autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a permanent solution for headlight restoration?

I've read some good and bad things about what to apply as protection for your headlights. From what I've seen; Sealant is best but only lasts a few months while clear coat lasts much longer but some don't recommend it??

Any help is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's a permanent solution for headlight restoration?

I'm not really sure if there is a permanent fix for headlights.

A coating specific to plastic or real 2K clear coat might be the longest lasting. Paint protection films might be just as good or better and easier to remove once it fails as compared to 2K clear. It would probably handle rocks and debris better too.

I had seen a DIY on headlight PPF but I can't remember where it was. He was replacing the film he had put on something like five years ago, and the light looked brand new after he had taken the film off. The PPF was looking pretty rough at the point of replacement though.

I have been using Optimum's Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight coating.

Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating, headlight coatings protectants

Looks good so far on my car I did about nine months ago.

Permanent? Depends on how you define the word.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is permanent unless you do upkeep on the headlights. Just like the clear coat failed from the factory painting it again with clear coat will fail again in the future. Same thing holds true for Optimum Opti-Lens headlight coating. Using a sealant a couple times a year and a spray wax each time you wash your vehicle will keep your headlights shining bright. Obviously the headlights you're referring to didn't have that done to it or you wouldn't be considering fixing them at this point. Autogeek carries another product that will keep the headlights looking nice if you don't wash and wax your car on an occasional basis. There are several products available but Plexus is in my opinion the one that will work stand alone. Spray it on monthly/after washing, or after rain and you shouldn't have any trouble with your headlights once you get them polished out and looking good again. Here's a link: Plexus is the most effective plsatic polish available for cleaning, protecting,and polishing all kinds of plastic. plexus, plexus plastic

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding Opti-Lens lasts about twice as long as OC 2.0...which is about 2 years (vs. 1 for OC 2.0) on a car that is outside all the time.

I usually do 2 coats of Opti-Lens, someone said recently to use 3 for lights where you've sanded off the factory coating...I'm not really sure how much that is going to help. I guess 2 years isn't really that bad since the factory coating seems to last ~5 years (again, for a car outside 24/7). I would love something more "permanent" but I guess that's going to be as noted a 2K clear or a UV-cure coating like they use at the factory, which is a little beyond what I'd prefer to do.