autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

help/advice about wet sanding marks

need help/advice - i have some big circle scratches on my truck and my friend tried to help out by wet sanding an area with 1000 grit sandpaper.. i just had him stop once he sanded because i didn't want to make it worse

my question is could this panel be saved or do i need to have it repainted?

i have attached some pictures

thanks guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help/advice about wet sanding marks-222-jpg   help/advice about wet sanding marks-333-jpg   help/advice about wet sanding marks-444-jpg  
    Last edited by goblue4016; 10-07-2015 at 07:59 AM. Reason: adding more pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help/advice about wet sanding marks

1000 grit was likely not the best choice, but its likely salvageable. you will need to step it down with some more sandpaper, and then polish it out.

Read/watch this, and others will chime in with their experiences:

How To Remove Scratches, remove scratches from car paint, removing car scratches

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see where you have gone through the clear so it shouldn't need repainted. As roguerobot said I would sand over the marks with some 2000 grit wet sandpaper, working your way out from the original spot about six to ten inches to level off the area and buff with the appropriate compound but be very cautious so you don't burn through the clear.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys - the middle picture with the swirls is another section I need to do, when I rub my finger nail along I can feel the scratches, they are not really deep at all thoug. Do I wet sand that or will a compound be able to remove it?

Couple other questions - from what I have read I should use m105 and m205 on the wet sand marks.. Should I use that on the swirl marks also?

And I admit I have been bad with my truck and have used the automatic car washes so I have a bunch of car wash swirl marks all over the truck.. Never again do I want my truck looking like this so no more auto car washes lol. What type of compound polish should I use for the bulk of my vehicle that doesn't need wet sanding or anything and just has the car wash swirls?

Also I am going to pick up the harbor freight DA polisher - but what kind of pads should I buy? Wool? Foam? Light cutting? Heavy cutting? Etc..

Sorry for all the news questions but I am excited and eager to learn!

Again thanks for the help all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goblue4016 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys - the middle picture with the swirls is another section I need to do, when I rub my finger nail along I can feel the scratches, they are not really deep at all thoug. Do I wet sand that or will a compound be able to remove it?

Couple other questions - from what I have read I should use m105 and m205 on the wet sand marks.. Should I use that on the swirl marks also?

And I admit I have been bad with my truck and have used the automatic car washes so I have a bunch of car wash swirl marks all over the truck.. Never again do I want my truck looking like this so no more auto car washes lol. What type of compound polish should I use for the bulk of my vehicle that doesn't need wet sanding or anything and just has the car wash swirls?

Also I am going to pick up the harbor freight DA polisher - but what kind of pads should I buy? Wool? Foam? Light cutting? Heavy cutting? Etc..

Sorry for all the news questions but I am excited and eager to learn!

Again thanks for the help all!
    m105 should be fine for both areas. For a newbie I would buy a heavy cut foam to use with the m105. Just go slow and stop frequently to check your work and finish with a nice polish. As far as the car wash swirls, we would probably need some pictures to know for sure what to use.

Post Thanks / Like

M105 will remove 1200 grit sandpaper marks. You can also get Meguirs Ultimate Compound if you can't find M105, its very close, and much easier to find. Finish it off with Ultimate Polish.

Get foam pads. You can get the ones at HF, but they won't last long. The Lake Country pads here on AG are much much better. You would want to get the orange pads for compounding, the white for polish, and black for waxing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you suggest I clay bar before or after wet sanding and compounding/polishing the truck?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goblue4016 View Post
    Would you suggest I clay bar before or after wet sanding and compounding/polishing the truck?
    Yes, I would. You should watch this.
    "Mike Phillips & Bruno Massel - How to detail your car with Wolfgang" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/N9r5XS0xriI

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect thanks for the vids and advice all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast