autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Toy - #5000 Grit Trizact Foam Finishing Discs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    And less aggressive or less powerful tools, for example a PC with a microfiber or foam cutting pad.

Awesome.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    some companies have sanding disc's that is EVEN FINER then 5000 grit, i believe they produce 12,000 grit discs
    I think the company you're referring to is called Micro Mesh?

Didn't get to sand with them today but will do so tomorrow and post some pictures. Plus I'll see just how non-aggressive I can get and still remove the sanding marks.

opie_7afe

you are correct mike!, that is the company that makes the 12k grit disc's. i really need to get some 5" or 6" discs here soon. that is my next project now that i do not need any more detailing chemicals....is to work on my own car and get the front end painted...

Lets start a bet on what product will remove 5,000 grit sanding marks...im guessing 205 on white would remove with ease, car pro fixer would be a good contender on a black pad, maybe even pinnacle finishing glaze on a black pad will remove 5,000 grit.

Post Thanks / Like

I think MF/M105/G110v2 could even pull out Abralon 4000 grit sanding scratches.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Good lord. I just used 3000 grit for the first time a few days ago and was able to polish out most of it with optimum finish polish by hand. Got impatient and finished it quicker with with optimum polish II.

Could you buff this out this 5000 grit with a cleaner wax?
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    One of my students that attended our last Boot Camp Class just bought a 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera and it has been recently painted. Tim has contacted the painter to get the specific about how much paint was sprayed and the painter says he sprayed enough to do a second, higher quality wetsand process to it.

So for sure we're going to finish out with these #5000 Grit Finishing Discs.

Tim's 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera

I'm planning a class on wetsanding with a real car to sand down and as of today I'm still in the planning stage.

I have a couple other guys in this area that want their cars sanded and buffed too that are getting their cars painted so I can make sure they talk to the painter and have plenty of paint sprayed onto the car.

I need to get a head count as to how many people want to attend this class. Price will be like the Boot Camp Class, that's $600.00 for a Saturday, Sunday class with $200.00 merchandise credit at Autogeek.net

In the past I've had a lot of guys post they want to learn to wetsand and actually dampsand but it's a huge undertaking to try to knock it out in 2 days.

Seems like we made a pretty good dent in a GTO in one day. I would encourage anyone interested in learning damp sanding technique to take advantage of this opportunity. The class last July was incredible.

Post Thanks / Like

d300 on a mf pad will take care of 5000 no sweat on a D/A.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I'm curious to see how everything turns out!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEE BEST View Post
    I think MF/M105/G110v2 could even pull out Abralon 4000 grit sanding scratches.
    A polishing pad and po85rd can pull out the 4k marks easily.
    A passion for perfection!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Robert8194 View Post
    Seems like we made a pretty good dent in a GTO in one day. I would encourage anyone interested in learning damp sanding technique to take advantage of this opportunity.
    Considering that most of the people in this class had never wetsanded by hand or by machine and most had never used a rotary buffer with an aggressive wool pad and compound to remove sanding marks out of an entire car... yes I consider this project very successful

Pictures & Comments from July 10th, 2011 Sunday Detailing 102 - Advanced Class

Here's a few pictures from our most recent Wetsanding Class, the pictures kind of tell the story...

Instead of using demo hoods we have an actual car. It was painted Wednesday night and has a lot of orange peel which should really give our students a great experience learning how to hand sand and machine dampsand.

All taped off and ready to go!

Check out Daniel as he practices perfect technique for wet sanding by hand.

And there's Sergio! I don't think I've seen this guy without a smile on his face.

Tavares wet sanding the roof by hand.

Time to show the guys how it's done with the 3M Pneumatic Air Sander.

Tackling the small areas with the Griot's Garage 3" Polisher, Meguiar's 3" interface and 1500 grit sanding disc.

And then it was time to break out the trusty PC 7424XP.

Looks like two professionals in the making right there!

Sergio and Tavares tackle the roof with the G110v2 and PC 7424XP.

The students from that class did an awesome job of sanding and buffing the paint and more importantly learned the techniques required to undertake a full wetsanding project especially with a car that had extreme orange peel

The goal of the class is not to make each person an expert, that's not realistic in a one=day class. The goal is to bring up each person's comfort level with the terms, products and techniques used for wetsanding paint and using rotary buffers.

Trying to go from incredibly horrendous orange peel to a show car finish in 6-7 hours with a group of people that are all new to the wetsanding process is a worthy goal but realistically, after the class there was still a lot of sanding to the lower panels left to do and a thorough compounding to make sure all the sanding marks have been removed.

Over the weekend I finished all the sanding, cutting and polishing and I'm happy to say the horrendous orange peel has been removed, the paint polished to a high gloss and she's ready to be returned to the owner. Here's a few pictures before the car leaves today...

After Shots

Quote Originally Posted by Robert8194 View Post

The class last July was incredible.
    I agree, it was a stellar class to have been a part of and I'm thankful to have also been a part of it.

Here's a close-up of the Extreme Makeover Team for the GTO

From left to right...

Dan, James, Tavares is behind Sergio and myself, then Robert, behind Robert is Nick, then Dan then Eric

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast