autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Black Plastic Moulding "How to Remove"

Hello
    I used the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on a new Honda Pilot Touring.
    I used the sealant very sparingly
    I had read somewhere on Autogeeks web site the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant would not stain molding.
    I noticed after buffing the Sealant I had hit the edges of the molding in some places with the Sealant during application.
    It was not very visible and I did not worry about it.
    After washing the car for the first time the areas where the sealant is has turned white.
    What an ugly mess.
    I tried using mineral to remove the sealant with no luck.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions.
    I will be taping the molding in the future before using again.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Black Plastic Moulding "How to Remove"

Mostly all sealants will stain trim! WG, Jetseal, Powerlock etc. those are the most popular.

I fixed up a X5 with horribly stained trim.

Used a strong degreaser then applied DLux

Solution Finish works great too but my go to trim product is DLux.

Any pics of the staining ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Black Plastic Moulding "How to Remove"

Thanks for the reply
    The wife is on a trip in the car at the moment but your pic is exactly the issue. Looks almost identical
    I will be checking into DLux

How does it hold up over time

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rpence View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    The wife is on a trip in the car at the moment but your pic is exactly the issue. Looks almost identical
    I will be checking into DLux

How does it hold up over time

Applied correctly it will last a very long time. Like years.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect
    Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Magic Eraser to remove polish and wax residue from black trim. It requires very little effort and it completely removes the residue.

Post Thanks / Like

If APC/degreaser and a soft brush are unable to remove the staining permanently, I'll use a soft 4" black waffle polishing pad and very low speeds on a 8mm DA and HD Polish+ to "deep clean" black plastic trim. Optimum's Hyper Polish is also great for cleaning up porous black trim.

The only real danger of using this method is knocking down the texture of the plastic which is really only something to worry about if you are using high speeds or heavy pressure. HD Speeds also works well to clean up most trim but I like HD Polish+ more for this purpose. It's the best polish I've found for rubber window moldings and seals.

IME Wolfgang DGPS, Powerlock, Mckee's Paint Sealant, & FK1000p all stain trim if allowed to dry which is why most guys recommend using a trim sealant like WETS prior to applying your paint sealant to protect the trim. IME all the paint sealants sold by AG are trim safe AS LONG as you use the apply and immediately remove method. Otherwise they all will typically cause some staining. The black trim on my truck I use Fk1000p and immediately buff it off without any issues of staining and that is one of those paint sealants that is filled with tons of solvents and is known for staining trim.

One other thing, A magic eraser is indeed effective at cleaning textured plastic trim but HD Polish+ on a soft polishing pad is actually more effective at deep cleaning and less likely to actually smooth out the plastics texture.

8. Thanks Eldorado2k, VitreousHumor thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, JKDesign liked this post