autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I sand through the clear?

I was trying to do a touch up paint repair on a scratch, and unfortunately I think I sanded through the clear. It didn't seem that way while I was sanding the paint, but it looks pretty obvious after I polished.

I'm confused though because the part in question still seems to reflect a little whereas the part where I touched up has zero reflection (as expected). Did I just not sand properly? Or do I still need to polish some more?

I was using M105 on an orange pad and M205 on a white pad w/ my GG6.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did I sand through the clear?

I can't tell from the pictures if you've gone through the clear or not and I'm not even sure about this, but it looks like you put too much paint 'around' the scratch. Paint around the scratch, or in other words, paint exceeding the margins of the scratch makes the sanding and polishing steps much more difficult and increases the risk of sanding/polishing through the surrounding area.

I know this doesn't help you this go-around, but if you or anyone else reading this has to do a similar touch-up in the future, remember this one thing... The more precisely you can apply the touch-up paint to the defect, and the defect ONLY, the more successful your repair will be. Ideally you would have no paint outside of the defect, but more realistically you definitely want to minimize any excess of paint surrounding the defect. And one other piece of advice, polishing a repair such as this is done much more effectively by hand than using a polisher. The polisher covers way too much area whereas by hand you can better isolate your polishing to the immediate defect area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I can't tell from the pictures if you've gone through the clear or not and I'm not even sure about this, but it looks like you put too much paint 'around' the scratch. Paint around the scratch, or in other words, paint exceeding the margins of the scratch makes the sanding and polishing steps much more difficult and increases the risk of sanding/polishing through the surrounding area.

I know this doesn't help you this go-around, but if you or anyone else reading this has to do a similar touch-up in the future, remember this one thing... The more precisely you can apply the touch-up paint to the defect, and the defect ONLY, the more successful your repair will be. Ideally you would have no paint outside of the defect, but more realistically you definitely want to minimize any excess of paint surrounding the defect. And one other piece of advice, polishing a repair such as this is done much more effectively by hand than using a polisher. The polisher covers way too much area whereas by hand you can better isolate your polishing to the immediate defect area.
    ^^^This^^^
    I usually fill the scratch with color and then apply multiple coats of clear until the repair area is slightly higher than the factory paint. Then I'll give it a few days in the sun to harden up, double up painters tape around the scratch so as to isolate the repaired area, and then go to town with wetsanding to level out the repair. Then I'll knock it down further with compound and polish to blend the repair. You have to be patient as it will take a few days to make the repair blend. Your also better off using color and then clear. Those combo color / clear "touch up" paints from the dealership never seem to cure fast enough to be worked and blended without getting gummy and pulled out of the scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's the weird thing! I don't remember putting paint there at all since that's so far away from the scratch! I understand seeing the blemish around the edges of the scratch, but I'm just confused by seeing the lighter color blemish below the actual scratch.

There was maybe 2 weeks in between the touch up paint job and polishing, and like 3 days between the sanding and touch up paint. The only problem was that it ended up raining a bit at night after I did the touch up paint (it was supposed to be dry for a few days but the weather is so hard to predict )

Post Thanks / Like

I'll venture to guess the light area below the scratch maybe a strike through or dangerously thin clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you did from what I can tell

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh. I don't get how I managed to sand through the clear.

I barely spent any time sanding and used 2000 grit for maybe 3 minutes and 2500 grit for 10 minutes. I was following a guide here, and the OP was sanding so much more than I did. He also sanded a much larger area too.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...procedure.html

Is there any way I can fix this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Yes you did from what I can tell
    I agree with Mike.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Without a re-spray no way to fix burn.

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer, I can't believe I sanded through the clear so fast. The factory clear must have been insanely thin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast