autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using Extreme, Super, Heavy cut compounds for Headlighs?

Did get board today and decided to play around with a junk light and some of those green kicten pot scrubbing pads.

Cut it to a 3" diameter and stuck it put on my backing plate. Wanted to see how aggressive they would be and how they would work as a cheap disposable disk.

I have pictures and feedback if anyone is interested. Some 50/50s comparing to 330, 500 grit.

Also thought about starting a thread and offering product/torture testing. Like, this is what brake fluid will do to this headlight if you:
    Wipe it right off
    Leave it for 30sec, 1min, 1 hr...

Or

What will TRIX actually do to this headlight if left on for the recommended paint dwell time and plus time like above. If you send me a sample to use of course.

Or APC or what ever.

What do you think?

I have two of the "lights" above the headlights from a 05 Colorado, and a headlight. Seems all or most if the outter factory coating is still there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Thank you for the input KMdef9

I do not have to much experience doing this but, this seems the opposite from what I have noticed. To me, it seems like it takes an exponentially longer time to remove the previous grit scratches.

Maybe it was more noticeable when the grits go up by 500 than it was with lower grits that go up by 200.

My method, in the end, was to sand 90deg to the last grit till I could no longer see them and then go over it again to be sure.

Did use a orbital palm sander(wood working version) with 330 to help remove some really bad crazing on one.

This is what I'm am trying to avoid by using the "heavy" cut compound.
    The first one seems to take longer because I am making sure I have removed all of the oxidation. From there it's leveling off with the next size grit. By hand it takes some time, but with a power tool it would be quick. Sand till you have a uniform haze, and then move onto the next. No point to keep going after that.

Did get board today and decided to play around with a junk light and some of those green kicten pot scrubbing pads.

Cut it to a 3" diameter and stuck it put on my backing plate. Wanted to see how aggressive they would be and how they would work as a cheap disposable disk.

I have pictures and feedback if anyone is interested. Some 50/50s comparing to 330, 500 grit.

Also thought about starting a thread and offering product/torture testing. Like, this is what brake fluid will do to this headlight if you:
    Wipe it right off
    Leave it for 30sec, 1min, 1 hr...

Or

What will TRIX actually do to this headlight if left on for the recommended paint dwell time and plus time like above. If you send me a sample to use of course.

Or APC or what ever.

What do you think?

I have two of the "lights" above the headlights from a 05 Colorado, and a headlight. Seems all or most if the outter factory coating is still there.
    We all enjoy seeing people experiment, so take tons of pictures and make sure to have controls.

But, I'd be worried about using something as unlevel as that, but if it works, post up your results. 330 is really aggressive, I've never had to use that.

Brake fluid would probably start to dissolve/breakdown the plastic if left on for too long, which would also remove the oxidation as well. Once, again, if you have the time and want to do before/after and 50/50, I'd look it over.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I'll try to get them up at some point. Need figure out how to present picture in larger size. Posted a pic the other day just to try and was too big. Cropped just a little and looking like thumbnail.?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I'll try to get them up at some point. Need figure out how to present picture in larger size. Posted a pic the other day just to try and was too big. Cropped just a little and looking like thumbnail.?
    Use the "Upload Photos" link above

You can adjust the size and detail of the photo by selecting from the different file sizes that appear above the link that is generated

Thanks for NOT posting thumbnails

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Using Extreme, Super, Heavy cut compounds for Headlighs?

Here's a test. I also just noticed the "preview post" button next to the "submit post" button.

Green kitchen pot scrubbing pad and 3M 3" drill style backing plate.

500 grit used wet on left, green pad on right.

Where I stopped playing.
    330 grit wet/dry on the left, green scrub pad only on the right. Both where directional sanded.

Does this size work ok or is it too big? Ends up being resized on my phone but nothing ridiculous when you click to expand.

Post Thanks / Like

Little review:

Might play around some more and sand with 400 grit to compare it to and start a little tread on it.

The green pad worked well at removing the remaining coating and seemed to work much quicker than he 500 disk, even after I had used an 800 disk first.

Pictures above do show slightly more aggressive sanding marks than 500 though. Maybe more comparable to 400?

Doubt there was much leveling done by the green pad but this would be done when you follow up with gritted paper.

It did chew through the factory coating quickly.

Green pad did get warm/hot pretty quick when used dry.

No heat issue when used wet even when bearing down on it.

Could be used in a pinch if you had a bad headlight to do and didn't have any low grit paper, no place to get it at the time, and there was a grocery store near by.

Or kept on hand with your kit to use as a cheap version of 400 grit to start with as a factory headlight coating stripper if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Little more messing around.

400 left, green pad right

Both below, 500 left, green pad right

After this the 500 grit and the green pad look the same. Did the right side again just to be sure.

Again, to me it seemed the green pad was better/quicker at removing the remaining coating. But did little to the headlight plastic. Working 500 and the pad side by side on the "raw" light, the pad produced almost no white residue while he 500 would.

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered some supplies to get me going again.

Looked into the CP Ceriglass that FFguy808 mentioned. Ended up ordering the small kit with the compound, pad ,and microfiber to try out. Will be trying to remove various grit sanding marks with this and trying it with out sanding at all.

Ordered a Meg's 3" backing plate ,soft interface, and a drill adaptor. Should keep everything low and close to the machine. Accidentally broke my 3M one, wasn't that fond of it anyway. I like that I can now work without the soft interface if I want unlike the 3M one I had.

Also ordered Optimum compound,polish, and a wool cutting pad.

Projects to test and work on;
    The good, the bad, and the ugly

The Good:

01 Forester. These were both lightly polished not long ago. Passengers side was worse than drivers before.

Passenger side

Drivers

The Bad:

98(I think) Ranger
    Both similar, most of the factory coating has failed, just a little left in the middle.

The Ugly:

90's Volvo Semi-truck, lights almost match it's paint

Will definitely be trying the Ceriglass on the last one, probably the Ranger too. Will play with the green scrubber some more for fun. Would like to try a partial polish with Forester maybe to see how Opti-Lens looks if you remove some of the factory coating but not all of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a few things from AG. Was out of compound and broke my 3M backing by tripping over my machine cord and knocking it down.

Have to go to the in laws today to help with some hardwood flooring. Their 4Runner lights are in bad shape and might work on if I have time. Not yellow, but cloudy and major cracking. Surprised they don't take on water.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't opened the Ceriglass kit yet, just poked at it.

Wow, those polishing blocks it comes with are really firm. I like! Wish I had ordered their rylon pads to go with it. Had given myself a $50 max birthday limit so it didn't fit in with what I got.

Might try using it with a foam pad or foamed wool on headlights but am a little afraid of not being able to remove the Ceriglass polish out of pads.

Should I be concerned or will it rinse right out?

Would like to get my hands on and try all of the CarPro correction pads/disks like the rylon, the denim and felt, and the spot correction.

Has anyone had a chance to use or handle all of these?

Would like to know the thickness and firmness of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast