autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Best product to remove oxidation from single stage paint

Quote Originally Posted by Tino7 View Post

Am working on a 94 honda accord the paint is very oxidated.

It seems to have been repainted a few years back with a single stage paint. Thank you for the help

The #7 technique is really for antique paint that is important to someone.

Not that it wouldn't work for an oxidized newer single stage paint job because it would but for a newer oxidized paint job you might as well attack it with a modern compound and grind off the dead oxidized paint. This will reveal a clean base of good paint and then polish and wax.

Most important... after you restore this single stage paint keep in mind single stage paint will oxidize readily unlike modern clearcoats so to keep it up you'll want to

"Find something you like and use it often"

That's a quote I've used for decades in the forum world and also an article. Point being, find a one-step cleaner/wax and then dial in a process to quickly apply it and remove it and this single stage paint will always look brand new.

I'd recommend the brand new 3-step process in the McKee's line. We recently buffed out a 1985 Chevy Van with a one-year old single stage paint job.

1985 GMC Rally Van - Extreme Makeover! With McKee's 37 - FLEX- RUPES - BOSS

Here in South Florida, single stage paint can and will oxidize very quickly and this is exactly what happened to the single stage paint on this van.

And after you restore the paint the new McKee's Jeweling Wax would be the PERFECT maintenance product for the exact reasons I explained in this article,

Jeweling Wax - Definition

From the above article,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Perfect for regular maintenance of daily drivers
    Vehicles that are used as daily drivers are exposed to all sorts of attack to the exterior finish. This is especially true for vehicles in geographical areas where it rains.

When it rains, the cars driving in front of your car spray water from the road onto your car. The water spray contains oily fluids dripped onto the road by the hundreds and even thousands of cars that drive over the road each day. This oily water spray also contain dirt and the effect is this oily, dirty water accumulates to form road film on your car's paint.

A jeweling wax is powerful enough to remove road film to restore a clean paint surface without removing measurable amounts of paint like compounds, medium cut polishes and medium cleaning cleaner/waxes or AIO's.

And this also applies from the above article,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The least aggressive approach
    Because the factory clearcoat on a modern car is approximately 2 mils thin (a post-it note is approximately 3 mils thin), a jeweling wax is the perfect choice for removing minor imperfections like marring caused by washing or wiping with drying chamois or microfiber towels.

Educated car owners understand their car's paint is thin, they also understand that over time and with use defects accumulate in and on the paint reducing the shine, gloss and smoothness previously present or attained by a professional detailing session.

Thus a method is needed to remove any accumulated defects, staining or oxidation that is also the least evasive to the paint, that is a method that is very non-aggressive so as to remove only the minimum measure of paint to re-level the surface and restore the paint to maximum shine, gloss, clarity and smoothness.

A jewelling wax is the perfect choice since it is less aggressive than most cleaner/waxes and AIO's on the market and also because it has the ability to create the same high quality finish a fine cut or ultra fine cut polish is able to create. T

Thus you can correct and protect while preserving as much as is possible the original film build of clear paint on a vehicle.

Here's a couple before and after pictures of the oxidized single stage paint on the van

Before

After

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow those are really nice results great job. I really appreciate all the help and knowledge you have given me I can't wait to try this out on my own car !

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best product to remove oxidation from single stage paint-uploadfromtaptalk1458695497498-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best product to remove oxidation from single stage paint-uploadfromtaptalk1458696383786-jpg thanks to all the help I have received and read huge improvement 👍

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

What products, tools and techniques did you end up using?
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I started off with a wool pad and some m205 but the paint was so oxidized that the pad kept getting full of gunk. I tested a small spot by wet sanding first with 2000 grit then using m205 followed my some ultimate compound I had. And finally I topped it with Gold class carnauba wax. Wet sanding it first made it much better and easier to polish with out having the pad become gunked up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12