autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Going to give coatings another try...just bought the WG kit

So I first tried a paint coating when I got my car back in winter of 2014, couldn't wait for spring. That paint coating was from Duragloss so I expected great results based off of past performance of all the other products I've tried from them. I have to admit that I really wanted to get my then brand new car coated, so I applied it, after a polishing with M101 to make sure it was spot on. The temp outside was 56 and I figured it was atleast 60 down in the garage. The product went on fine and it sat for an entire day. I was pretty happy with the results from what I can remember but I decided to apply a 2nd coat when it reached a warmer temp, once again, I was pretty happy with the results. Fast forward about 6 more weeks and I noticed the gloss wasn't as strong as it had been when I first applied it. At this point I decided to apply a 3rd coat when it was about 80 outside but at this point I had my doubts, I ended up applying DG AW to give it a boost, so I just chalked it up and moved on from there.

The following year I went back to waxes and sealants and liked doing that because I like doing "something" to my car, same held true for 2016, waxes and sealants and spray waxes all in the mix, car looked great all the time. I have to admit that when I saw some of the players stepping into the game for those non professional installers I became interested once again. I saw Sonax was due to come out with their own paint coating but its not out yet, so I decided to go with Wolfgang and I did because of the performance of their rinseless wash, not to mention the reviews but the rinseless wash has been so damn impressive that their coating HAS to be equally impressive.

I ordered it yesterday to take advantage of the 20% and free shipping, that cuts into the price of $129.00, anyone is going to that and I have to admit that Opti Gloss Coat was actually in my cart due to an even lower price and larger size, not to mention that I have used that product on 3 cars in the past year and half with great success due to ease of use and finish, not to mention another product with a great rep. That said, I removed it from my cart and added WG based on their reviews and my own history with their product line.

So for those who've used this product, any suggestions you wanna give me? I'm pretty comfortable applying coatings as the ones I've used have a great working time and every one of them that I've used in the past allows me to wipe down high spots on site, I like that and wanna know is this the case with WG paint coating. Also one more question and this is pretty important, how long do I need to wait to apply and 2nd coat? I ask because I wanna coat the sh!t out o the paint and really leave it alone other than routine RW's and WW's. Also, can I use my FrankenDetailer once a month to just give it a kick in appearance or any other spray wax?

I know this is alot of questions but I trust the experienced people here on AG to come through for me, I have atleast 5 monthes till I use this product on my car and yes, its going to be polished with M101 once again to give it a flawless finish prior to coating.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes RBATTLE10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going to give coatings another try...just bought the WG kit

I'd give it about two hours before a second coat just to be safe. I don't know if it's just me but I find three costs is the magical number to make the coating look best but I find with every coating I've used, three layers makes it look the glossiest. You can use whatever spray detailer you want as long as it works for you. Just make sure you use the Wolfgang paint prep for it, I find chemical synergy is more important with coatings than traditional wax or sealant. Also after you coat the car, I would give it a fallout remover treatment once per year.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't answer any of your questions, but I decided to go back down the coating rabbit hole again as well. I thought long and hard about which coating to use...

To make a long story short - I boiled it down to Gloss Coat, McKees 37, or Pinnacle BL.

I decided to go with PBL, mainly because it contains several application per purchase.

We will see how it holds up to the salt and snow up here. All my results and opinions will be posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was given PBL paint coating by KevinWelch because he didn't care for it too much. I applied it to my car in Nov of 2015 to get me through the winter and it actually did a great job and looked great doing it. I didn't notice a decrease in GLOSS either, so IMO it's a much better product than DG and it hurts me to say that because DG was generous enough to me to give me a kit to giveaway at one of our detail days when it first came out. I also checked DG's site here on AG and don't see the paint coating there anymore, hmmmm.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Remember some "toppers" can actually clog coatings. So once in a while if you see a fall off of looks/beading/sheeting, do a decon wash. Then judge.

Post Thanks / Like

Willsport3, I appreciate the info on the 2 hour wait time as well as the 3 coats. I plan on using the entire 15 ml when I do my car in the spring. I will do chemical decontamination and then a Griot's clay mit wipe prior to polishing and then the WGUPC, entire tube.

Keep the responses coming everyone👈

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Remember some "toppers" can actually clog coatings. So once in a while if you see a fall off of looks/beading/sheeting, do a decon wash. Then judge.
    I agree with Ron. A decon wash helps a lot with a coated vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the 2nd & 3rd application of WGUC more of a PIA and the results looked no different then the 1rst application. I am not sure I would do a 2nd or 3rd application of WGUC again when the time comes. I have not topped our vehicles and have only performed WG Rinseless washes. Both still bead like they were just applied, I also have not done a Decon wash yet either. I will say that the CQUK had tighter beads then WGUC.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll like the WG coating, Roger. I used it on the driver quarter panel after I got hit again a month or so ago as well as the wheels. I've used it on my wife's windows and hood. It goes on incredibly easily and buffs off almost effortlessly. Very glossy. It should make your metal flake really pop.

I don't care for the Lake Country foam pads that are recommended for the application. I prefer using the microfiber suede to apply this and other coatings. There's plenty of coating in the syringe for a number of applications.

Of note: Gyeon Mohs is an excellent coating as well. I've been using PA Viking Spritz and may go to PA Cosmic next round. Hard to say, because the Gyeon is holding up like a champ and I may wait out the two years.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I agree with Ron. A decon wash helps a lot with a coated vehicle.
    Just so I'm clear, when you say decon wash your talking about doing a clay towel wipe down with a wash or are talking about using IronX or equivalent once a year?

I've been using my speed prep towel (fine grade) about every 4-6 weeks on my car during the 3 seasons to keep it free of embedded contaminants.

Kevin, who has that applicator your talking about? When using Gloss Coat I used the provided applicator and had no issues, it even had a pocket on the one side to make it even easier. I also have some unused cotton and mf applicators as well in my collection.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast