autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary VS Dual Action for Compounding

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I'll go on record as saying the below and note that as a veteran of the NXT vs Zaino Wax Wars I am very good at picking and choosing each and every single word I use on this forum and in the sentence below.

"The use of the rotary buffer is the fastest way to remove defects, (remove paint) no matter what the shape of the panel and from paint that is close to edges and or objects"

And the reason I included the last portion in that sentence about buffing near objects is because with any free spinning orbital and to a lesser degree with gear driven orbital polishers, it's more difficult to apply cutting ability to the outer edge of the pad because when the pad is oscillating only a portion of the pad is in contact with the paint near the object AND when the spinning pad comes into contact with the edge of the object the friction between the pad and the object will slow or stall pad rotation for free spinning tools. I think the 5mm gear driven orbitals like the Makita PO500C and the RUPES Mille are able to do correction work to the paint next to an object and an edge or raised body line (and for sure curved panels), but overall the rotary buffer still trumps all other tool options simply due to the single direction rotating action and the ability to buff right up to the surface of a protruding object (affixed to a body panel), without pad stall. Plus there are small pad options for rotary drive tools that also make the rotary tool action more effective.
    There's a reason you write the articles rather than clowns like me.

Post Thanks / Like

The below is a paragraph directly from the manufacture website. To me, it is misleading, directed towards the general public and discounts what a professional detailer brings to the table.

Obtaining a perfectly polished surface in the least amount of time possible was a primary aim of the BigFoot project. Traditional polishing methods generally require an experienced technician and are very time consuming due to the various steps of sanding, polishing and treating post-polish holograms. BigFoot simplifies the polishing process, substantially reducing time and producing an optimum result with just one step. Thanks to the random orbital movement, BigFoot’s innovative approach eliminates holograms and the need for post-polishing steps generally associated with traditional polishing methods.

Obtaining a perfectly polished surface in the least amount of time possible was a primary aim of the BigFoot project.
    Fastest speed to complete full paint correction?

Traditional polishing methods generally require an experienced technician and are very time consuming due to the various steps of sanding, polishing and treating post-polish holograms.
    This system doesn't require a skilled technician? Sanding is eliminated because of this system? Sanding no longer requires a skilled technician?

BigFoot simplifies the polishing process, substantially reducing time and producing an optimum result with just one step.
    You can do sanding and heavy cut compounding for paint correction in one step? No follow up to refine the finish?

Thanks to the random orbital movement, BigFoot’s innovative approach eliminates holograms and the need for post-polishing steps generally associated with traditional polishing methods.
    There is never any DA hazing from using heavy cut compound/pad combination? Never need post polishing?

I am a very technical person and I tend to analyze sentences. I think these tools are great but I can't stand ridiculous statements.

Post Thanks / Like

Rotary VS Dual Action for Compounding

Quote Originally Posted by jslym777 View Post
    The below is a paragraph directly from the manufacture website. To me, it is misleading, directed towards the general public and discounts what a professional detailer brings to the table.

Obtaining a perfectly polished surface in the least amount of time possible was a primary aim of the BigFoot project. Traditional polishing methods generally require an experienced technician and are very time consuming due to the various steps of sanding, polishing and treating post-polish holograms. BigFoot simplifies the polishing process, substantially reducing time and producing an optimum result with just one step. Thanks to the random orbital movement, BigFoot’s innovative approach eliminates holograms and the need for post-polishing steps generally associated with traditional polishing methods.

Obtaining a perfectly polished surface in the least amount of time possible was a primary aim of the BigFoot project.
    Fastest speed to complete full paint correction?

Traditional polishing methods generally require an experienced technician and are very time consuming due to the various steps of sanding, polishing and treating post-polish holograms.
    This system doesn't require a skilled technician? Sanding is eliminated because of this system? Sanding no longer requires a skilled technician?

BigFoot simplifies the polishing process, substantially reducing time and producing an optimum result with just one step.
    You can do sanding and heavy cut compounding for paint correction in one step? No follow up to refine the finish?

Thanks to the random orbital movement, BigFoot’s innovative approach eliminates holograms and the need for post-polishing steps generally associated with traditional polishing methods.
    There is never any DA hazing from using heavy cut compound/pad combination? Never need post polishing?

I am a very technical person and I tend to analyze sentences. I think these tools are great but I can't stand ridiculous statements.
    I really don’t see what the big deal is. You have to consider the word “traditional” and when you understand that when they say traditional they mean old school, like way old school, old compounds, old everything.

And believe it or not there’s still a ton of detailers [whether they’re body shop guys or mobile detailers] that still use antiquated products. There’s 2 detailing supply shops located in my immediate part of town here in LA and you’d be shocked to walk in there and find out that neither of them even knows what a Rupes polisher is! Still to this day you cannot buy pads for a DA polisher at either of the 2 so called detailing supply shops. I’m not even kidding.

I walked in there trying to buy some pads that I needed that same day and they had no clue ### I was talking about. But they have Meguiars SOLO pads and everything similar to that hanging on the walls like it’s still the 1990’s.

Old dogs that refuse to learn new tricks are still out there. They’ve been too busy working to ever even have the desire to think about detailing after their work days. Internet? The last thing they want to look at is anything detailing related.. They don’t have a clue and haven’t cared. That’s who they’re speaking to. And it makes perfect sense.

4. Likes Ronin47, mwoywod, dlc95, SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jslym777 View Post

That all depends on the paint. Softer paints will tend to mar easier than harder paints. But just to note, last year at Mobile Tech Expo Jason Rose and I taught a class together on ONE STEP correction using RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System and the point of the class was that on some/many paint systems, you can in fact get away with a one-step process assuming you're starting with GREAT abrasive technology.

What you can and cannot do is never known until you do a Test Spot and then it's up to the person doing the work to have the knowledge and experience to decide upon the course of action i.e. how many steps are needed to achieve the goal - whatever the goal is?

Not everone is looking for a 100% perfect black finish on all cars.

From last year,

Mobile Tech Expo 2017 - Classes this year

8: Faster processes, superior results more profit - Maximizing the BigFoot System for one-step correction work
    4:00am to 4:50am
    Presented by Mike Phillips & Jason Rose
    Autogeek.com & RUPES

Description
    The RUPES BigFoot polishing system is designed around the principles of efficient polishing, saving time, consuming less product, and ultimately delivering superior results. This class will center on the BigFoot system components and how you can maximize the selection of tools, compounds, and pads to achieve better results in less time by reducing steps.

It was a great class and very well attended.

6. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, dlc95 liked this post
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112