autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Uber Ceramic Surface & Multi-Coat Options

Hello AGO!!!

So, I received my most recent purchase and it contained Wolfgang Uber Ceramic. I'm VERY excited to put this on my wifes new car, but I do have a few questions looming over my head that I have yet to find any real concrete answers to. My plan of attack since this is a new car is as follows:

1. Foam gun the entire car (wheels included) with dawn & Megs Hyperwash blend... Let dwell until almost disolved
    2. Wash wheels & tires
    3. Wash car with 2BM from top to bottom
    4. Clay as needed on glass, paint, and wheels
    5. Correct with mild polish/pad combo to remove any defects (non discovered upon delivery)
    6. Dry car
    7. Prep with Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep

Now... after all that, the car should be ready to be coated entirely. This is where some questions come to mind that I can't find definitive answers to, so I seek the help and guidance of my fellow geeks!

1. It seems you can apply the coating to paint, glass, wheels, lights, and trim. I gathered this from the AG website, and from user postings on the forum. What about chrome accents such as exhaust tips, chrome window trim, or grill surrounds?

2. No exposure to water for at least 12 hours, but what are the ideal conditions to apply? This will be done in a garage, but it is South Florida where temps this weekend will be in the 80's to 90's, and relative humidity at an estimated 75%-90%. That being said, should I anticipate a adjustment to the time it takes the product to flash, and potentially avoid water for a longer period?

3. Lastly, has anyone applied two coats, and if so was any noticeable difference in appearance apparent, and how much time did you wait between coats?

I know this is a lot to ask, so it should go without saying that I am grateful for any responses to the above questions or critiques to my procedure... but... if it's not clear... THANK YOU FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN OFFER IN TERMS OF ADVICE!

I look forward to seeing what the community has to say about this!
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uber Ceramic Surface & Multi-Coat Options

Going to make an edit to yhe wash regiment to make it easier on you

First skip dawn. Save it for the dishes.

1. Wash wheels & tires
    2. Foam gun the entire car with Megs Hyperwash
    5. Correct with mild polish/pad combo to remove any defects (non discovered upon delivery)
    6. Dry car

I am going to post these write up for reference

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-car.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Hopefully someone else can answer your other questions as I have not used uber coating. But it should be fine for chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Going to make an edit to yhe wash regiment to make it easier on you

First skip dawn. Save it for the dishes.

1. Wash wheels & tires
    2. Foam gun the entire car with Megs Hyperwash
    6. Dry car

I am going to post these write up for reference

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-car.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Hopefully someone else can answer your other questions as I have not used uber coating. But it should be fine for chrome.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I usually tackle the wheels first without foaming the entire car because they take some time to clean. Since this is a new car, I was trying to save time by foaming the entire car first and kinda combining the steps (thinking the wheels won't take as long). But... Now that you've mentioned it, I might as well do it as I normally do, especially since I'm taking the time to put on a coating. I mean, what's an extra 15 minutes or so?

I was specifically going with Dawn as an added mechanism to cut through grease. To me, it really does do a little better job than a standard car wash soap when added. Could it be a placebo? Absolutely. LOL

I also think it should be fine for chrome, just wanted to see what the fellow geeks thought of that.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want something to cut through grease, a dedicated paint safe degreaser or a good All Purpose Cleaner can be added to your car wash solution. Just an ounce or so to the wash bucket will be much safer and do a much better job than Dawn. Even if there is no defects found, I would go over the car with a polishing pad and a finishing polish just to be on the safe side. A lot of dealership might have a detailer who won't just turn paint into the deck of the Starship Enterprise but they still do tend to use an AIO right before delivery to give it a nice sparkle and you want to get rid of any of that before you use any kind of coating. A few quick passes on each panel, and it'll make your coating results look a lot better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    If you want something to cut through grease, a dedicated paint safe degreaser or a good All Purpose Cleaner can be added to your car wash solution. Just an ounce or so to the wash bucket will be much safer and do a much better job than Dawn. Even if there is no defects found, I would go over the car with a polishing pad and a finishing polish just to be on the safe side. A lot of dealership might have a detailer who won't just turn paint into the deck of the Starship Enterprise but they still do tend to use an AIO right before delivery to give it a nice sparkle and you want to get rid of any of that before you use any kind of coating. A few quick passes on each panel, and it'll make your coating results look a lot better.
    Good point on going over with a light polish. I specifically made sure the dealer didn't detail it upon picking it up, but who knows what was put on it right after leaving the factory.

But to that point... Isn't the Perfekt Finish designed to remove polishing oils, fillers, old wax, etc? It rained last night and this morning but the car showed no signs of protection in terms of noticeable beading. I know beading isn't the only indicator, but it's a decent place to start IMO.

Maybe Perfekt Finish the whole car, check for any imperfections, and polish as needed?

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about Perfekt Finish is that it'll clean the car out of polishing oils, fillers and old wax but there's always massive debate over whether or not it'll fully remove old wax. If you were putting on a wax or a sealant, it wouldn't be as big of a deal but something like a coating needs essentially bare clearcoat. A light polish is the 100% guarantee of your paint being surgically clean but if the dealer didn't do anything to the car before delivery, then you could get away with Perfekt Finish. I'd suggest maybe going over the car twice with the wipe down, and then polishing as needed or polishing just the glamour panels (Hood, roof, trunk).

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about Perfekt Finish is that it'll clean the car out of polishing oils, fillers and old wax but there's always massive debate over whether or not it'll fully remove old wax. If you were putting on a wax or a sealant, it wouldn't be as big of a deal but something like a coating needs essentially bare clearcoat. A light polish is the 100% guarantee of your paint being surgically clean but if the dealer didn't do anything to the car before delivery, then you could get away with Perfekt Finish. I'd suggest maybe going over the car twice with the wipe down, and then polishing as needed or polishing just the glamour panels (Hood, roof, trunk).
    I like that idea. I'll give her a go, and report back to the forum how it all went!

Now... if only someone could chime in about the last 3 questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Oops I can answer those for you. No explore for water as in when you're applying the coating, do it in the garage. Leave it there for 12 hours so it doesn't get rained on, that's the initial cure time for it. Just to be safe, don't wash the car with soap or anything like that for a week. Ideal conditions to apply is in a garage with the paint cool to the touch. The humidity, just do a small test section on your hood, see how it works for you and then apply that method.

As for two coats, you can wait about an hour before doing the second coat but with this coating, there isn't much point. Two layers would only be an issue of even coverage and at the price it is, I don't know if you'd want to apply a second layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops I can answer those for you. No explore for water as in when you're applying the coating, do it in the garage. Leave it there for 12 hours so it doesn't get rained on, that's the initial cure time for it. Just to be safe, don't wash the car with soap or anything like that for a week. Ideal conditions to apply is in a garage with the paint cool to the touch. The humidity, just do a small test section on your hood, see how it works for you and then apply that method.

As for two coats, you can wait about an hour before doing the second coat but with this coating, there isn't much point. Two layers would only be an issue of even coverage and at the price it is, I don't know if you'd want to apply a second layer.
    Awesome...

I'll avoid the second coat with this stuff. Thanks again for your input!

Post Thanks / Like

No worries. Just a note with this coating, it loses its beading properties quickly when it gets dirty. There's someone on this forum who got a lot of maple tree sap on his Wolfgang coating after about 12 days so to get it back you just need to wash it properly. If you don't see the beading it's not because the coatings not effective, it's just the fact that it seems to lose beading a lot when it's dirty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast