From someone new to the cut and buff program. In the past a good paint job was good enough. But with all these cool products to work with I just had to branch out and give cut and buff a try. I like the end result. It is a better finished product by miles. Most of my paint work has been clear coat repaints. And let me add I'm using single stage paint. On the first couple I was scared of that wool pad since it is a serious cutting pad and I didn't want to "cut" through to primer. What happened? I left sanding marks in the paint. My final sanding paper was 2000 grit. You have to look for them, but they're there. Can the owner see them? You kidding. But I can. I'm working on a way to get that car back in the garage so I can get those sanding marks out of the paint, with a wool pad. I'm just don't think you can get the sanding marks out with a foam pad, in a reasonable amount of time. On my next one I'm going to try finishing up with those 3M 3000 and 5000 grit sanding disk.
How much are you taking off with each buffing? This is something that will just take time to get a feel for. And it's a bit scary. That is why you don't shoot all of your paint.