autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going to give coatings another try...just bought the WG kit

First off. That's great that you decided on Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating. I was lucky enough to test this product and apply it to some of my customers cars. This coating is what Mike Phillips calls "Bubba Proof"

This coating wipe on very easy and wipes off even easier! The key with this coating is a little goes a long way! Wipe on. Then once it starts to flash wipe off. If it becomes a bit difficult to wipe then start wiping sooner.

Here's a review I just received a couple weeks ago from one of my clients who's Hellcat received Uber Ceramic Coating.

And Uber Rinseless wash used as maintenance with Uber Ceramic Coating is a great combo.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ng-update.html
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

I think you made a great choice... the Wolfgang Uber coating is quite durable, very glossy, and super easy to apply and remove. If you properly prep the paint and have a blank canvas, you should note a big difference. I applied thin and sparingly and had my son buff off any excess. My son is 11 and did so lightly.

Scott

3. Thanks RBATTLE10 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Kevin, who has that applicator your talking about? When using Gloss Coat I used the provided applicator and had no issues, it even had a pocket on the one side to make it even easier. I also have some unused cotton and mf applicators as well in my collection.
    Just my personal preference, but I use these:

CarPro Cquartz Applicator

CarPro Suede Microfiber Cloths, suede microfibre cloths, microfiber towels, cquartz microfiber

The larger sheets of MF suede I cut up into smaller squares. I make 2" x 2" squares and just use my fingers to weave them in and out of tight areas like door handles and wheel spokes.

They come with all the Gyeon coating products as well as the Carpro coating products.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Just so I'm clear, when you say decon wash your talking about doing a clay towel wipe down with a wash or are talking about using IronX or equivalent once a year?

I've been using my speed prep towel (fine grade) about every 4-6 weeks on my car during the 3 seasons to keep it free of embedded contaminants.
    No claying unless the manufacturer states it is ok. No need to compromise the coating. I would recommend the use of an iron remover 1-2 times a year. At the same time when you use the iron remover, mix a little APC into your bucket wash to give you a little more cleaning power to remove the built up heavier road grime. I've done this with gloss coat, my mom's which has PBL V2 and on my car with Ameriarmour to keep most contaminants off. I would also recommend using a car wash with no wax in it.

Gloss Coat on the other hand can be clayed by using the optimum car wax as clay lube and a fine grade clay or clay alternative. Search youtube for the wash, clay, wax method. Will work for those others that gloss coat.

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz is quite correct, no claying. I would avoid claying period, but using something like Iron X, Tar X, give your car a good spray down. I find once a year is fine unless there's an environmental concern based on where your car is parked for work or whatever the case is. Also, I would suggest CarPros IronX snowfoam, it cuts through grease and what not quite well. I'm not sure what other companies manufacture that's like the IronX Snowfoam but anything like that will work. A small amount of APC in your bucket wash will do wonders for a coated car, as long as you make sure you rinse thoroughly. I wouldn't necesarily clay because if you do make a mistake you'll marr your perfectly corrected paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Going to give coatings another try...just bought the WG kit

Well I don't use clay anymore but I do use a clay towel, fine grade speedy prep towel, once a month to keep the paint smooth. I do this when doing a RW but once the panel is cleaned I would re-soak the panel and wipe down with the speedy prep towel to decon the paint. I have recently bought both of the Griot's clay towels but the fine grade will the one I'll using most of the time as I stay ontop of my car and the other Griot's towel will be used for cars I do on the side that are neglected. I have never had any marring with my clay towel except when my Nanoskin gave up the ghost and boy did it marr the paint, looked like a gooey mess but I was able to remove with hand polishing.

Now about IronX once a year on a coated car, IMO this seems a bit extreme as its so strong and this would certainly compromise the paint coating, I feel using a fine grade clay towel as a part of a routine maintainence program, atleast this is what I've been doing.

I appreciate all the info here, not only am I learning something but surely others are as well
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

A clay towel is still claying. Hence the name clay lol. I would not recommend claying unless the manufacturer states that it is safe. Just trying to save you the hassle of possibly causing marring or compromising the coating as it is technically a form a mechanical abrasion.

Ironx is perfectly fine on coatings. Remember coatings can handle higher levels of ph compared to a wax or sealant. No need to worry about compromising the coating. If it does then you know that coating is not good.

Post Thanks / Like

IronX would not compromise the paint coating, it was made for use on coated cars. It will strip a lot of wax and compromise sealants (not removal) to a certain point but for a car that is already coated, it's not an issue. As long as you rinse off thoroughly, it won't compromise the paint coating.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are really educating me on Iron X. I thought it was so strong that it would deteriorate even the best paint coating. I understand that even a fine grade clay towel is still touching the paint and wearing down a coating but I honestly thought it was the "lesser of 2 evils" when it came to decon. I have NEVER had marring when using any of my clay towels (except when my Nanoskin gave up the ghost and when it did....IT DID) so I don't worry about too much honestly.

All this said, it's why I wanna apply 2x's WGU paint coating when I do it, waiting a hrs in between isn't that long as the 2nd coat of coating should go on VERY easy.

BTW how does WGU paint coating play with glass?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't use clay anymore but I do use a clay towel, fine grade speedy prep towel, once a month to keep the paint smooth.

Now about IronX once a year on a coated car, IMO this seems a bit extreme as its so strong and this would certainly compromise the paint coating, I feel using a fine grade clay towel as a part of a routine maintainence program, atleast this is what I've been doing.
    You clay once a month? WOW! I clay only when necessary. Did both cars in the early spring Prep and never had to do them again. Just rinseless washed the van today and it's as glassy smooth and perfect as always.

Iron X for each after winter but there too, don't find it necessary during the summer. Although I keep them both pretty clean at all times.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast