3M series, I found the Ultrafina was too fine to make the leap from the Compound to the Ultrafina without using the swirl remover in between. And that's the way I invisioned the WG series of polishes. But maybe I'm wrong. Are the WG polishes intended to be a 3-step process - Uber Compound/Total Swirl Remover/Finishing Glaze? Or a 2-step process and you select the Uber Compound or Total Swirl Remover based on how much correction you need, then go straight to the Finfshing Glaze - even if you started with the Uber Compound?

Any pad recommendations with these polishes?

Thank you!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uber Compound Followed By ...

The days of three steps are dead and gone. We are currently moving from two steps to one with current paint and detailing technology. As for pads, what polisher is it for?

Post Thanks / Like

15 & 21 mm long throws. (Rupes knock-offs) Currently have Green, Yellow & White Rupes pads and polishes. The green pad is pretty coarse, but the yellow combo at times seems a touch too fine to correct more noticeable defects. I'm really impressed with the YouTube vids of the Uber Compound. Seems to correct like Rupes Green pad/polish combo, but finish out like the Rupes Yellow combo.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

WG Uber is Menz 400, so it will correct like Rupes Blue Zephir, neither Zephir,Quarz or Uber can finish like Rupes Keramik, while they finish out lsp ready certainly not onpar Keramik.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PDC View Post

Ive seen several of Mike's threads where he hits the entire vehicle with WG Uber Compound and then finishes with WG Finishing Glaze - essentially skipping over the WG Total Swirl Remover.

If you read enough of my posts you'll see patterns. A pattern is where I stress information over and over again to simply educate.

I've been detailing cars as long and sometimes longer than most people still breathing. And as important, I've been TYPING how-to information also as long and in most cases longer than any other "Online Detailer". The written word is powerful and as long as companies like AG pay their server bill, the information endures over time.

Here's where I'm going with the above... one of the things I type about all the time are these two words,

Abrasive Technology

Abrasive technology has come a LONG way in the last 10 years and it's still getting better and better. It is due to the improvements in abrasive technology that enable you to skip a step. In the old days you couldn't skip a step and that's because the abrasive technology was basically rocks-in-a-bottle. So after the compounding step you would have to do at least 2 polishing steps and the rocks in the bottleS would continue to refine the scouring each step inflicted into the paint.

It's simply not like that now days. But you still have to use good products, good brands. I see posts all the time on this forum and in the FB world where someone asks for help because their black paint looks gray after buffing. The gray appearance is micro-marring. When you scratch something CLEAR you turn it OPAQUE. Opaque is a level of whiteness. So when you scratch a clearcoated black finish you turn the clearcoat whitish and this makes the paint look gray.

I have people "try" to argue with me that technique is the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint. First - I don't waste my time arguing so they lose on the front. Second, I confident from real-world experience, and lots of it, that I'm right.

But "yes" with good abrasive technology you can compound and then go to a fine cut polish an skip the medium cut polishing step.

See my book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine - page 92. I created 4 categories for our industry, (no one else was doing it so I don't mind) and ANY brand of compound or polish on the market today will fit into one of these 4 categories.

1: Aggressive or Coarse Compound

2: Medium Cut Polish

3: Fine Cut Polish

4: Ultra Fine Cut Polish

Uber Compound is category 1.

Total Swirl Remover is category 2.

Finishing Glase is category 3.

Also, Finsihing Glaze is NOT a glaze, as stated above, it's a fine cut polish. Not sure why someone chose the word glaze to put on the label but what I do know is for years now I've cleared up all the confusion it causes.

Quote Originally Posted by PDC

I found the Ultrafina was too fine to make the leap from the Compound to the Ultrafina without using the swirl remover in between.
    Correct. My experience too. I stopped using the 3M system years ago though, everything they make is recommended for use with rotary buffers, not orbital polishers.

And that's the way I invisioned the WG series of polishes. But maybe I'm wrong. Are the WG polishes intended to be a 3-step process - Uber Compound/Total Swirl Remover/Finishing Glaze? Or a 2-step process and you select the Uber Compound or Total Swirl Remover based on how much correction you need, then go straight to the Finishing Glaze - even if you started with the Uber Compound?
    Depends on the paint and your skill level. There's something to be said for experience when it comes to the first step - compounding. Things like,

Pad choice
    Arm speed
    Downward pressure or no downward pressure
    Number of section passes
    Tool speed setting

If you work the Uber Compound for around 8 section passes with the right pad for the job at hand and get close to all the other important techniques you can work the paint up to near flawlessness and then go to the Finishing Glaze.

Heck the TSR finishes out really nice too so you could go from the Uber Compound to the Total Swirl Remover and then go to your LSP - depending upon the paint and your level of finish quality expectations.

Any pad recommendations with these polishes?
    Cutting pads with the Uber compound

Polishing pads with the TSR

Finishing pads with the FG

6. Likes RBATTLE10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

THANK YOU MIKE!

I have the Rupes pads for my Rupes (imposter) long throw machines. Do you recommend a different brand of pad when using the WG products? Or Just use the WG products with the Yellow and White Rupes pads?

I did my entire car last weekend very carefully and - I thought very well. I was using a very bright fluorescent work light along the way. Looked gorgeous in the garage, but outside, I see a few sections that don't meet my standards. 'Most' of the car looks as good in the sun as it did under the fluorescent light. I'm tempted to snap up the WG polishing products because everything of that line I have used has blown away whatever I was using before. I don't mind making mistakes and learning from them - just trying to learn as expediently as possible. I also need that full spectrum light that you guys sell on Autogeek. My heavy duty fluorescent seems to hide as many imperfections as it brings out. Weird.

Mike Phillips

THANK YOU MIKE!

I have the Rupes pads for my Rupes (imposter) long throw machines. Do you recommend a different brand of pad when using the WG products? Or Just use the WG products with the Yellow and White Rupes pads?
    RUPES blue foam pads works great with Uber. I mostly use blue/white but I've only had good luck with all RUPES pads and products.

I did my entire car last weekend very carefully and - I thought very well. I was using a very bright fluorescent work light along the way. Looked gorgeous in the garage, but outside, I see a few sections that don't meet my standards.
    Just part of the learning curve...

'Most' of the car looks as good in the sun as it did under the fluorescent light. I'm tempted to snap up the WG polishing products because everything of that line I have used has blown away whatever I was using before.

Get these...

The Wolfgang Four

Here are four products that will take care of about 99.9% of any exterior paint correction product you'll ever have in your garage.

The Wolfgang Four

And get this... kind of pricey but worth it in so many ways...

SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Product Review by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered. Thank you again Mike.