autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

what products needed for machine sanding

Project: 2005 Pacifica with factory paint. No bodywork, clean carfax. Just purchased. Kind of a darker greyish blue.

Tools available: g100 DA, GG 3" mini polisher, Makita rotary for the buffing, Megs sanding backing pad

Hand sanding experience on factory paint: Sanded a whole dark blue Solstice about 80-100% flat last year that turned out awesome. 1/4 of a '96 dark red Tahoe nearly flat while removing deep swirls and scratches. Several cars with a panel or less for scratch removal.

Goal: reduce, but not necessarily eliminate orange peel. This thing has the worst factory peel I've seen in awhile and I can't live with it. I would like to explore machine sanding if an electric DA is a competant tool. I don't have access to an air powered DA.

What would I need for backing plate and papers for this? I will also be using 2000, 2500 and 3000 by hand as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what products needed for machine sanding

i only have experience with 3m trizact paper but i like em. but alot of $. i like to use an interface pad so i dont hit the paint with the BP. i actually like my PC over my ingersoll rand pneumatic.
    You. You're good you. No, no you're better then good, you're REALLY good.
    Names Jesse. Mad Skillz? I has them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry...I just found a couple threads on materials.

I guess the other question would be which polisher the 3" or 6", would be the best for the job, or if I should have both prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

both
    You. You're good you. No, no you're better then good, you're REALLY good.
    Names Jesse. Mad Skillz? I has them.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the old g100 powerful enough, or should I pick up the new GG or pcxp?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dnoraker View Post
    Sorry...I just found a couple threads on materials.

I guess the other question would be which polisher the 3" or 6", would be the best for the job, or if I should have both prepared.
    If you want to play it extra safe, (because factory clear coat paints are thin), then just get the #3000 Unigrit Dampsanding Discs in both 6" and 3"

The 3" discs work awesome on the 3" Griot's Mini Polisher. Check my Facebook page for some pictures I just posted using it to dampsand on the GTO out in the studio...

My Facebook Page

The old Megs G100 is plenty powerful enough to dampsand with.

Also, under wetsanding on my article page there's a ton of articles on wetsanding and dampsanding.

Post Thanks / Like

So, if I wanted to dampsand with either the 3" or 6" polisher, I would want:

Unigrit backing plate
    Unigrit 1500 grit finishing disks
    Unigrit 3000 grit finishing disks
    Unigrit foam interface pads

I will stick to the 3000 grit on the Pacifica as long as it has enough cut to reduce the orange peel enough. I'm not looking to make it completely flat, just enough to bring the gloss and DOI up noticeably. Maybe 50% reduction in the depth of the orange peel? I'm sure this thing had never been buffed before, either.

I traded in my '06 Altima (in my avatar) for the Pacifica for more seating and space to fit kid#3, and since our other vehicle is a (very shiny) 180k minivan, the Pacifica has to be my "hot car" for now. It was very sad standing there letting go of my swirl-free, reflective car and picking up one covered in swirls with very distorted reflections.

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnoraker View Post
    So, if I wanted to dampsand with either the 3" or 6" polisher, I would want:

Unigrit backing plate
    Unigrit 1500 grit finishing disks
    Unigrit 3000 grit finishing disks
    Unigrit foam interface pads

I will stick to the 3000 grit on the Pacifica as long as it has enough cut to reduce the orange peel enough. I'm not looking to make it completely flat, just enough to bring the gloss and DOI up noticeably. Maybe 50% reduction in the depth of the orange peel? I'm sure this thing had never been buffed before, either.

I traded in my '06 Altima (in my avatar) for the Pacifica for more seating and space to fit kid#3, and since our other vehicle is a (very shiny) 180k minivan, the Pacifica has to be my "hot car" for now. It was very sad standing there letting go of my swirl-free, reflective car and picking up one covered in swirls with very distorted reflections.

Dont be sad man...its a new adventure! You know some photos of what you're working with would be awesome...and if you happened to do a write up on this it would be even more awesome once you get all the stuff you need.

Like Mike said your G100 is fine for sanding..unless you're just looking for an excuse to get a PC or GG lol. GG has a ton of power and i really love mine. Never tried the NEW PC but the GG is much nicer than the old PC IMO..The old PC still has its duties though...LIKE sanding...and used for my carpet brush attachment
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I just try to remember that I made the trade for my family. With kid #3 coming in Feb, I didn't want to cram three kids in the back of my Altima and continue to deal with the 250hp running through a manual tranny on MN roads. The Pacifica has a third row, another 1000+ pounds and AWD. I also jumped up to heated leather and 19" factory chrome rims. The 3.5 is underpowered, but down the road maybe I'll get an 07 or 08 with the 4.0.

I hope I have time to do a proper writeup. Heck, I hope I have time for any of this. My plan is to do a panel or two at a time from sanding through sealant. That's after the dealership does a little PDR work on a few dings.