autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting and Polishing combo

thinking of taking another crack at my candy white VW paint, my first time didnt really do a whole lot of correction. used lake country orange pads and wolfgang TSR 3.0 with a 6 inch Griot's Garage DA with a 6 inch and 3.5 inch backing plate, but the scratches stayed for the most part, got the superficial stuff but im looking to do more work. So here are my options, I could use Meguiars professional DA compound and DA polish with Meguiars DA cutting pads and a foam polishing pad. I could use the Microfiber cutting pad with the foam pad and use Wolfgnag TSR again and Wolfgang finishing glaze. Or I can use the microfiber cutting pad and foam polishing pad with AMMO Leveling fluid and Jewelers polish. So pretty much I know the pads im gonna use to get more cutting power, Its just about the compound and polish I could use. Also im getting a 5 inch backing plate cause i hear its better for correcting paint. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting and Polishing combo

Since you're already in the Wolfgang line, why don't you just step up to Uber, then go back to TSR?

Post Thanks / Like

"Or I can use the microfiber cutting pad and foam polishing pad with AMMO Leveling fluid and Jewelers polish."
    If you already have the leveling fluid, then use that.
    Personally, I rely on FG400 for heavy correcting. FG400 finishes nicely too because it's a diminishing compound.

Post Thanks / Like

So you think just stepping up the product would work? My paint is apparently a rock. My only hesitation about gettting the Uber is that I would have to then go over the whole car with the TSR then for a third pass go over it with the finishing glaze. Three stages is a lot of time and work. and the car is brand new, 7000 miles on it and i bought it off the showroom floor so its got scratches from people touching and leaning on it. I figured the microfiber cutting pads would not only cut better but also cut down on tie needed for the correcting.

Has anyone used the meguiars professional compound and polish? they are about half the price of the wolfgang products and the bottles are bigger. thats why i wanted to know if maybe they even worked better than the wolfgang stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyfe12 View Post
    So you think just stepping up the product would work? My paint is apparently a rock. My only hesitation about gettting the Uber is that I would have to then go over the whole car with the TSR then for a third pass go over it with the finishing glaze. Three stages is a lot of time and work. and the car is brand new, 7000 miles on it and i bought it off the showroom floor so its got scratches from people touching and leaning on it. I figured the microfiber cutting pads would not only cut better but also cut down on tie needed for the correcting.

Has anyone used the meguiars professional compound and polish? they are about half the price of the wolfgang products and the bottles are bigger. thats why i wanted to know if maybe they even worked better than the wolfgang stuff
    With all due respect, the scratches are probably not from people touching and leaning on the car, it's from the dealer wash bay, or the salesmen wiping it down with towels they dropped on the floor.

If you are referring to Meg's D300 and D301/302, sure they are good. You are right that in today's world, you should be able to do a two-step correction, especially on a white car. If you use the Wolfgang Uber, you can probably skip right to the Finishing Glaze, or use the TSR and skip the Finishing Glaze. The TSR and the FG should finish out about the same, but the TSR has more cut.

Or use D300 and follow it with D301 or D302. Or M100/101/105 and M205. Or use Menzerna. Or Optimum. Or I don't know how many other systems, they are all good today.

Post Thanks / Like

If you finish-down the FG400 properly, which isn't that hard, you'll be LSP ready on a white car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    If you finish-down the FG400 properly, which isn't that hard, you'll be LSP ready on a white car.
    Yeah, that too...we should reinforce to the OP that you don't HAVE to step through all the "steps", once you get your desired results, you're done. Most of today's compounds are capable of an excellent finish, especially on hard paint in a light color.

Post Thanks / Like

your probably right, the bulk of the scratches are straight line scratches along the fenders, tops of the door and all over the roof, probably from a brush on a extension poll. and yea that's the ones, d300 compound and the polish. I mean I know the concern of most people is to take too much off. But I feel like every time I touch the paint I am never aggressive enough.

FG400 I think I was looking at that for a bit. But I chose the wolfgang system cause i figured using a dedicated compound followed by a dedicated polish would get better results than just one product

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the Uber will finish without the need for TSR since it's a diminishing abrasive too. Let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

ok i would like to poss two final questions

1. Do you think the combo of WG Uber and Finishing Glaze is on par or better than Menzerna FG400 and SF4500? Cause if the Menzerna stuff is worth the extra money then I will happily fork over the money, but it would only cost me about 39 bucks for the Uber seeing as i already have the finishing glaze.

2. Do you think I could use these products with my current 6 inch orange and white LC foam pads? Or should I get the 5 inch backing plate and buy new pads?

oh btw any tips for getting in the door handle wells? I have CCS hand polishing pads, but I feel like it doesn't cut enough to get rid of the scratches in there.

I really appreciate the help guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast