autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Straight Lacquer

I friend of mine called me today and asked me to look at a 56 Chevy he just purchased. It's been fully restored but the first thing i noticed that caught my eye was the rear 1/4 panels have what seem to be dry looking paint areas. It's on both 1/4's and I told him that it looks like after it was originally painted they may have gone back and tried to touch up a flaw or they burned the paint while buffing and tried to fix that. He said that the painter got the paint in California and it was old school lacquer. It's the aqua color. My question is what do you guys use on lacquer? It has some slight orange peel that I'm going to have to get out. I have a Flex 3401 and all colors of LC pads.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Straight Lacquer

Quote Originally Posted by WAXOFF View Post
    I friend of mine called me today and asked me to look at a 56 Chevy he just purchased. It's been fully restored but the first thing i noticed that caught my eye was the rear 1/4 panels have what seem to be dry looking paint areas. It's on both 1/4's and I told him that it looks like after it was originally painted they may have gone back and tried to touch up a flaw or they burned the paint while buffing and tried to fix that. He said that the painter got the paint in California and it was old school lacquer. It's the aqua color. My question is what do you guys use on lacquer? It has some slight orange peel that I'm going to have to get out. I have a Flex 3401 and all colors of LC pads.
    The thing about lacquer is that it should really be wet sanded. When lacquer is applied as a "new" paint job; it needs to be wet sanded between coats. If you're able to wet sand then that's what I would suggest. Do you have any pics?
    Does the color look like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Straight Lacquer-1956chevroletbelairconvertible2-jpg   Straight Lacquer-1956chevroletbelairconvertible-jpg  
    The Finishing Touch Auto Detail, LLC
    Serving Austin, TX | San Antonio, TX | Portfolio | Reviews | Contact Us

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Straight Lacquer

That's the color. I don't want to get into wet sanding. I don't have a paint gauge and this is a high 5 figure car. I don't have any photos but when you look very closely you can see a fine tape line about the "Chevrolet" emblem on the 1/4 panel. The weird thing is that its the same on both sides of the car. I just want to know of a product that wouldn't be too aggressive on lacquer.I have a lot of different products to try. Just looking for some info from more of an expert that me. He also just got a 61 Vette in black with clear that he wants me to remove some very fine scratches that look like someone dusted the car off with a dry rag. This one is a 6 figure car.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING