autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfekt Vision Glass Polish longevity

Hi,

I recently applied Perfekt Vision Glass Polish to my windshield, but now have a few questions on the longevity of it:
    In order to maintain the benefit of it (the water repellency), would I need to re-apply it after:
    1) Cleaning the windshield with wiper fluid?
    2) Regular manual (cool water - two bucket) car wash?
    3) Using Gas station window cleaner and squeegee?

Also, if I did none of the above, about how long should the coating last before needing a re-application?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Perfekt Vision Glass Polish longevity

The glass polish is just a polish. There are no protective qualities in it as far as I know. You would need to either use a glass sealant, coating or the Wolfgang Class Cleaner if you would like to have the "best" water repellency. A glass coating will offer the longest durability.

Is this what you are referring to?

Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish polishes and restores auto glass windshields and windows.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
    Hi,

I recently applied Perfekt Vision Glass Polish to my windshield, but now have a few questions on the longevity of it:
    In order to maintain the benefit of it (the water repellency), would I need to re-apply it after:
    1) Cleaning the windshield with wiper fluid?
    2) Regular manual (cool water - two bucket) car wash?
    3) Using Gas station window cleaner and squeegee?

Also, if I did none of the above, about how long should the coating last before needing a re-application?

Thanks!
    Perfekt Vision Glass Polish contains no protective properties, it is just a polish designed to remove embedded dirt, water spots and topical stains from glass.

I would follow with a high quality glass sealant or glass coating.

A few that come to mind:

Maintaining a coated windshield is easy. Check out this article I wrote: How To: Properly Clean & Maintain a Coated Windshield

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
    The biggest mistake most people make after applying a glass coating is maintenance, or lack thereof. In order for a glass coating to cause water to bead up and WOW the passenger sitting next to you, your windshield needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. Road film and airborne contaminants make their way onto your windshield (and paint!) every time you pull the car out of the garage and take it for a spin. If your car sits outside 24/7, then it is constantly bombarded by the aforementioned airborne contaminants and, even worse, bird droppings! All of the above hinders the coating and its hydrophobic properties. By no means is a glass coating a "set it and forget it" type of thing. Proper maintenance is key.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand it is a polish and not a coating, but Wolfgang does claim that there is a water repellency aspect at speeds above 30mph (I've found it more in the above 45-50 range...) and I get the polish will eventually erode/age off - whatever the proper term is. And I see that the Polish simply adds to the cleanliness whereas the coating would seal in the shine.

Maybe a better question would have been will any of the above strip the polish off, shortening its life span? I realize I'll have to maintain it (the kit came with window cleaner as well). Basically if I wash/clean the windshield, will that wipe out the built in hydrophobic properties within the Wolfgang Perfekt Vision products. - Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the product description from the Autogeek store

If you have the Wolfgang Glass Cleaner you are sealing the water repellency from that.

Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish
    The first step to creating glass so clean that it’s nearly invisible

I can never get my windshield perfectly cleaned – I hear that all the time at car shows, and the recurring issue that I see is water spots, road film, and industrial fallout. When I say “see,” I mean literally – the windshields on most of these vehicles are in terrible shape. Glass cleaners are designed to remove topical stains, like finger prints, not the tough stuff like water spots and road film. Twice a year you need to cleanse your glass of the aforementioned contaminants using a specially designed glass polish, like Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish.

Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish is one of my personal favorite products, because it solves an issue almost everyone with a daily driver faces – water spots and oily road film on exterior glass, namely the windshield. This product simply works, and it works very well at that. I’m confident you’ll love it.

Like I mentioned earlier, glass cleaners that you spray onto the surface are not designed to remove oily road film, water spots, industrial fallout, and mineral deposits. For this application you need a glass polish.

Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish is a citrus-based chemical cleaner infused with a blend of glass-safe abrasives designed to gently remove water spots, road film, and other common contaminants that are often found on the windshield of a daily driver. The specially-milled abrasives remove the offending contaminants without scratching glass. Apply by hand with a terrycloth applicator or by machine with a soft foam polishing pad.

Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish also works wonders at removing tree sap and stubborn bug splatter from glass. It works at a microscopic level to gently break up and remove contaminants from the pits, pores and valleys in the glass. Trust me when I say that your glass has never been cleaner!

Frequent glass care is easy glass care, so it’s good practice to regularly clean your glass using Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Cleaner. This alcohol and ammonia free glass cleaner is 100% tint safe. What’s more, it contains a built-in water repellent that causes water to bead up and be whisked off the glass at speeds in excess of 30 mph, improving safety by increasing visibility in wet-weather conditions.