autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet sand new clear coat

Hello everyone - I'm new to the board and new to the business. I just opened a paint shop that specializes in refinishing race bicycles. Lots of carbon and high end steel and aluminum. Needless to say, there are lots of compound curves that I need to work on.
    As I am new to painting, I do have a bit more overspray and orange peel in my clearcoat that I need to level and buff out. I've been searching the forums and doing things on my own and found that a small orbital is the right tool in many situations (I'm getting pretty good using 1500/2000/3000 to wet sand) but what compounds should I be using along with 3" pads? Meguires 105/205 and then a swirl free polish to finish? There will be instances where I will to do it by hand as well but I'm just curious as I have no idea which pads to use.

Thanks,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wet sand new clear coat

Sounds like you've answered all your own questions

The only thing I would ad (which I'm sure you already know) is to be especially careful around the corners/edges

I would like to see of your work if possible (custom bikes)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What pads or brands of pads would you recommend?

Mike Phillips

Hi Bob,

Definitely get a Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher and use it as a dampsander...

Lots of pictures and links to the tool, pads, sanding discs etc that you'll want and need.

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Dampsanding with 3" Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

I'd also recommend getting a Flex PE14 and and an extension like you see in this pictures to make buffing out your sanding marks easy, and not a chore.

On Autogeek.net
    Surgical Buffing

Working on thin panels or intricate areas is what I call surgical buffing. In order to do surgical buffing you need the right tools.

We have these new 3" pads and together with a 3" backing plate and an adapter for using double side pads but I use them as an extension.

On Autogeek.net

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 3 x 1.25 Inch Foam Pads, hydrotech buffing pads, polishing pads, spot buffs

Flex-Foam HD Rotary Backing Plate, 3 inches

Optimum Double-Sided Rotary Adapter

Meguiars W63 Rotary Backing Plate 3 Inches

Rotary 2 7/8 inch Flexible Backing Plate

2-3/4 inch Hook & Loop Rotary Backing Plate

Same application, just a little different design, both work great.

On Autogeek.net

Lake Country Double-Sided Pad Rotary Buffer Adapter

Optimum Double-Sided Pad Rotary Buffer Adapter

As for compounds, Meguiar's M100 or M101 make removing sanding marks fast and easy. Get M101 if you're a foam pad guy or M101 if you're a wool pad guy.

Watch the video here for more info on these compounds...

Questions about Meguiar's M105, M101 and M100 Compounds? Watch this video!

Come to my next detailing boot camp class, I'll be covering machine sanding and compounding. I have two cars coming up and I should have one of them here for the class, either a

1969 Camaro
    1971 Chevelle

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bspaint View Post

What pads or brands of pads would you recommend?

I have some 4" wool pads from Lake Country that work really well, these were samples from Eric Dunn, (thanks Eric), but currently we don't carry them. We need too so I'll send the link to this thread to Nick and see if we can't get some onto the AG store.

We do have these brand new short pile PFW pads that just came in, hang tight and I'll take a picture for you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! that is an amazing amount of information so thank you. I did order the Griot's 3" orbital but I will need to wait on the Flex as this business is just starting up. Can I use the extensions, etc with the Griot's?
    I will put the classes on my short list of spending my frequent flyer miles (I used to travel a lot) as I've found hands on with instructors is the best way to learn and not feel so bad about screwing up and re-fixing....

Mike Phillips

Wow! that is an amazing amount of information so thank you.
    You're welcome, we like to make this forum over the top helpful...

I did order the Griot's 3" orbital but I will need to wait on the Flex as this business is just starting up. Can I use the extensions, etc with the Griot's?

Created an article to show you a few cool things and I actually answered your question about using an extension on a DA Polisher in the below article.

Click this link to see all the pictures and then look for the answer to your question...

Surgical Precision Buffing Tools

Here's a few tools for surgical precision buffing. I define surgical precision buffing as a way of using smaller pads, smaller backing plates, extensions on your rotary buffer and a lightweight, compact rotary buffer.

Using these smaller pads on a easy to hold and maneuver compact rotary buffer makes buffing out tight areas, thin panels, intricate designs, motorcycles, miscellaneous painted components like rear view mirrors, spoilers, windshield frames, a-pillars, etc. a lot easier and safer.

Going small...

I will put the classes on my short list of spending my frequent flyer miles (I used to travel a lot) as I've found hands on with instructors is the best way to learn and not feel so bad about screwing up and re-fixing....
    You'll love the class. It's fun, educational, hands-on and I always have cool cars to work on...