autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How to wet sand a car - video

How to wet sand a car - Time Lapse Video

Back in March of this year, (2013), I did a complete wet sand, cut, polish and even machine waxed a 1964 Chevrolet Malibu and while doing this project, Yancy set the GoPro camera up to take a picture every minute.

It's been in queue for editing since then but I'm happy to announce it's now been edited and uploaded to our YouTube Channel.

How to wet sand a car in 8 minutes

Here's the steps I followed...

Covered windshield using the Beach Towel Tip.

Covered interior and convertible top with Eco-friendly drop cloth.

Removed easy to access chrome emblems and script.

Wiped entire car down with Wurth Clean-Solve per what I wrote in post #5 here.

Taped-off all edges and raised body lines using 3M Blue Vinyl Tape. Tape-off video here.

Machine sanded all body panels using a 2-step system

First sanding step: I used 3M Trizact #3000 Grit Discs. I used 3" discs for thin panels and around edges and body lines. Used the 6" discs for the major flat sections of each panel.

Second sanding step: I used 3M Trizact #5000 Grit Discs. I used 3" discs for thin panels and around edges and body lines. Used the 6" discs for the major flat sections of each panel.

Removed all sanding marks.
    For this I used the new Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound with a LC Wool Cutting pad on the Flex PE14. At the time I did this project back in March of 2013 this compound had just been introduced to the market, so it was a new compound and I think this is the first car completely sanded and compounded and caught on video using M100 Pro Speed Compound. Speed on the Flex PE14 = 1000 RPM.

Removed any swirls left by the wool pad and the compounding step.
    For this I used Meguiar's M205, the follow-up polish for M100 with a 6.5" Lake Country Flat Foam Polishing Pad on the Flex PE14. Speed on the Flex PE14 = 1000 RPM

Finish Polished to maximize gloss and ensure no holograms
    After using the rotary buffer with the M205 I re-polished every square inch of paint using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with a 5.5" Lake Country Foam Flat Finishing Pad on the Porter Cable 7424XP on the 6.0 speed setting.

Machine Waxed
    After wiping all the finishing polish off I machine applied Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax using the Porter Cable 7424XP with a 5.5" Lake Country Foam Waxing Pad on the 4-5 speed setting.

Removed Wax
    I removed the wax wearing microfiber gloves and using super soft rolled edge microfiber towels.

Comments....
    I wanted to document not only the process but how long it would take me to do this type of project all by myself working non-stop. If you watch the video you'll see around the 4:47 time stamp that the car has now been turned around and is facing forward in the garage.

Here's what was going on...

While I did the actual work non-stop, as in once I started in the morning I did not stop till end of day, I did have to spread the work out over two days as I have too many other job duties to process outside of the garage.

The first day I sanded all the horizontal panels and the driver's side panels. The second day I turned the car around and only had to sand the passenger side.

In a number of places you'll see me standing while I either sand and buff or sitting on the floor while I sand and buff and the reason for this is we don't have a car lift in our garage and proper technique when sanding and buffing is to always be looking across from the paint you're working on. This is especially true when sanding and compounding. I always say,

If you can't bring the car up to you, (with a lift), then you have to lower yourself to the car"

The entire process from start to finish as I listed the steps above except for the initial wiping down of the car with a waterless wash and removing the chrome trim took me approximately,

12 Hours

I hustled the entire time. Only a few times did I stop to either take a water break, switch to different products or pads, or talk to someone that may have entered the garage.

I don't recommend ever trying to do this type of work in a hurry as you'll make mistakes so I didn't hurry but I did hustle. Time is valuable for all of us and I did this during business hours so another reason I had to hustle is because when working in the garage, other job responsibilities are on standby.

Besides this time-lapse video of completely sanding and buffing out an entire car, I think the first time this was ever caught on a GoPro camera using time lapse video was when a team of guys and myself did the full wet sand, cut and buff to a 1969 AMX in November of 2012 as documented in this thread,

Time Lapse Picture Capture of the 1969 AMX Nebraska Project

This was a fun project and I hope you enjoy the video.

Mike Phillips

Re: How to wet sand a car - video

Here's everything I used from start to finish...

All tools, pads and products can be had on Autogeek.net or call Customer Care at,

1-800-869-3011 x206

Mike Phillips

It was cloudy the day Mike Gelter brought his 1964 Chevy Chevelle Malibu Convertible to Autogeek but I did take a few before pictures to show the current condition of the paint.

Under the cloudy sky you can see the orange peel, it actually looks worse under fluorescents and if I can find the "before" pictures I took under the florescent lights in the studio I'll add them to this thread...

IF you look closely you can see dieback in the paint, that's where the paint shrinks back into the prep sanding marks in the primer. These all sanded and buffed out.

Mike Phillips

Beauty Shots
    Until then, here's the beauty shots. I machine sanded twice, compound with wool and rotary once, polished with rotary and foam once, polished with a DA polisher once and then machine applied Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax.

Here's Mike the owner driving the car out of the garage...

The sun shots....

Into the trailer and back home...

Post Thanks / Like
    You sanded with 3000 and 5000 to remove the orange peel? It came out really nice. Was it repainted?

I think I counted two water breaks in 12 hours. Sheesh..., thats a few. Well good for you for hustling through.

It was a great video and nice to watch.

Thank you for it,

Art

Kappy

You did all of this in 12 hours? I'd still be taping the car.

Although wet sanding an entire car is probably something I would never attempt, I really enjoy watching someone with your skills do a job like this. I have no doubt that during your short lunch break you also managed to record the entire band track used in the video, and played all of the instruments. Nice work on the drums, by the way.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post

You sanded with 3000 and 5000 to remove the orange peel? It came out really nice. Was it repainted?
    Yes. This was a single stage catalyzed urethane paint job. Same guy that painted this also painted the 1928 Model A Hotrod we're using in the Detailing Boot Camp Class this weekend.

1928 Model A Coupe - Detailing Class Wetsanding Project

[quote=hernandez.art13;955973]
    I think I counted two water breaks in 12 hours. Sheesh..., thats a few.

Actually I took a lot more than that, you just don't see them as I didn't hold the glass up to the camera each time. If I remember correctly, the point about holding the water glass close to the camera right before it takes a picture is to remind people to stay hydrated when doing any intense detailing project. You sweat a lot and you need to replenish yourself to maintain your energy and efficiency.

The GoPro flashes a visible light each time it takes a picture, so if I wanted to share something I would just hold it in front of the camera until I saw the flash and after the flash went off go back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post

It was a great video and nice to watch.

Thank you for it,

Art

Thanks Art.

I personally think it came out really nice. For YEARS I've had people ask for a video on how to wetsand a car but no one is going to watch 12 hours of video.

With this time lapse video you can actually see each of the steps and the order they were done. You can also "stop" the video at any time to get a better look.

It's a LOT of work to sand down an entire car and not make any mistakes. I only know a few other guys that do this type of work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you were hustling! A car that size would probably take me 20+ hours to cut and buff. Great job!

Were there any runs or other bad spots that required more sanding? Or just 3000 then 5000 to knock down the texture?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

My first brand new car, a red 1964 Chevy Chevelle Malibu SS, 4 on the floor with a high revving 283 ci V8.

I think the sticker was around $3,200. Sure brings back some memories,

Thanks Mike, great job.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post

You did all of this in 12 hours? I'd still be taping the car.
    Yes, at least approximately. I had to take a few breaks and for these I would turn the camera off. I did keep a clock on the car throughout the entire process and kept track of the hours I worked.

I wouldn't recommend anyone try this at home but this was really the only way I could do it and justify the time away from other responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post

Although wet sanding an entire car is probably something I would never attempt, I really enjoy watching someone with your skills do a job like this. I have no doubt that during your short lunch break you also managed to record the entire band track used in the video, and played all of the instruments. Nice work on the drums, by the way.

I think the music soundtrack was performed by our very own in-house genius and that would be Yancy. I think he plays every type of musical instrument as he's very talented.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast