autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

help with pads....maybe a stupid question but...

hey sooo this might be a stupid question but i am new to DA machines...so what i am wondering is i have a meguiars 8 inch buff pad (i have the burgundy cutting and the tan finishing) 8 inches is a lil big for what i am trying to do the 6 1/2 fit a lil beter but i think 6 or 5 1/2 would be even better...so my question is has any one ever cut a pad to make it smaller..the only thing i see that would make it hard is keeping it in a perfect circle. but with the meguiars pads if you flip it over the "label/backing area" (velcro part) does not come all the way to the edge its like a inch in from the edge all the way around so that would cut 2 inches off the diameter and i was thinking i could use the backing (velcro) area as a guide to keep it in a circle. i know some people might laugh at this but i cannot find ANY smaller pads any where locally and i am tring to do this before the amount time it would take to order them....any thoughts would help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help with pads....maybe a stupid question but...

I'd say you're better off just buying the right size pads. Not worth risking the pad failing while your working on the car.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    I'd say you're better off just buying the right size pads. Not worth risking the pad failing while your working on the car.
    Yeah, I'm definitely in favor of this. You can't rig a proper paint treatment. As Mike says "polishing paint is an art form". Mona Lisa wasn't painted with a tooth brush. Just sayin'. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try it, what do you have to lose? That pad is way too big for a traditional DA. What are you going to cut it with?

Post Thanks / Like

I just cut a 7.5" pad down to fit the new 5" backing plate I have, I had to use a sharp knife b/c I was also cutting through the Velcro pad, but I succeeded in making a viable wax application pad for my PC.

I agree with Setec, give it a try, but be very careful when you go to put pad to paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say go ahead and try it as well, especially if you are just going to cut it up to the edge of the velcro. I would use a brand new razor blade...the main thing to avoid in my mind would be pushing down to much with a dull blade around the edge of the velcro and the velcro detaching from the rest of the pad around the edge.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

If I were to do this (and I have) I'd lay my backing plate fairly centered on the velcro of the pad. With backing plate attached to the pad but off of the polisher, I'd use a thick tipped magic marker to draw a thick line on the pad's velcro around the edge of the backing plate, then remove the backing plate and cut around the outer edge of the black line, leaving the black line. This way you have approx. 3/16" to 1/4" of pad extending past the edge of the backing plate.

Only way it could hurt is if you have backing plate velcro exposed with the pad on it. I say give it a shot.