autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First episode on this Sunday! - What's in Autogeek's Garage

Got my DVR set to record all the new episodes. All the episodes will be new episodes to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished watching the show. Great job guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the show, nice job fellas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailElite View Post
    Same here, good show. Sam has been one of my favorites since way back on Shadetree Mechanic.

Good to see some real detailing and paint correction info being showed to the public. Maybe this will get more people to give it a try or at least raise an awareness that real paint correction exists and hopefully cut out some of the hack detailing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good show my son (2yrs old) and I are watching.

He has a front row seat

Ryan

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rencor View Post
    Just finished watching the show. Great job guys!
    Thanks Rene

Quote Originally Posted by DetailElite View Post
    Thanks Juan!

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Same here, good show. Sam has been one of my favorites since way back on Shadetree Mechanic.

Good to see some real detailing and paint correction info being showed to the public. Maybe this will get more people to give it a try or at least raise an awareness that real paint correction exists and hopefully cut out some of the hack detailing in the world.

And that's one of our goals, to share with the masses in the TV world some tips and techniques for detailing their cars themselves... we might even get the attention of painters and detailers that maybe have never seen some of the cool tools, pads and products we'll be showing in future episodes.

This episode had a very good segment on how to remove swirls using a Porter Cable 7424XP including showing how slow to move the polisher and you could clearly see the black mark on the backing plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbabz71 View Post
    Good show my son (2yrs old) and I are watching.

He has a front row seat

Very cool!

Mike Phillips

Shows on right now!

Post Thanks / Like

Good job, Mike!
    Had my DVR set up for the entire series, so I got a chance to watch it last night. Probably the only weak point IMO was that I couldn't see the work on the tires of the Mustang. I guess that was just a camera angle issue. Swirl removal, tire dressing, soft top treatment and waterless wash, all in one episode. Hopefully you're on the way to showing the masses the better path to complete vehicle appearance care. Not to mention increasing Auto Geek's customer base.
    Congrats and best wishes for a great season II!

Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Good job, Mike!
    Had my DVR set up for the entire series, so I got a chance to watch it last night. Probably the only weak point IMO was that I couldn't see the work on the tires of the Mustang. I guess that was just a camera angle issue. Swirl removal, tire dressing, soft top treatment and waterless wash, all in one episode. Hopefully you're on the way to showing the masses the better path to complete vehicle appearance care. Not to mention increasing Auto Geek's customer base.
    Congrats and best wishes for a great season II!

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I appreciate your taking the time to post your feedback. There was talk about having a TV show on detailing on MOL all the way back to when it went live in 2004 and it never happened till Max got behind the idea.

Lots of talk back then on a lot of forums and hardly a peep now that it's a reality. So thanks for taking the time to chime in...

As for the tire dressing shot I agree. Here's the deal just so everyone knows, at least everyone that will read this,

As each car was brought onto the set we looked for some area of the car that needed attention. Originally I wanted to show how to restore antique, original single stage paint using this Mustang, in fact you can read about just this topic on page 3 of the below thread,

Check out these car options for our TV Show

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    My article on how to restore antique and original single stage paint is one of my most favorite article as my favorite thing to do is restore antique and original paint and/or show others how to do it.

How to correctly restore antique paint
    As of today, Meguiar's has not signed-up to be a sponsor at any capacity for the show. So while I would LOVE to show the car world how to correctly restore antique and original paint on a cool car like Eddy's 1964 1/2 Mustang LIVE on TV.

This is an all original 1964 1/2 Mustang including the original interior and paint...

I know there's hundreds and even thousands of people out there with cool cars like this Mustang in their garage with the original paint that needs to be restored and they would love to know how to avoid screwing it up by starting out with a Caveman Compound, but top priority on ANY TV show goes to showcasing your sponsor's products. I hope Meguiar's will sign up at some level to be a sponsor on the show as I've invested a huge part of my life into Meguiar's to help them be successful as well as all the people that use their products. But hey... everything works out for the best in the end...

Before we started filming the second season I networked wit the local car clubs and then scheduled almost 50 different cars to show up at specific times for 5 days in a row, it was quite the challenge.

The paint on the above Mustang was oxidized and dull when I first met the owner Don Eddy. I hoped and assumed he would leave it alone for the show.

Nope.

He went out to the garage and polished and waxed the paint back to about 90% of it's potential considering he did it all by hand.

So when the Mustang arrived it looked pretty good just like Sam and I pointed out EXCEPT the tires. They were still dull and lifeless.

TV viewers couldn't see this but we all could and in keeping with our goal of honestly finding a real "auto appearance need" to address we chose the tires and Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel for the solution.

But yes... the camera didn't pick up on how dull and lifeless the rubber actually was in person.

One thing I've had the opportunity to do working with,

• MastersTV
    • My Classic Car
    • Brenton TV Productions

Is sharing with the TV crews the art of detailing in all it's dimensions and then how to get the money shot. The money shot for example is the before and after shot showing the improvement compared to how the surface was originally.

Had to do this a lot with the "swirls" issue because just like most people, most TV crews didn't know the difference between a swirl and squirrel...

Now they do and now they now how to capture swirls and no swirls with their cameras. At the time of filming we/I can only go by what the camera crew and the produce say and if they say,

"we got the shot"

Then we move forward...

Need to work on tires shots a little more... but we did in fact take the appearance of the tires to a higher level and I gave Don a bottle of the Opti-Coat Tire Gel to maintain his Mustang's tires.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

M 9o ip I op po m . . P

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast