autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going to give coatings another try...just bought the WG kit

You can use WGU on any part of your car except ya know, the tires. With glass, the trick is to work it in thoroughly so you're filling all the small pores to seal the glass fully and then make sure you buff off thoroughly. I would jump inside the car and take a look too just in case you miss a small amount of streaking or smearing. That's why it's more expensive, its' a lot more versatile. Iron X is the safest decontamination method essentially, especially for a coated car, the idea is that yes you CAN clay if you would really like to but it's a risk issue. For most coating installations, the paint has been absolutely polished to the best that the person can so do you really want to take a risk in marring after all that? I mean ultimately of course it's upto you but it's not suggested after all that work.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I may do a "light spraying" of IronX or equivalent after a year of the initial coating. I really don't wanna decon the paint going into the winter of 2017-18 because it will only be 6 minutes old, so the spring of 2018 would be the time it gets an IronX type product applied to it (talk about looking down the road, LOL)

I appreciate the advice here👍

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

So, what's the update, Roger? Did you apply it?

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    So, what's the update, Roger? Did you apply it?
    I didn't see any report of it in any one of his posts...

Then again I have the attention span of a gn... hey look! Shiny!
    2017 Phantom Black Metallic Chevy SS, automatic, skylight, plus unused wheel in the boot.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done it yet as I'm waiting for the weather to be properly warm this time. I say this because when I applied the DG paint coating when I first got the car it was 56 down in the garage and then I did a 2nd coat a little bit later when it was in the mid 60's. It seemed that the gloss had gone away, so the following year I went back to the jars and bottles.

Now Kevin I did use that Pinnacle BL coating going into the winter of 2015/16 and thought it held up better but then again I did it my buddy's shop where it was properly warm and I let it sit till they closed, so that helped out.

I will be doing my car as well as that GT350, the later is getting Gloss Coat and I've used that 3 times and really enjoyed working with it, stay "tuned" ==================

Post Thanks / Like

WGU ceramic coating is the only coating that I have used and quite frankly I am happy enough with it not to want to try anything else. I have used it on a black car, a red car and currently a pearl yellow car. The black car I applied one coat about 7 months ago. Have gone thru the winter in the Northeast with salt snow etc. and I do not see any difference from when I first applied it. I have used nanoshock spray wax and sealant after washing the last couple of times with no issues. This morning in the rain at highway speed I still drove most of the time without using the wipers. This car is garaged about 4 days a week and travels about 400 miles a week, mostly highway. This was the first time I used a ceramic coating.
    The red car is garaged and I also applied one coat, around Christmas time. Needless to say I have to go right up to it to see if it's dirty after using it for an entire weekend.

On the pearl yellow car I just finished the second coat and I am not sure if it improved on the first coat. Reason I did a second coat is even though I have pretty good lighting in the garage, at times it was so hard to see if the product was going on that I thought I may have missed some spots. The time difference between the first and the second coat was about a week or a week and a half, due to lack of time. I have yet to see the car in the daylight after coating it but it looks fantastic in the garage.
    So in summary the WG uber goes on easy, comes off easy and seems to be very durable.
    The key seems to be in the prep.
    Good luck and I am sure you will like this product.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also just decided to revisit coatings. Was rather unimpressed the first two times I tried them, but with people having such good luck, its gotta be me or the process. So, here we go again for me as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pearlbeauty View Post
    WGU ceramic coating is the only coating that I have used and quite frankly I am happy enough with it not to want to try anything else. I have used it on a black car, a red car and currently a pearl yellow car. The black car I applied one coat about 7 months ago. Have gone thru the winter in the Northeast with salt snow etc. and I do not see any difference from when I first applied it. I have used nanoshock spray wax and sealant after washing the last couple of times with no issues. This morning in the rain at highway speed I still drove most of the time without using the wipers. This car is garaged about 4 days a week and travels about 400 miles a week, mostly highway. This was the first time I used a ceramic coating.
    The red car is garaged and I also applied one coat, around Christmas time. Needless to say I have to go right up to it to see if it's dirty after using it for an entire weekend.

On the pearl yellow car I just finished the second coat and I am not sure if it improved on the first coat. Reason I did a second coat is even though I have pretty good lighting in the garage, at times it was so hard to see if the product was going on that I thought I may have missed some spots. The time difference between the first and the second coat was about a week or a week and a half, due to lack of time. I have yet to see the car in the daylight after coating it but it looks fantastic in the garage.
    So in summary the WG uber goes on easy, comes off easy and seems to be very durable.
    The key seems to be in the prep.
    Good luck and I am sure you will like this product.
    Great review here!

When you say it comes off easy your referring to high spots, right? Btw what are the cars you applied it to?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Great review here!

When you say it comes off easy your referring to high spots, right? Btw what are the cars you applied it to?

Yes on the high spots. The cars are as follows: the black one is a MB ML, the red is a torch red stingray Z06, and the pearl yellow is a Huracan. I found the yellow to be the hardest only because at times it was hard to see in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the look of the Huracan, especially the front, looks like fangs 🇮🇹

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast